green belt

  • brunohenrileroy
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2005
      Hello all, does anyone know how the project of greening the mountains
      and barren lands around the mediterranean has turned?(greenbelt)
      Several years have gone by now: how the plants growing? Is it still in
      activity?
      And the greening of smolia and other deserts?
      And last: does anyone know what seeds were used in the seedballs.
      I have read that a group of americans helped sow seedballs mid october
      close to Athens, but I had no response to the same questions.
      Thank you for your help! i live in southern France, in Provence.
      bruno.
    • berinerturk
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 27, 2005
        Hi Bruno,
        I had asked the very same question when I became a member of this
        group. Now that Kostas is here maybe he can help us on this. Panos
        should have things to say on it. And since now that there are several
        of us mediterraneans in this list, who knows, maybe we will find a way
        to re-initiate the "green belt." (It has facinated me and still does.
        I'm sure many of you feel the same)
        Berin Erturk
        Jade Farm, Turkey

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "brunohenrileroy" <boly1@l...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all, does anyone know how the project of greening the mountains
        > and barren lands around the mediterranean has turned?(greenbelt)
        > Several years have gone by now: how the plants growing? Is it still in
        > activity?
        > And the greening of smolia and other deserts?
        > And last: does anyone know what seeds were used in the seedballs.
        > I have read that a group of americans helped sow seedballs mid october
        > close to Athens, but I had no response to the same questions.
        > Thank you for your help! i live in southern France, in Provence.
        > bruno.

      • karoubas
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
          Hello Berin,

          I need to meet with Panos soon, so he can answer some of these
          questions, that have been posted; in the winter time he often travels
          around Greece, Europe, and some times to Africa.

          I know this fall Panos and a group of volunteers dispersed 4,000 kilos
          (9,000 lbs) of seed balls near Athens; Panos indicated that all went
          well - the area is recovering after a fire. He also indicated that he
          was asked to help seed another area that has been burned.

          A major part of his effort is concentrated in training people in the
          NF method, and then helping them establish the farms in their areas.

          Kostas

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"