Re: salutations!

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
      I live in Texas, not Virginia, so I can't help you with your bushes,
      Robin. I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your
      post. I think you are going to be a great addition to this group.

      I envy you the persimmons. I keep meaning to add some here...and
      haven't. It has been a bad drought year here. What I did plant died
      for the most part. The exceptions were what was planted/growing
      under my large ash tree. That area is my little Garden of Eden I
      believe. It never lets me down.

      I have had pneumonia the past few weeks. Today is my birthday....and
      I actually believe I feel better for the first time in weeks. Maybe
      I will be out in the gardens again soon. I love planting for the
      fall/winter. Fewer problems usually.

      Gloria

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "witchessocks"
      <witchessocks@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > some kind of birch trees, different types of pines and
      > such, and also several tree-of-heavens that are too
      > tall for me to cut down, now, without outside
      > help...they are on the "edge" between the neighbors
      > and i-- should i try to remove these trees-of-heaven?
      >
      > after reading "one straw revolution", i immediately
      > went out and purchased seeds; red and white clover,
      > orchard grass, rye grass, barley, wheat, alfalfa,
      > radishes, mustard, rutabaga, rapeseed, turnip greens- any thing i
      > could find in middle to late summer of 2005 and
      > scattered these seeds around at the the beginning of
      > what i thought was the next rain...but the rain
      > stopped within a couple of minutes, and then it didn't
      > rain again for a couple of months; the grass, though i
      > had vowed to stop mowing my "lawn", didn't grow at
      > all, in fact began to turn very withered and brown on
      > account of the extremely hot and dry weather. i had
      > given up hope that my seeds would germinate, and i
      > assumed they would all be eaten by birds, since i admit i was
      > too "lazy" to make any seedballs....well, three days
      > ago it began to rain in earnest, and today, i am so
      > excited, there is little clover seedlings coming up
      > everywhere, and many many seeds germinated! i don't
      > know which is which, not having paid much attention to
      > learning the different species and what they look
      > like, but i am looking forward to identifying
      > everything growing out there...i also value the weeds
      > that i have and i don't want to eradicate anything
      > before i learn all about the different species and
      > their properties...
      >
      > i've been cutting up my fallen branches and scattering
      > the pieces around...hopefully this will gradually
      > cover any sparsely covered ground, and at the same
      > time tamp down any really profuse growth...my
      > neighbors mow their yards religiously and look at my
      > riot of a yard disapprovingly...but i've already got
      > and answer for them...now that we are finally asked by our
      government
      > to conserve, i can say i'm conserving
      > gasoline by not mowing my yard anymore! i'm happy!
      >
      > again i thank the founders of this group for starting
      > it, and am looking forward to having lots of time to
      > read the archives, what with the "do-nothing" aspect
      > of this farming and all!
      >
      > are there any virginians on this list? i need/or want some
      > bushes, and i would like to know what kinds! i live
      > near roanoke. also, we have herds of wild deer. do i need to
      > plant a lot of deer forage bushes on my outskirts, and
      > do i need to fence around them till they get bigger
      > (the deer around here will eat some things down to the
      > ground)? i guess trial and error will eventually
      > answer my questions, but it's fun to wonder about
      > these now! good luck to natural farmers; of course, good luck
      > will naturally flow to you!
      >
      > sincerely, robin, aka "witchessocks"
      >
      > A hearty laugh gives one a dry cleaning, while a good cry is a wet

    • Robin, Maya, or Napi
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
        Happiest Birthday, Gloria!
        Sit in your garden & grow well.

        Welcome, Robin,
        We are in Richmond, Virginia, USA. Have you read about service berries? Do you
        have laurel?
        Napi