Urban farming--edible shade-tolerant plants

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2002
      LitRaz, Emilia, and all:

      It's good for city mini-farmers to see Emilia finding potential in the "captive soil" of pots and other containers, when the "soil" is a wonderful concoction of composting mulch.

      What she describes is similiar to my little urban backyard container garden, except that I sometimes also use (ouch!) plastic mulch covers too, if insects are a special problem. It is surprising what will grow in partial shade when the growing medium is just right. Lemon Balm, Oregano, Mint, Self-Heal, and the spicy Japanese green Perilla often thrive. I also have several types of leeks and a few blueberry plants and tomatoes (San Francisco Fog) that don't mind the shade. Some plants such as Christmans fern and cast iron plant hrive in deep shade. Hostas are supposed to be shade tolerant, but I have had no success with any variety of them.

      Canada's Office of Urban Agriculture has collected information about city farming for the past 24 years. Their "Urban Agricultural Notes" appear on http://www.cityfarmer.org Some of the approaches they present are sustainable, verging on Fukuoka's, and some are not.