Eating weeds

  • Thomas Younger
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2005
      I was reflecting on a letter from Forest which
      described looking for a relative that grows well and
      substitute the weed for the domestic crop for example
      where lambsquarter grows well grow quinoa. Ten years
      ago we planted a row of quinoa in a traditional tilled
      garden and thought it was weeds when it came up. Now
      a lot of our garden ground has gone to seed of
      lambsquarters and I wonder if I can eat this as if it
      was quinoa. Does anyone know a reliable source on the
      internet which lists the edible parts of edible weeds?
      I know that I could experiment with eating a small
      amount. The seed heads are quite green so I will
      probably need to freeze large bags to experiment as a
      cooked gruel. I think the greens from lambsquarters
      are the best I have ever eaten. I hope the seeds turn
      out to be equally promising.

      Tom

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2005
        > I know that I could experiment with eating a small
        > amount. The seed heads are quite green so I will
        > probably need to freeze large bags to experiment as a
        > cooked gruel. I think the greens from lambsquarters
        > are the best I have ever eaten. I hope the seeds turn
        > out to be equally promising.

        i am eating seeds and leaves of lamb quarter but in their raw green stage ,
        don't know anything about them cooked .i love also to eat nettle seeds and
        leaves raw .other favorites are chicory , dandelion , sheep sorel , miner's
        lettuce and corn salad .
        i don't have sites in my head about edible wild foods but there is many
        :search for wild edibles
        jean-claude
      • mmmm_biwa
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hey, got any of those Miners Lettuce seeds to spare?
        • William Stocker
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2005

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2005
              > Hey, got any of those Miners Lettuce seeds to spare?

              no i don;t harvest the seeds as they are common wild here , could maybe do
              it next year .
              jean-claude
            • Shane Morkin
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 9, 2005
                Dear Group,

                I¹m looking for information about wood stoves and coppicing. Does anyone
                out there cook their food with wood?

                Here in France (60km south of Paris) I am looking at the model
                ³L¹Emmanuelle² made by Wanders or ³C140² by J.Corradi, anyone have an
                opinion about either of them?

                In the videos I have watched about Mr Fukuoka¹s life, the students cooked
                their own meals over a small wood fire. As the iron wood stoves are much
                more efficient than an open fire I am hoping if I plant a few willow trees
                and coppice them they will provide ample fuel. I purchased (sight-unseen) a
                book called Home Grown Energy from Short-Rotation Coppice, hoping it was a
                ³how to² book. Instead it argued for harvesting willow trees using
                conventional agricultural methods to fuel large power plants. If someone
                can recommend a better book that tells you what species of trees are good
                for coppicing, how to raise them, and when to cut them, that would be most
                helpful.

                Shane

              • kemal pince
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2005
                  Hello to all;

                  On this planet you will not find a hard wood tree faster growing than
                  paulownia. It can be coppiced every year if you want. Zooms up to 15
                  feet or more in its first season of growth.

                  If you let the tree grow, just pruning the extra branches will give you
                  enough wood to burn, provided you have enough trees.

                  Just check out the net by typing paulownia at the google site.

                  There's no need to use a big iron stove to cook. Better to use a small
                  stove made out of galvanized tin (not sure if I used the correct term).
                  However, I have no idea if you have people making these items in France.
                  I would say chances are slim. Even here in Turkey it's getting harder to
                  find them.

                  Also, charcoal is better to use for cooking as wood takes longer to
                  ignite and get ready for cooking.

                  And what about the summer ? If you're serious about cooking with wood or
                  other natural resources it's a must that you make or get some kind of
                  solar cooker. Don't forget the sun ! Again, search the net.

                  I'll send you a photo of the small stove I use, if I manage to find a
                  digital camera from someone.

                  Last but not the least, nothing will match the flavor of a meal cooked
                  on a wooden fire or stove ! There's magic in it, believe me.

                  Regards,

                  K.Pince

                  Shane Morkin wrote:

                  > Dear Group,
                  >
                  > I¹m looking for information about wood stoves and coppicing. Does anyone
                  > out there cook their food with wood?
                  >
                  > Here in France (60km south of Paris) I am looking at the model
                  > ³L¹Emmanuelle² made by Wanders or ³C140² by J.Corradi, anyone have an
                  > opinion about either of them?
                  >
                  > In the videos I have watched about Mr Fukuoka¹s life, the students cooked
                  > their own meals over a small wood fire. As the iron wood stoves are much
                  > more efficient than an open fire I am hoping if I plant a few willow trees
                  > and coppice them they will provide ample fuel. I purchased
                  > (sight-unseen) a
                  > book called Home Grown Energy from Short-Rotation Coppice, hoping it was a
                  > ³how to² book. Instead it argued for harvesting willow trees using
                  > conventional agricultural methods to fuel large power plants. If someone
                  > can recommend a better book that tells you what species of trees are good
                  > for coppicing, how to raise them, and when to cut them, that would be most
                  > helpful.
                  >

                  > Shane

                  > Organic gardening
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening&w1=Organic+gardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=owtJthOIVoli-5SH05M9eQ>
                  > Organic farming
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+farming&w1=Organic+gardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=VZAXnmjm4dw7z1twBbSL5w>
                  > Farming organic
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Farming+organic&w1=Organic+gardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=QtWJKqSNUvoIhRx0wIPvXQ>
                  >
                  > Organic gardening magazine
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+magazine&w1=Organic+gardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=DUl2YpeHxS8nfzrjYnoHxA>
                  > Organic gardening supply
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+gardening+supply&w1=Organic+gardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=pifcDlOFE1n7mJyCsJGUgA>
                  > Organic vegetable gardening
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Organic+vegetable+gardening&w1=Organic+gardening&w2=Organic+farming&w3=Farming+organic&w4=Organic+gardening+magazine&w5=Organic+gardening+supply&w6=Organic+vegetable+gardening&c=6&s=160&.sig=b5_BUUEAMpBvm9oqGxhg5w>

                • anjclem
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2005
                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Shane Morkin <s_morkin@h...>
                    wrote:

                    > Dear Group,
                    >
                    > I¹m looking for information about wood stoves
                    > Shane

                    For cooking stove information try :
                    http://www.aprovecho.net/pages/index2.htm
                    Jim