RE: [permaculture] Jean Pain + Brushwood + Biogas + Compost

  • Rex Teague
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2002
      On 7 Mar 02, souscayrous wrote:

      > Jean Pain used the traditional thermophyllic breakdown of any
      > compost pile (bacterial) while Lemieux suggests that the breakdown
      > of his ramial wood chips should be by basidiomycetes - white rot
      > (fungal). Why the difference?

      Elaine Ingham's "Soil Food Web" research will I suspect provide a
      clue, I haven't delved into her work very thoroughly. The following cut
      'n paste is from a publicity blurb promoting her pending visit to New
      Zealand.

      --Quote--
      The days are structured to fit the type of operation you operate:
      FUNGAL: Orcharding, Forestry, Vineyards.
      BACTERIAL: Pastural farming, Turf (sports fields/golf), vegetables,
      Grain.
      Input Manufacture: All products that are intended to be applied to the
      soil.
      --Unquote--

      Different horses for courses, further confirmation of Fukuoka's
      balancing act??

      > In reference to Jean Pain's biogas work, contact me off list if you
      > would any sources of further information on the Templar origins of
      > Jean Pain's work I would be grateful.

      Until Steve's reminder I'd forgotten the Templar reference, I'm equally
      interested in the skills of antiquity. Have you read any of Edmond
      Bordeaux Szekely and his Essene research in the Vatican archives.
      Both Scott Nearing and Juliette de Baïracli Levy spent time with him in
      Mexico.

      Cheers... Rex
    • souscayrous
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2002
        >Until Steve's reminder I'd forgotten the Templar reference, I'm equally
        >interested in the skills of antiquity. Have you read any of Edmond
        >Bordeaux Szekely and his Essene research in the Vatican archives.
        >Both Scott Nearing and Juliette de Baïracli Levy spent time with him in
        >Mexico.

        I know of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the problems of access to the Vatican,
        has Prof Bordeaux Szekely gained free access and, if so, what did he find
        (well, relating to agriculture anyway)?
        I think the Elaine Ingham work on fungal/bacterial soils is of especial
        interest when thinking about Pain and Lemieux; I'm currently making Pain's
        bacterial brushwood compost for use this summer on veg, but I'll have to
        invest in a chipper if I want to similarly take advantage of the fungal
        nature of Lemieux's ramial chipped wood (RCW), for the orchard I'm planning.

        Give me a few years and I'll get back to you with some results!

        Souscayrous