Elaine Ingham's Website--also, science fiction fantasies

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2002
      To Roberto and all,

      Dr. Elaine Ingham's web site is http://www.soilfoodweb.com/thesfw.html

      I also prefer nature to manmade things. You are right to apply an "emergy" or total resources footprint audit to hydroponics. For hydroponics to ever be acceptable on a large scale, machines will have to become much more elegant and gossamer-like than they are now, plastic containers will have to be derived from plants like soybeans (quite possible as Henry Ford showed) instead of petroleum, manufacturing will have to be done under solar or wind power, and all inputs will have to be exquisitely balanced and recycled. Water will have to be condensed out of the air, collected in cisterns, or otherwise harmlessly derived. On earth, in most settings, the Fukuoka model will reign supreme. In truely nasty settings and away from earth, who knows what will work? Hydroponics is as good a guess as any. The smaller and more elegant the machines get, the more I like them, but I never like them as much as I like nature. If all the SUV's disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow, I would be quite happy.

      Still, if I ever need laser surgery, I'll be glad somebody invented the laser. But I don't want lasers in my garden.

      Best wishes,

      Robert Monie