Natural Farming

  • karoubas
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      Sorry about the multiple posts on the photos – I am working my way
      thru the message boards, plus I have been having PC problems.

      I have posted a total 19 photos under the NF Greece folder – I hope
      they are useful.

      Next time I visit Pano's farm, I would like to take and post a photo
      of the layer above his soil – there is 5 to 25 cm layer of composted
      material that has accumulated over the last 17 years, as a result of
      his natural farming – this dark matter/compost says a lot about
      natural farming. When it rains, all the water stays and is stored in
      the land – there is no run of. The water percolates thru this
      material/compost and enriches the soil beneath, providing nutrients
      for trees and plant – to me it's an amazing process – each year more
      material accumulates, and more nutrients feed to the soil. Compare
      this with the chemical farming process!

      I will try to answer questions posted, to the best of my knowledge.

      jean-claude
      Hi Jean,
      Panos told me that he lets the water run thru his fields a few time
      during the summer, depending on the weather conditions – there a water
      source (dike ?) that runs near his land, and he just lets it in his
      farm – there are no water hoses on his land. He said he would like to
      eliminate watering – when the time comes.

      Faith Arnold
      Hi Faith,
      I do not know – I will ask. He told me one time that he was planting
      some highland rice to see how its works.
      As far as the seed balls – most of the time I just use red clay and
      nothing else (no organic matter). Panos has been experimenting with
      materials that will act as fibers to keep the clay together for as
      long as possible, and to keep the moisture inside the ball longer.
      Materials such as cotton, or short hair from sheep/goats/horses or
      other animals mixed in with the clay will do that.
      As far as seeds, as many diffrent kinds as you can.

      Miguel
      Ecuador
      Hi Miguel,
      See message 3576 in this message board and
      http://www.mir.org/greenbelt/english/kontakt.htm for a contact to Panos.

      Gloria Baikauskas
      Hi Gloria,
      See the photos – his farm looks and is great. Panos in addition to his
      farming methods is very particular of how he sells his fruit. Most of
      his fruits are sold directly to the consumers, or to small stores – no
      middlemen. His fruits are picked either the same day he sells them or
      the night before and are delicious. People know that they are very
      tasty and clean, so he has no trouble selling the fruits he has. He
      leads a simple life, and has dedicated his life to natural farming.

      My own experience so far has been positive – For example, I broadcast
      seed balls last fall, and I thought I failed because right after I
      seeded, it rained, and after that it was hot and dry for 2 to 3 weeks
      – I figured the small plants were destroyed. I did not see much of
      what I seeded last year, so I concluded that it failed. This year
      however, before I broadcast seed balls (about 4 days ago), I noticed
      many plants popping up all over the place (last year's seed s). The
      moral of the story is "be patient".
      I have given my self a five-year time frame – where I broadcast in the
      fall and spring if I can. After each broadcast, the dead grass and
      plants need to be cut, preferably with a hand tool, as opposed to a
      weed cutter. I do this when time allows (last year I did not broadcast
      in the spring, and this year I did not have a chance so far to cut the
      dry plants). My land is not very fertile, but year-by-year it will get
      stronger, in the mean time I get enough wild and domesticated plants
      to feed us.
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
        <Next time I visit Pano's farm, I would like to take and post a photo
        of the layer above his soil - there is 5 to 25 cm layer of composted
        material that has accumulated over the last 17 years, as a result of
        his natural farming ->

        i am curious to know if he brought organic material from the outside of his
        farm to start the process of building this layer or did he relied only on
        what was grown on the spot ? what plants did he use to grow this layer ?
        i am interested also by a list of plants he use to complet the trees (
        ground cover, bushes, vines etc...)?
        jean-claude
      • karoubas
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude
          Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:

          > <Next time I visit Pano's farm, I would like to take and post a photo
          > of the layer above his soil - there is 5 to 25 cm layer of composted
          > material that has accumulated over the last 17 years, as a result of
          > his natural farming ->
          >
          > i am curious to know if he brought organic material from the outside
          of his
          > farm to start the process of building this layer or did he relied
          only on
          > what was grown on the spot ? what plants did he use to grow this layer ?
          > i am interested also by a list of plants he use to complet the trees (
          > ground cover, bushes, vines etc...)?
          > jean-claude

          I will ask, next time I see him jean-claude - most likely in mid October
          Kostas
        • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005

            > I will ask, next time I see him jean-claude - most likely in mid October
            > Kostas

            thanks for your willingness to be of so much help . i will try to think
            about more questions .one more right now : is he using animals ?
            jean-claude
          • karoubas
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
              Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:

              > > I will ask, next time I see him jean-claude - most likely in mid
              October
              > > Kostas
              >
              > thanks for your willingness to be of so much help . i will try to think
              > about more questions .one more right now : is he using animals ?
              > jean-claude

              No jean-claude, he does not have animals - but his farm attracts all
              kind of birds, bees etc.

              There is a good interview with Fukuoka-san, at this address -
              http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1982_July_August/The_Plowboy_Interview__Masanobu_Fukuoka
              which you may or may not have seen. In it he emphasizes the need for
              nitrogen fixing plants, especially white clover - with anything you plant.

              Kostas
            • karoubas
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 9, 2005
                Hi Jean –Claude
                I did not get a chance to see Panos, so I do not have the answers to
                your questions.
                I have posted six new photos; I hope they help; enjoy them.
                Kostas

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "karoubas" <karoubas@y...> wrote:

                > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude
                > Catry" <instinct@s...> wrote:
                > >

                > > > I will ask, next time I see him jean-claude - most likely in mid
                > October
                > > > Kostas
                > >
                > > thanks for your willingness to be of so much help . i will try to
                think
                > > about more questions .one more right now : is he using animals ?
                > > jean-claude
                >

                > No jean-claude, he does not have animals - but his farm attracts all
                > kind of birds, bees etc.
                >
                > There is a good interview with Fukuoka-san, at this address -

                http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1982_July_August/The_Plowboy_Interview__Masanobu_Fukuoka
                > which you may or may not have seen. In it he emphasizes the need for
                > nitrogen fixing plants, especially white clover - with anything you
                plant.

                > Kostas

              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2011
                  Dear friends,
                  In December 10 to 12 i will be in Ymuna Nager near Delhi with "Ymuna jiye
                  abhiyan" N.G.O. for three days workshop on Natural Farming. About 50
                  participants taking part .Mr Manoj Mishra is Organizing this workshop.
                  and I will be in Ranchi Jharkhand betwwen 19 to 21 Mr Koshik is inviting
                  me for guidence he wanted to do natural farming in his field for school
                  children.This may spread some work in N.F.
                  Thanks
                  Raju

                  --
                  Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
                  +919179738049.

                • fhi_katari
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
                    Raju Ji,
                    Thank you for being so generous with your time, to be willing to travel all the way to Ranchi on a short notice. We really look forward to meeting and working with you.

                    Just to inform the rest of the group, my family has been devotees of Bharat Sevashram Sangha. Apart from being a religious organization, they are heavily involved in social work, and they have a strong presence in Bengal and Jharkhand. Recently, a local couple who do not have children of their own donated some land to them to start a school in Bundu, which is in the outskirts of Ranchi. Karia Munda ji, who is our MP and also closely associated with Bharat Sevashram, helped build a school building out of his MP funds.

                    We recently helped them purchase an additional plot of land, adjacent to the school. I have been following the group, and have read Fukuoka San's book a couple of times now. Our goal is to see if we can supply the food needs of the school through natural farming. As such, there is no livelihood at stake in the very beginning. I am hoping that over time, we can use this as a model farm, and have other people learn and adopt these methods.

                    Once again, thank you Raju Ji for your tireless efforts in making all of this happen. I feel deeply grateful, and hope that we can spread your message far and wide.

                    Kaushik Katari

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                    > Dear friends,
                    > In December 10 to 12 i will be in Ymuna Nager near Delhi with "Ymuna jiye
                    > abhiyan" N.G.O. for three days workshop on Natural Farming. About 50
                    > participants taking part .Mr Manoj Mishra is Organizing this workshop.
                    > and I will be in Ranchi Jharkhand betwwen 19 to 21 Mr Koshik is inviting
                    > me for guidence he wanted to do natural farming in his field for school
                    > children.This may spread some work in N.F.
                    > Thanks
                    > Raju
                    >

                    > --
                    > Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
                    > +919179738049.
                    > http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
                    > fukuoka_farming yahoogroup

                  • Anant Joglekar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 18, 2011
                      Dear kaushik Katari ji

                      Pranam

                      I am really touched with the noble cause Rajuji and your family are going to serve.

                      As this is going to be a beginning of the experiment of Transformation of the piece of land proposed, I would like to request you to BLOG it, so as to keep posted, every one interested in pursuing NF.

                      Wish you all the best.

                      With Warm Regards

                      anant joglekar
                      9423089706

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 19, 2011
                        Dear kaushikji,
                        Natural farming is worship of mother earth" based on nonviolence
                        and farming mostly based on tilling are against of this. Indian traditional
                        way of farming was also based on no tilling or minimum tilling. Framers
                        were converting desert by zero tillage in olden days.Thanking you very
                        much for giving many good comments.
                        Thanks
                        Raju