Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Hello!

  • vaeltaja@reppu.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2005
      I haven't thought the variety thing much. Midsummer rye might be suitable, as Anders said, and there is some variation in our local winter wheat varieties in that how easily they start heading on the seeding year, but I have to search for information about their tillering capasity.
      I have been too lazy making seedballs, and since I aim at sowing of 10+ hectares, I have thought it unpractical to make even thousand(s) kgs seedballs. On the other hand, if it is possible to come down to 1/10th or less in seed amount, maybe then...
      Karri

      > I suggest that you find a local grain which has not
      > been
      > crossed with a
      > low T sum grain or spring wheat (most modern varieties are crosses with
      > Noah). Is there a
      > seed bank in your area? You may then find a good tillering variety.
      >
      > Seed sowing - well you can try the seed balls method of course. We only
    • abi
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 31, 2006
        Hey all,

        my name is abhi, this is my first post to the group so i think i'll
        just intro myself.

        I am an Indian student in Toronto, Canada. I have done much soul
        searching in terms of self-awareness and harmonious living in recent
        years and Fukuoka's words on farming truly appeal to me. I have no
        previous farming experience so I have joined the community garden on
        campus and have volunteered at many farms surrounding Toronto on top
        of my personal research.

        my intent for the future is to move to Boulder, Colorado and begin my
        practice of natural farming on a small plot and take life as it comes
        from there.

        My hope is to gain (and share) as much as possible to the community's
        knowledge.

        With love,
        ~abhi