Re: [fukuoka_farming] Green manure in Catalonia + Phyllocnistis citrella

  • Elsa Santos
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi Gavin,

      I'm next "door" to you, in Portugal, and I farm in similar conditions - except I have a neutral, (more on the acidic side) soil - I use a combination of Comfrey and a local legume called "Xíxaro" that you might find in Spain as well. The two combined do wonders to the poorest of soils and they're especially good combined in a time of severe draught, like we are having in the Iberian Peninsula.

      Also, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a solution for dealing with
      Phyllocnistis citrella and cochonilha Aonidiella, not sure about the names in English... but we call them "mining maggots" and "cotton buds" respectively and they are destroying many citrus groves in the South of Portugal. I've tried all organic and biodynamic solutions I know but nothing seems to work...

      Any suggestions?

      Cheers

      Elsa

      gavvenn <gavvenn@...> wrote:

      Evening everyone,

      Does anyone have any experience of using green manures in Spain? I'm
      in Catalonia with sandy, chalky, limey soil. I've heard Alfafa,
      Hungarian Grazing Rye or Trefoil may work well. ANy suggestions
      appreciated.

      Best,
      Gavin

    • Gavin Venn

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          Ho Gavin,

          Sorry, don't know much about pomegranates... Just bought a couple of saplings myself, but it's the first time I try to grow them. I know that they fare well in any kind of mediterranean / warmish conditions, very much like sharon fruit. They grow practically wild here and You see them all over the place, abandoned even, but full of fruit, so I expect they are very low maintenance. Don't know... sorry I can't help much.
          People here do belive they bring you good luck, so good luck :)
          Elsa

          gavvenn <gavvenn@...> wrote:

          Evening everyone,

          Does anyone have any experience of using green manures in Spain? I'm
          in Catalonia with sandy, chalky, limey soil. I've heard Alfafa,
          Hungarian Grazing Rye or Trefoil may work well. ANy suggestions
          appreciated.

          Best,
          Gavin

          Elsa Santos

          Monte Samoqueiro
          CP 5803 Brejão
          São teotónio
          7630-569 Odemira
          Portugal

          http://www.mundo.iol.pt/monte.samoqueiro/beleza/
          http://www.mundo.iol.pt/monte.samoqueiro/turismo/

          monte.samoqueiro@...

          Tel/Fax: 00351 282 949 092
          Mob.: 00351 91846 4730

        • partha biswas,9830511359
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
            hi this is partha biswas from india.
            can anybody help me by sending me the e-mail id or
            postal address of masanobu fukuoka.

            --- Gavin Venn <gavvenn@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Elsa,
            >
            > know much about growing pomegranate trees?
            >
            > Cheers
            > Gavin
            >
            > Elsa Santos <elsamagosa@...> wrote:
            > Hi Gavin,
            >
            > I'm next "door" to you, in Portugal, and I farm in
            > similar conditions - except I have a neutral, (more
            > on the acidic side) soil - I use a combination of
            > Comfrey and a local legume called "Xíxaro" that you
            > might find in Spain as well. The two combined do
            > wonders to the poorest of soils and they're
            > especially good combined in a time of severe
            > draught, like we are having in the Iberian
            > Peninsula.
            >
            > Also, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a
            > solution for dealing with
            > Phyllocnistis citrella and cochonilha Aonidiella,
            > not sure about the names in English... but we call
            > them "mining maggots" and "cotton buds" respectively
            > and they are destroying many citrus groves in the
            > South of Portugal. I've tried all organic and
            > biodynamic solutions I know but nothing seems to
            > work...
            >

            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Elsa
            >

            > gavvenn <gavvenn@...> wrote:
            >
            > Evening everyone,
            >
            > Does anyone have any experience of using green
            > manures in Spain? I'm
            > in Catalonia with sandy, chalky, limey soil. I've
            > heard Alfafa,
            > Hungarian Grazing Rye or Trefoil may work well. ANy
            > suggestions
            > appreciated.
            >
            > Best,
            > Gavin

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            > removed]

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            > removed]

            Partha Biswas, National Park, PO-Naihati, Dt.-N.24 Pargs,743165,Ph.-9830511359

            http://mail.yahoo.com