Re: [fukuoka_farming] bordeaux mixture

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
      > Wud the use of Bordeaux mixture or
      > the copper sulphate considered as use of chemicals.Wud
      > it affect in getting organic certification.I wud appreciate if someone can
      > answer this querry. thanks regards to all

      it will depend on your local certification program but in general BOrdeaux
      mixture is accepted in most organic certification program .
      I am pretty sure that masanobu fukuoka will not support the use of bordeaux
      mixture except may be at the last resort to save a crop . any artificial
      intervention have their negative feedback .in the long run it keep your land
      away from a balanced state ( where all the diseases are present but none are
      damaging .).
      jean-claude

    • Elinor Jean
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
        Hiya,
        What does fukuoka farming say about putting animal manure onto gardens?
        We have chooks who live in a large run, but have to be kept in a run or
        the feral foxes, cats and dogs eat them, and we regularly empty their
        run onto the gardens. Same with horse manure. Is this good or bad?
        ta, El.
      • Faith Arnold
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 16, 2005
          Hi Edward,

          Any time you apply a chemical that kills things you are upsetting any hope of a self-correcting natural balance. Case in point: I just read an article about how different species of beneficial fungus colonize inside the tissues of leaves of cacao trees, and that the colonized leaves were much more resistant to disease-causing fungi than leaves that did not have the good colonies. Spraying ANY fungicide will mess up all of the good fungi, and could very well cause much more damage in the future. If possible, find a solution that supports the overall health of the system... like find a beneficial organism to treat your plants with.

          Just what, exactly, are you having problems with? (plant and disease?) Maybe there is a biological solution.

          Faith Arnold

          > Wud the use of Bordeaux mixture or
          > the copper sulphate considered as use of chemicals.Wud
          > it affect in getting organic certification.I wud appreciate if someone can
          > answer this querry. thanks regards to all

          it will depend on your local certification program but in general BOrdeaux
          mixture is accepted in most organic certification program .
          I am pretty sure that masanobu fukuoka will not support the use of bordeaux
          mixture except may be at the last resort to save a crop . any artificial
          intervention have their negative feedback .in the long run it keep your land
          away from a balanced state ( where all the diseases are present but none are
          damaging .).
          jean-claude

        • John Jensen
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2005
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogdo oups.com, Elinor Jean
            <u3288545@a...> wrote:

            > Hiya,
            > What does fukuoka farming say about putting animal manure onto
            gardens?
            > We have chooks who live in a large run, but have to be kept in a
            run or
            > the feral foxes, cats and dogs eat them, and we regularly empty
            their
            > run onto the gardens. Same with horse manure. Is this good or bad?
            > ta, El.

            He says that "do nothing" is the goal and the path. The idea is to
            allow by intelligent plant selection, "growing soil". He use
            wandering animals for manure. That is the practice according to his
            books. On your query, I have only one question. How does your
            garden grow? The reason I ask is that there are many ways to grow
            plants, but this is not the focus of his work. In short, manure is
            good in the right mix.