Re: [fukuoka_farming] forest restoration

  • emilia
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2002
      hi bob,
      clear-cutting exposes the forest floor to intense insulation & evaporation &
      deep compaction if big machines were used... as a result, the normal soil
      life of fungi, bacteria, worms, microscopic plants & animals of all kinds
      are destroyed & with fauna & flora of open lands coming in...if the
      clearcutting has taken place a long time ago the soil may be by now totally
      lacking mycorrhizae so it's possible that the vegetation growing now is
      associated with bacteria instead & not at all the type that was there with
      the original forest...
      try to find in ur region an untouched old growth forest corresponding to the
      same elevation & natural range than ur land, to collect seeds from it, the
      tree planting should rely on a wide mix of natives species to promote &
      restore the forest ecosystem with their complete set of native species &
      structures: if the site is really downgraded it may be necessary to start
      with tough, pioneer plants, & years later plant in later succesional species
      & u should as well collect soil (it should not dry out or been left too long
      exposed to the air) from the rhizosphere level of the younger trees of the
      mature forest from where u gather the seeds to inoculate the tree seeds
      with,( it's necessary to put back all the living critters & their feces back
      to the soil, soil arthropods are the regulators in most soil processes, they
      are the system catalysts that drive the microbial processes of chemical
      excitement & ensure the health & long life of the young trees as they keep
      start the seedlings, either directly on the ground making an small hole &
      depositing an small handfull of the collected soil in it with the seed, or
      start the seedling in the collected medium in a nursery but transplant as
      soon as sprouted early spring with the collected soil & being very careful
      not to shock the tree when transplanting as it can slow its growth rate for
      years beside fragilising it to diseases, either way once in the ground the
      seedling must be protected from predation, protecting also the soil with
      coarse woody debris, perhaps using bud-caps to protect the seedlings from
      browsing & from excessive light...imitating a canopy is not easy but
      essential for the good developement of the trees. perhaps u can start with
      planting alders which have a quick growth, leave a lot of leaves to feed the
      soil & u can remove later when the natural species are well stablished.
      consider as well the setting up bird boxes on poles to increase their
      natural habitat: they'll work as pest predators.
      what about roads in that land?