bordeaux mixture

  • edward barton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2005
      Hi Group Members,
      i have a 8 acre orchard where i have
      been practicing natural farming practices.
      I have 200 alphonso mango and 100
      coconut trees and many other kinds of fruit trees.
      In the last ten years ever since the
      saplings were planted i have never used any chemical
      fertilisers,chemical pesticides etc.
      I have used cow dung,neem cake as
      natural fertilisers,
      Wud the use of Bordeaux mixture or
      the copper sulphate considered as use of chemicals.Wud
      it affect in getting organic certification.
      I wud appreciate if someone can
      answer this querry. thanks regards to all

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
        > Wud the use of Bordeaux mixture or
        > the copper sulphate considered as use of chemicals.Wud
        > it affect in getting organic certification.I wud appreciate if someone can
        > answer this querry. thanks regards to all

        it will depend on your local certification program but in general BOrdeaux
        mixture is accepted in most organic certification program .
        I am pretty sure that masanobu fukuoka will not support the use of bordeaux
        mixture except may be at the last resort to save a crop . any artificial
        intervention have their negative feedback .in the long run it keep your land
        away from a balanced state ( where all the diseases are present but none are
        damaging .).
        jean-claude

      • Elinor Jean
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
          Hiya,
          What does fukuoka farming say about putting animal manure onto gardens?
          We have chooks who live in a large run, but have to be kept in a run or
          the feral foxes, cats and dogs eat them, and we regularly empty their
          run onto the gardens. Same with horse manure. Is this good or bad?
          ta, El.
        • Faith Arnold
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 16, 2005
            Hi Edward,

            Any time you apply a chemical that kills things you are upsetting any hope of a self-correcting natural balance. Case in point: I just read an article about how different species of beneficial fungus colonize inside the tissues of leaves of cacao trees, and that the colonized leaves were much more resistant to disease-causing fungi than leaves that did not have the good colonies. Spraying ANY fungicide will mess up all of the good fungi, and could very well cause much more damage in the future. If possible, find a solution that supports the overall health of the system... like find a beneficial organism to treat your plants with.

            Just what, exactly, are you having problems with? (plant and disease?) Maybe there is a biological solution.

            Faith Arnold

            > Wud the use of Bordeaux mixture or
            > the copper sulphate considered as use of chemicals.Wud
            > it affect in getting organic certification.I wud appreciate if someone can
            > answer this querry. thanks regards to all

            it will depend on your local certification program but in general BOrdeaux
            mixture is accepted in most organic certification program .
            I am pretty sure that masanobu fukuoka will not support the use of bordeaux
            mixture except may be at the last resort to save a crop . any artificial
            intervention have their negative feedback .in the long run it keep your land
            away from a balanced state ( where all the diseases are present but none are
            damaging .).
            jean-claude

          • John Jensen
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2005
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogdo oups.com, Elinor Jean
              <u3288545@a...> wrote:

              > Hiya,
              > What does fukuoka farming say about putting animal manure onto
              gardens?
              > We have chooks who live in a large run, but have to be kept in a
              run or
              > the feral foxes, cats and dogs eat them, and we regularly empty
              their
              > run onto the gardens. Same with horse manure. Is this good or bad?
              > ta, El.

              He says that "do nothing" is the goal and the path. The idea is to
              allow by intelligent plant selection, "growing soil". He use
              wandering animals for manure. That is the practice according to his
              books. On your query, I have only one question. How does your
              garden grow? The reason I ask is that there are many ways to grow
              plants, but this is not the focus of his work. In short, manure is
              good in the right mix.