access to books

  • souscayrous
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 8 3:10 PM
      I'd like to use this email to gather all the information I have as to how to
      order Fukuoka's books: it is a collaborative project (I hope) so if anyone
      has another source could they append it to the list below and then resend to
      the group.

      Firstly, there are no North American suppliers of Fukuoka's books, therefore
      these are the options:

      Contact the publishers directly, currently there are only Indian editions of
      Fukuoka's books in English available:

      http://www.kkbooks.com/ email: service@...

      Address: 38, Thanikachalam Road, Chennai - 600 017, India.

      Tel: +91+44 434 4519, Fax: +91+44 434 2009.

      They have the following books The One-Straw Revolution (75 Rs), The Natural
      Way of Farming (300 Rs) and The Road Back to Nature (300 Rs). Delivery can
      be expected 3-4 weeks after order, with postage and packing likely to double
      cost of books.

      OR

      British importer and distributor of these books

      http://www.permaculture.co.uk email: orders@...

      Address: Permanent Publications, The Sustainability Centre, East Meon,
      Hampshire GU32 1HR, England.

      Tel: +44 1730 823 311 Fax: +44 1730 823 322

      They have The One-Straw Revolution (7.95 GBP), The Natural Way of Farming
      (14.95 GBP) and The Road Back to Nature (14.95 GBP). You can order over the
      Internet by credit card. Airmail will add 35% to the price of the books you
      order. Books should arrive within two weeks, although I waited nearly 3
      months for the Natural Way of Farming (perhaps best to inquire if they have
      any in stock).

      I know Adam (Henne) has used another Indian website to order his Fukuoka
      books http://www.goacom.com/oib/.

      If you have never read any of Fukuoka's works and would like to get a feel
      for natural farming then try Steve Solomon's Soil and Health Library on the
      Internet at www.soilandhealth.org and click on the Agriculture Library link,
      accept the terms of the library, fill out your name and email and then you
      will receive a return email from Steve, specifying where you can read a 10%
      sample of Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution. He has many of the above
      details should you then want to go on and order one of Fukuoka's books.

      Take the time while there to look at some of the other books Steve has
      collected, many entire and freely available to read or download from the
      site: a resource that only goodwill and enthusiasm has provided. Steve
      Solomon's own Gardening Without Irrigation is an interesting read, with many
      ideas I will try to copy this summer, though I still prefer the idea of a
      mulch to his dust layer to retain moisture in the soil.

      However, if all else fails, for whatever reason, I am currently making an
      electronic version of The One-Straw Revolution, which will be available in a
      simple text document or an adobe pdf version, hopefully by the end of this
      month. Considering previous threads on this list concerning such an edition
      please contact me off-list if you would like a copy souscayrous@....
      If you have a website where you would like to put some or all of the book, I
      would be willing to edit it as necessary. If there is the consensus on this
      list to have a copy in the Files archive, I shall post it there also. There
      is, of course, no financial aspect to this electronic copy, just a wish to
      see Fukuoka's ideas reach as wide an audience as possible, a wish that is
      currently being stymied by the uncertain copyright status of Fukuoka's
      books. I intend only to make The One-Straw Revolution available in this way
      because it is Fukuoka's manifesto. His other books and the facts of natural
      farming come after the manifesto, first there must be the inspiration.

      Souscayrous

      Fukuoka's works are available in Indian English editions. They appear to be
      authorized but cannot be exported outside India by anyone other than the
      publisher.

      Here are two places to buy Fukuoka titles:

      1. From the publisher. Using airmail from the US, it will take 3-4 weeks to
      place and receive an order. You cannot use credit cards; payment must be
      mailed in advance by check drawn in US dollars. You start the process by
      e-mailing the publisher and requesting a price for the number of books you
      want and the shipping method you want--typically second class airmail.

      2. Order the same books from Permanent Publications' Earth Repair Catalogue
      (UK). You can order through the net using a credit card. International
      airmail will add 35% to the price, but you will have your books in about a
      week.
    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 8 3:31 PM
        REPLY: This is a most worthy project. Souscayrous, if
        you would like to borrow my copy of Fukuoka's lastest
        book (in Japanese) let me know and I will send it to
        you.

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 8 7:02 PM
          http://abe.com/

          1. Masanobu Fukuoka The One-Straw Revolution
          Rodale Press, 1978 Hard Cover. Excellent/Very Good. First Edition. ISBN:0
          87857 220 1. Bookseller Inventory # ar/r 37
          Price: A$ 170.00 (approx. US$ 88.84) convert currency
          Presented by Fine Books Classic Stamps, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          2. Fukuoka, Masanobu with Preface By Wendell Berry, Illustrated by
          Miller, Chuck The One Straw Revolution
          Emmaus: Rodale, 1978 Hard Cover. VG+/VG. 9th Printing. 8vo.
          ISBN:0-87857-220-1. Clean, bright, tight throughout; binding is sound with
          very light bumps to lower corners. Jacket is bright with 2 very tiny nicks.
          Bookseller Inventory # na175
          Price: US$ 48.97 convert currency
          Presented by Meadowlark Books, Fargo, ND, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          3. Fukuoka, Masanobu ONE-STRAW REVOLUTION, THE
          Pennsylvania: Rodale Press, 1978 Hardcover. Near Fine/Very Good. 1st Ed,
          3rd Printing. ISBN:0-87857-220-1. dj has slight edgewear, rubbing.
          Bookseller Inventory # 16756
          Price: US$ 120.00 convert currency
          Presented by White Mountain Books, Heber, AZ, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          4. Fukuoka, Yasako, Illustrated by Color Photographs Sushi and Sashimi
          : Simple Food, Fresh Flavours
          New York, NY, U.S.A.: Anness Publishing, Incorporated, 2001 Hard Cover.
          New/New. First Edition. New. 8vo - over 7�" - 9�" tall.
          ISBN:0754808181. Bookseller Inventory # 0141691
          Price: US$ 9.90 convert currency
          Presented by Arundel Books, Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          5. FUKUOKA, Masanobu. THE ONE-STRAW REVOLUTION. An Introduction to
          Natural Farming.
          Emmaus Rodale Press 1978. 3rd imp. 183pp, b&w photographs, line illus.
          Cloth-textured papered boards with d/w (extremities rubbed, small chips and
          tears). Very good. Illustrated by Preface by Wendell Berry. Ed by Larry
          Korn. Bookseller Inventory # 11136
          Price: A$ 75.00 (approx. US$ 39.19) convert currency
          Presented by Astrolabe Booksellers (ANZAAB), Sandy Bay, TAS, Australia
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          6. Fukuoka, Masanobu The One-Straw Revolution
          Emmaus, PA, U.S.A.: Rodale, 1978 Hard Cover. Very Good/Good-.
          ISBN:0553247395. Bookseller Inventory # 52667
          Price: US$ 119.00 convert currency
          Presented by J.E. MILES, A BOOKSELLER, CALIFORNIA, CA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          7. Fukuoka, Masanobu The Natural Way of Farming : The Theory & Practice
          of Green Philosophy
          New York, NY, U.S.A.: Japan Publications (U. S. A.), Incorporated, 1987
          Trade Paperback. As Is (see comments)/Good. ISBN:0870406132. pink
          highlighting intermittently to p. 120. cover and edge stains, cover
          creases, top front corner bumped . Bookseller Inventory # 542572
          Price: US$ 65.00 convert currency
          Presented by BLACK OAK BOOKS, ABAA, Berkeley, CA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          8. Fukuoka Masanobu The One-Straw Revolution. An Introduction to
          Natural Farming
          U.S.A., Rodale Press, 1978 8vo, 181pp. A near fine copy in very good d/w
          with minor fading to spine of d/w. Price clipped d/w also shows minor edge
          wear to top and lower edges. Bookseller Inventory # 17056
          Price: A$ 60.00 (approx. US$ 31.36) convert currency
          Presented by Barwon Booksellers, Geelong, VIC, Australia
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          9. FUKUOKA, MASANOBU ONE-STRAW REVOLUTION
          RODALE Hardcover First Edition, Cond: Very Good, Dust jacket: Very Good,
          Back to Earth/Farming . Bookseller Inventory # 1228992
          Price: US$ 137.50 convert currency
          Presented by Capitol Hill Books, Denver, CO, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          10. Fukuoka, Masanobu: The One-Straw Revolution An Introduction to
          Natural Farming
          Emmaus : Rodale Press 1978 Hardback with dustjacket. Straw-coloured boards
          with Japanese motif on front. Dustjacket has two small tears to lower edges
          but otherwise good. Book itself in very good order.Printed on re-cycled
          paper and illustrated with black and white photographs and illustrations.
          Neat gift inscription in ink to flyleaf. ISBN 0 87857 220 1 . Bookseller
          Inventory # 906
          Price: � 60.00 (approx. US$ 85.40) convert currency
          Presented by Applethwaites, Windermere, United Kingdom
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          11. Masanobu Fukuoka The Natural Way of Farming: The Theory and Practice
          of Green Philosophy
          Tokyo and New York: Japan Publications, 1987 Trade Paperback. Very Good/No
          Jacket. 4to - over 9�" - 12" tall. ISBN:0-87040-613-2. Offers "a
          provocative image of stewardship to the earth as the cornerstone to a
          society of sufficiency, permanence, and self-renewal." The theory and
          practice of working with nature and living better as a result. Illustrated.
          First edition was 1985 with revised edition out in 1987. This is a later
          printing of the revised edition. In 284 pages, including an appendix,
          glossary of Japanese words, translator's note, and an index. BUB-BOX-45 .
          Bookseller Inventory # 001578
          Price: US$ 75.00 convert currency
          Presented by Burke Used Books, Burke, VA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          12. FURUKAWA, Yoshishige: Fukuoka Art Museum (Editors). YOSHISHIGE
          FURUKAWA Retrospective of His 30 Years in New York.
          Fukuoka Art Museum, Japan, 1992. Square p/b, 101pp, col. illus. Fine copy
          with folding card from 1993 exhibition. Bookseller Inventory # 38586
          Price: A$ 70.00 (approx. US$ 36.58) convert currency
          Presented by Sainsbury's Books Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, VIC, Australia
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          13. Fukuoka, Masanobu The One-Straw Revolution: An Introduction to
          Natural Farming
          Emmaus, PA, U.S.A.: Rodale, 1978 Hb. Good/Fair. ISBN:0878572201. very
          slight wear to corners & edges of covers; first few pgs and side of book
          have a few light brown spots; creases & stains on dust jacket. Bookseller
          Inventory # 003636
          Price: US$ 152.00 convert currency
          Presented by The Unskoolbookshop, Brattleboro, VT, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          14. Isetan Museum of Art, Fukuoka Art Museum, and Osaka Municipal Museum
          EDOUARD MANET
          Tokyo, Art Life, 1986 175 pp., approx. 100 illus., 44 in color. Exhib. cat.
          in Japanese/English by Charles F. Stuckey and Juliet Wilson Bareau. More
          than a few works not exhibited in the great Paris Manet retrospective. Many
          very attractive reproductions of prints and ink drawings. 4to, stiff
          self-wrps. As new. Bookseller Inventory # A1860
          Price: US$ 40.00 convert currency
          Presented by ARTEXT, Cambridge, MA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          15. Fukuoka, Masanobu; Edited By Larry Korn The One-Straw Revolution: An
          Introduction to Natural Farming
          Emmaus, Pennsylvania: Rodale Press, Inc. 1978 ISBN:0-87857-220-1. Tenth
          printing. Illustrated with few black-and-white photographs. With Preface by
          Wendell Berry. VG/VG Prior owner typewritten "bookplate" affixed to ffep
          with clear tape; faint wear to cover extremities. Dust jacket extremities
          lightly worn; spine slightly sunned. Otherwise clean and tight. POSTPAID
          MEDIA RATE IN U.S. Bookseller Inventory # 9414
          Price: US$ 100.00 convert currency
          Presented by The Curiosity Book Shop, Wilton, ME, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          16. Fukuoka THE 2ND FUKUOKA ASIAN CULTURAL PRIZES 1991 COMMEMORATIVE
          LECTURES
          1991 Japan 44 pp., Illus, Tan wrps, Fine . Bookseller Inventory #
          jkuE489F14
          Price: US$ 8.90 convert currency
          Presented by Larry W Price Books, Portland, OR, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          17. Fukuoka THE 2ND FUKUOKA ASIAN CULTURAL PRIZES 1991 PRIZE
          PRESENTATION CEREMONY
          1991 Japan 52 pp., Illus, Tan wrps, Fine . Bookseller Inventory #
          jkuE289F19
          Price: US$ 8.90 convert currency
          Presented by Larry W Price Books, Portland, OR, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          18. International Colloquium on Finite or Infinite Dimensional Complex
          Analysis (7th: 1999: Fukuoka, Japan). Ed. by Joji Kajiwara et al. Finite or
          infinite dimensional complex analysis; proceedings.
          Marcel Dekker 2000. New. Sixty-three papers from the 1999 colloquium report
          research results on complex variables, Clifford algebra variables,
          hyperfunctions, and numerical analysis. Examples of the topics are modular
          space for complete intersection curve-singularities, approximation numbers
          for polynomials, Schauder decompositions of weighted spaces of holomorphic
          functions, a new approximation of the Navier-Stokes equations, and Clifford
          analysis in higher dimensions. Other topics include cyclically symmetric
          circular crack problems of different media, the Grassmannian manifold
          associated to a bounded symmetric domain, local cohomology and ideal of
          partial differential operators, Hamiltonian Algorithm for sound synthesis,
          and special reflexive modules and the first Chern class. No index.
          Softcover edition. Bookseller Inventory # 149640
          Price: US$ 146.25 convert currency
          Presented by Gull's Nest Books, Hillsboro, OR, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          19. International Workshop on [title] (6th: 2000: Fukuoka, Japan) Ed. by
          Hajime Tomokage and Takashi Sekiguchi. Beam injection assessment of
          microstructures in semiconductors (BIAMS 2000); proceedings.
          Scitec Publications, Ltd. 2001. New. ISBN: 3908450616. This proceedings
          volume of the November 2000 workshop surveys techniques for characterizing
          semiconductors by means of beam injection and related methods. The 59
          papers are divided into sections on EBIC and OBIC, cathodoluminescence,
          diamond films, III-V materials, irradiation, and novel technologies. A
          sampling of topics: electrical behavior of crystal defects in silicon solar
          cells, negative photoconductivity in silicon films doped with phosphorus,
          interaction of copper and sulfur with dislocations in GaAs, TEM observation
          of barium titanante thin films, development of an ultra-precision
          positioner, and photoabsorption spectroscopy on nanometer scale by scanning
          tunneling microscopy. Distributed by Trans Tech Publications. List Price:
          US$196.00. Softcover edition. Bookseller Inventory # 177873
          Price: US$ 147.00 convert currency
          Presented by Gull's Nest Books, Hillsboro, OR, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          20. Fukuoka, Masanobu The One-Straw Revolution
          Rodale, 1978 Hard Cover. Very Good/Good Minus. First Edition. Chip to
          jacket at spine top; 2" tear to jacket in front. Bookseller Inventory #
          1201414
          Price: US$ 95.00 convert currency
          Presented by AHABbooks, Glencoe, CA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          21. KAZUKO/FUKUOKA JAPANESE FOOD & COOKING
          NATIONAL BOOK NETWORK ISBN:0754807991. NEW - Direct from publisher, A
          timeless cuisine; the traditions- techniques- ingredients- and recipes.
          Cloth . Bookseller Inventory # CDB00024726
          Price: US$ 29.75 convert currency
          Presented by Cornwall Discount Books, Cornwall, NY, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          22. Fukuoka, Masanobu Road Back to Nature: Regaining the Paradise Lost
          Japan Publications, 1987 Cloth. First Edition. 8vo - over 7�" - 9�"
          tall. This copy, by the renowned natural farmer/philosopher is in very good
          plus condition. Other than a layer of dust/light sun darkening to the top
          page edge, binding slightly cocked to one side, and some rubbing of cover
          edges, this is a nice collectible. There is some blue writing on the inside
          front cover. The inner pages are clean and the binding is tight, and the
          dust jacket, slightly worn, is mostly clean. This book's most notable
          feature is its section of glossy color photos. This is a beautiful book
          despite some superficial flaws. 377 pp. with index. Bookseller Inventory #
          2656
          Price: US$ 65.00 convert currency
          Presented by Logos Books and Records, Santa Cruz, CA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          23. FUKUOKA, YASUKO SUSHI AND SASHIMI
          ANNESS PUBLISHING 2001 A beautiful guide to authentic sushi and sashimi
          recipes including all the classic dishes and a helpful guide to techniques,
          ingredients and equipment, with clear step-by-step information ensuring
          success every time. 64pp mm HARDBACK . Bookseller Inventory # 0754808181
          Price: � 5.95 (approx. US$ 8.47) convert currency
          Presented by BOOKS INTERNATIONAL, Farnborough, Hampshire, United Kingdom
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          24. Fukuoka, Masanobu The Road Back to Nature
          New York, NY, U.S.A.: Japan Publications (U. S. A.), Incorporated, 1988
          Very Good/Very Good. Hard Cover. 8vo - over 7�" - 9�" tall.
          ISBN:0870406736. Previous owner's stamp on end paper. A nice copy! .
          Bookseller Inventory # 4611
          Price: US$ 75.00 convert currency
          Presented by Jackson Hole Book Trader, Inc., Jackson, WY, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          25. The Women of the 315th Composite Wing of the Fifth Air Force,
          Fukuoka, Japan WHAT'S COOKING IN JAPAN?: An American-Japanese Cook Book
          Tokyo Far Eastern Literary Agency & Publishing House (1949). Edges slightly
          rubbed; otherwise, very good condition. A collection of American recipes.
          Text in English & Japanese. Binding is Oblong 12mo. 154 pgs. Spine-sunned
          red cloth, without dust jacket. Bookseller Inventory # 110359
          Price: US$ 35.00 convert currency
          Presented by Acorn Books, Member - ABAA, San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          26. Fukuoka, Masanobu Road Back to Nature, The: Regaining the Paradise
          Lost
          Tokyo: Japan Publications, 1987 Hard Cover. Fine/Very Good. 1st Edition.
          ISBN:0 87040 673 6. 377 pgs., dj has a large water stain to underside of
          jacket . Bookseller Inventory # 21498
          Price: US$ 60.00 convert currency
          Presented by Book Crazy, Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          27. Fukuoka, Masanobu - Edited By Larry Korn The One-Straw Revolution:
          An Introduction to Natural Farming
          Emmaus, PA, U.S.A.: Rodale Press, Incorporated, 1978 Hard Cover. Near Fine.
          8vo - over 7�" - 9�" tall. ISBN:0878572201. First Printing, Tan boards,
          181pp, illustrated. Dustjacket has just a hint of edge-wear and a few
          pin-head sized stains on back panel. An unusually fine copy of this
          hard-to-find first edition. Bookseller Inventory # WJ-1389
          Price: US$ 150.00 convert currency
          Presented by Maxwell Books, Port Hadlock, WA, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/ec.gif>

          28. fukuoka, masayuki miscellaneous japanese
          Trade Paperback Appears to relate to business or government. All books in
          VG or better condition. Bookseller Inventory # 231529
          Price: US$ 4.00 convert currency
          Presented by Sixth Chamber Used Books, St Paul, MN, U.S.A.
          order options

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/sp.gif>

          <http://dogbert.abebooks.com/picture.gif> 29. Fukuoka, Masanobu One Straw
          Revolution
          Emmaus, PA, U.S.A.: Rodale Press, Incorporated, 1978 Hard Cover. 8vo - over
          7�" - 9�" tall. ISBN:0878572201. 181 pages. Fine condition in fine dust
          jacket. Yellow cloth binding. Bookseller Inventory # 001447
          Price: US$ 145.00 convert currency
          Presented by Wildfield Studios, Middletown, CT, U.S.A.

          On 3/8/2002 at 3:31 PM Robert Monie wrote:

> [...]
          >> editions. They appear to be
          >> authorized but cannot be exported outside India by
          >> anyone other than the
          >> publisher.
          >>
          >> Here are two places to buy Fukuoka titles:
          >>
          >> 1. From the publisher. Using airmail from the US, it
          >> will take 3-4 weeks to
          >> place and receive an order. You cannot use credit
          >> cards; payment must be
          >> mailed in advance by check drawn in US dollars. You
          >> start the process by
          >> e-mailing the publisher and requesting a price for
          >> the number of books you
          >> want and the shipping method you want--typically
          >> second class airmail.
          >>

          >> 2. Order the same books from Permanent Publications'
          >> Earth Repair Catalogue
          >> (UK). You can order through the net using a credit
          >> card. International
          >> airmail will add 35% to the price, but you will have

        • jamie
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2002
            As mentioned the other day, here is the list of places to buy Fukuoka's books including Robert's website which is very useful for North Americans.

            www.strawrevolution.com Robert's site has the three Indian Editions available (One-Straw $25, Natural Way $30 and Road Back to Nature $30) offering quick payment through paypal (and creditcard Robert?) and relatively quick delivery.

            There is also a new supplier in the UK Eco-Logic Books, they carry One Straw (7.95 GBP) and Natural Way (14.95 GBP). Their website is www.eco-logicbooks.com and contact is books@.... Has anyone used this service, if so could they let us know if it was satisfactory?eco-logic books: .e-mail: books@... .web: www.eco-logicbooks.com

            http://www.kkbooks.com/ email: service@k...

            http://www.permaculture.co.uk email: orders@p...

            please contact me off-list if you would like a copy jamie@...
            If you have a website where you would like to put some or all of the book, I
            would be willing to edit it as necessary. If there is the consensus on this
            list to have a copy in the Files archive, I shall post it there also. There
            is, of course, no financial aspect to this electronic copy, just a wish to
            see Fukuoka's ideas reach as wide an audience as possible, a wish that is
            currently being stymied by the uncertain copyright status of Fukuoka's
            books. I intend only to make The One-Straw Revolution available in this way
            because it is Fukuoka's manifesto. His other books and the facts of natural
            farming come after the manifesto, first there must be the inspiration.

            Jamie
            Souscayrous

          • Mark Thomas Nickum
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2002
              Hello all:

              I have just joined the list and enjoyed reading this last week. I also,
              on your prompting, picked up a copy of One Straw Revolution at my
              university library and am almost finished with it. A very good read.

              I just graduated with my MS in Botany / Ethnobotany at the University of
              Hawaii, Manoa. I studied canoe building in Tonga where they built a 108
              foot two hulled sailing canoe. I documented how the canoe was built and
              what timber species were used.

              I was first introduced to Fukuoka's work about 5 years ago. A friend of
              mine passed a copy of a video, "The Great Way has No Gates" off to me.
              Fukuoka's farm looked fantastic. But, I just tucked the video away on my
              shelf until recently as a curiosity.

              Now I am on the island of Oahu. (And by the way, there is some terrific
              work being done on the windward side here with taro cultivation!) But soon
              I will be returning to the mainland. I will be job hunting and also
              looking for PhD programs in sustainable agriculture / agroforestry /
              natural farming.

              I am not very religious, but I am very spiritual in my heart, it is just
              undefined. I am really looking for a "mission that matters." I would like
              a career path that is meaningful to me and is helpful to the world.

              If any of you could design your ideal career path, what would it be?

              Better yet, if any of you know of job openings or PhD programs which would
              follow your ideal career path, please fill me in.

              Thank you.

              Best wishes,

              Mark Nickum
              nickum@...
            • Robert Monie
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2002
                Welcome Mark,

                Iowa State University started a Ph.D. program in sustainable agriculture in fall 2001. You can contact (Aldo) Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, 209 Curtiss Hall, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa (515) 294-3711. See http://www.sust.ag.iastate.edu/programs.html Their approach seems to be more classic organic (heavy reliance on composting) than natural (polyculture, interplanting, nitrogen-fixing shrubs and trees) though.

                The University Maine and the University of Kentucky also offer doctoral programs in "sustainable agriculture."

                Can you tell us more about the video "The Great Way Has No Gates"? Is it still in print, and do you know of a source? Does it devote a substantial amount of time to Fukuoka?

                Bob Monie

                Mark Thomas Nickum wrote:Hello all:

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Adam Henne
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2002
                  I just started a Ph.D. program in ecological anthropology at University of Georgia:http://anthro.dac.uga.eduThe program varies widely, but quite a few people are doing work on applied anthropology in sustainable agriculture, usually with a career path towards development work with gov't agencies or NGO's. The sustainable practices of indigenous people, sometimes called "Traditional Ecological Knowledge" or TEK, is a fascinating field. It's also something that I think is often overlooked by permaculturists/natural farmers/progressive organic types, who often speak as though these ideas emerged wholesale from the brain of Mollison, Fukuoka, etc. I'm working on an article for Permaculture Activist about very antique indigenous horticulture systems that bear many of the hallmarks of permaculture. Career-wise, I may be destined to be an academic, which has its shortcomings, but the field of study is endlessly fascinating and has tons of potential for applied work, activism, etc.adam

                • Mark Thomas Nickum
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2002
                    Hi Bob,

                    Thank you for the pointer to ISU. They seem to have an interesting
                    program and a great deal of depth to their faculty. I will certainly
                    check them out. I'll probably set up a time to visit them in the next
                    month.

                    The video I have is a copy of a copy. It is exclusively of Fukuoka and
                    his farm. It appears to me to be narrated by a British (?) man and woman.
                    However the VERY FEW titles and credits appear to be in Dutch or German.
                    My copy is a copy of a copy. ALL OF THE CONTENT of the video is in the
                    book One Straw Revolution, but it is nice to see it visually.

                    I'm not even sure I am calling the video by the correct title, since no
                    titles are in English on the video. I just had a friend hand it off to me
                    about five years ago on a whim. Sorry I can't be of more service. But
                    perhaps knowing there is a video out there, will enable some of the rest
                    of you to find a source for it?

                    -Mark

                  • hyderabadee
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 5, 2002
                      I don't have anything against PhD (or any education beyond high
                      school). I am amazed that Masanobu Fukuoka has done so much without a
                      PhD! It is encouraging to know that a lot can be done even without
                      higher education.

                      -hyderbadee
                    • Mark Thomas Nickum
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 5, 2002
                        Hi All:

                        I have a piece to offer you about Sustainable Agriculture in Cuba. I am
                        quoting from page 201 of the book, A World of Difference by Philip Porter
                        and Eric S. Sheppard. I think you will find it very interesting. Those
                        of you who have more information about this very interesting case, please
                        offer it.

                        -start quote-

                        "An interesting `natural experiment' in sustainable agriculture was forced
                        upon Cuba by the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1989 and the cessation of
                        oil and other sibsidies the USSR had provided Cuba until then (Rosset and
                        Benjamin, 1994a). Virtually overnight, the supply of oil dropped 53% and
                        the price of gasoline rose to prohibitive levels. The availability of
                        fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals dropped over 80% (Rosset and
                        Benjamin, 1994b: 83). By 1992 Cuba's highly mechanized state farms found
                        it necessary to idle about 20,000 tractors.

                        The government was not unprepared for the exigency of having external
                        inputs cut off, since such possibilities had long been part of military
                        preparedness (Levins, 1990: 134). Civil defense manuals covered
                        agricultural production; municipal gardens have been a feature of Cuban
                        agriculture for years; and Cubans have long had an interest in organic
                        farming and sustainable agriculture.

                        In responding to events, a government-led "back to the land" program has
                        reconfigured state farms as cooperative farms in which organic farming,
                        use of animal traction for plowing and transport, locally made fertilizers
                        (from compost, farmyard manure, etc.), integrated pest management, and
                        increased human labor have been substituted for the previous
                        agroindustrial methods. Science has not been rejected by Cuba in this
                        transformation. Instead, it has been refashioned to use biological and
                        organic approaches to soil, crop, and pest management, rather than the
                        high-energy and high-chemical-input approach formerly used. Sophisticated
                        use is made of pheromone traps, ant colonies (Tetramorium), parasitic
                        wasps (Trichogramma), and bacillary and fungal sprays to control insect
                        pests. Interplanting of "companion crops" (sweet potatoes and corn,
                        cassava and beans) is used to enhance soil quality and use soil nutrients
                        effectively.

                        Cuba's largely urban population has participated in this agricultural
                        transformation. Some families have joined cooperative farms in return for
                        housing and other perks. Some state farms have been reconstituted as
                        cooperative farms by groups of urban families. On a rotating schedule,
                        school children, government employees, factory workers, and other urban
                        dwellers spent 2 weeks on rural cooperative farms during the agricultural
                        season, providing labor. In the cities, many people cultivate
                        "allotments" (small community gardens), thereby adding to food production.
                        Classes in food canning and preservation have brought back methods
                        reminiscent of U.S. family farms in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

                        This forced experiment in sustainable agriculture has succeeded in the
                        sense that the Cuban people have been able to feed themselves. It has
                        required considerable reordering of labor priorities, food rationing, and
                        some degree of hardship; however, it provides interesting lessons related
                        to sustainable farming, which is no longer dependent on high energy and
                        high chemical inputs."

                        -end quote-

                        So what can we do with this model for larger scale change? How can we
                        help turn around the kind of corn and soy beans industrial production
                        carried out in the United States? Perhaps we can follow a certification
                        scheme. Many of you have probably heard of Eco-OK certification for
                        bananas and other tropical crops, or SmartWood certification for timber
                        products. These are certifications offered by the Rainforest Alliance.
                        They not only certify timber production from the forests, but also they do
                        "Chain of Custody" (COC) certification. So furniture, paper products,
                        etc. (hundreds of companies now) are certified as producing products with
                        SmartWood certified timber.

                        Can we do this with our processed food? Our TV dinners and our
                        Micro-meals? Could we do Chain of Custody organic or natural farming
                        based processed foods to enter this kind of agriculture into the
                        mainstream? Perhaps these products perchased in the grocery stores would
                        NOT be taxed like other food products. There must be ways to offer
                        incentives from the government, while still letting the free market reign.

                        So, just some thoughts. Any responses?

                        Do you all know of any journal articles or books that may address some of
                        these issues?

                        -Mark Nickum
                        nickum@...
                      • Adam Henne
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2002
                          I certainly agree that "higher" education is neither
                          always necessary, nor ever completely sufficient, in
                          order to do great things or have brilliant ideas.
                          Doesn't Fukuoka have a Ph.D. or something like it,
                          though? He was a soil researcher for the government
                          extension service before his enlightenment moment, and
                          that seems like the kind of position that would assume
                          a great deal of formal education.
                          adam

                          http://finance.yahoo.com
                        • Mark Thomas Nickum
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 24, 2002
                            Hi All:

                            I just found what looks like a fantastic book on Sustainable Agriculture
                            in Cuba. You can download the introduction and first chapter, as well as
                            order the book from the following site

                            www.foodfirst.org/cuba

                            -Mark