Re: [fukuoka_farming] natural farming

  • Andres Rattur
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hi!

      Kostas, I would also be very glad if you could send me some pictures.

      The last thing what I now about Fukuoka-san is that, he's somewhere 103
      years old and self and sound, only that he's legs are not good so he's
      moveing around in a wheelchair.

      Someone posted some time ago a message in this list, where it was said that
      Masanobu Fukuoka will participate on national exhibition.

      With best wishes,
      Andres,
      Estonia!

    • souscayrous
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 22, 2005
        Hello Kostas, you are very lucky to have Panos so close by as, from what I
        understand, Fukuoka acknowledges him as continuing his work. I'm sure the
        whole group would appreciate any photos you might have to share of your land
        and perhaps Panos' too. Perhaps you might upload them to the members area of
        this forum on the groups homepage
        www.groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming, then just click on the 'photos'
        to the left of the page and follow the instructions.

        I believe Fukuoka spends most of his time now with his family on Shikoku,
        but perhaps he still travels to Tokyo sometimes where he stays with Yuko
        Honma. He does have problems walking now, but at the age of 93 he still
        enjoys good health and a sharp mind, as the recent lecture at the Expo in
        Aichi shows.

        Good luck with posting the photos and continuing your natural farm,

        Jamie
        Souscayrous

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 23, 2005
          Hi Kostas, welcome to the group!
          Me too I would love to see some pictures.
          You know, you could put them in the 'photo' section of
          this group. There they will be accessible at any time for all of us.

          Greetings,
          Malika
          in The Netherlands
          ~~*~~
        • Forest Shomer
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 23, 2005
            >Message: 3
            > Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:24:43 -0400
            > From: "Akbar Khan" <akhan@...>
            >Subject: Re: natural farming
            >
            >Please please please post some pictures. Does any one know about Fukuoka
            >San? How old is he now and where does he live currently??
            >Akbar

            Hello Akbar,

            When Fukuoka-San visited here in 1986, he gave his age as 75.
            Therefore, depending on his birth date, he would now be either 94 or
            95 years of age.

            -Forest

            --
            Inside Passage Seeds and Native Plant Services
            Forest Shomer, owner
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 23, 2005
              Seeing on the television, and also reading about all of the
              consequences of climatic change/global warming, whatever it actually is
              that is causing all of the crop failure, fires, and floods in Europe, I
              am most interested if this Fukuoka-style farm in Greece has had any
              problems?

              I ask this because it has occurred to me that much of the problem is
              the manner of farming done...that it has added to the problem making it
              much worse. I have wondered if Natural Farming would adapt much better
              to all that is occurring. You would be the best to tell us the answers
              to this.

              Welcome to the group!

              Gloria Baikauskas
              Texas, USA
            • Akbar Khan
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 23, 2005
                Gloria where in Texas is your farm located? My sister lives in Dallas and
                they have some land in another small town.
                Akbar
                > Seeing on the television, and also reading about all of the
                > consequences of climatic change/global warming, whatever it actually is
                > that is causing all of the crop failure, fires, and floods in Europe, I
                > am most interested if this Fukuoka-style farm in Greece has had any
                > problems?
                >
                > I ask this because it has occurred to me that much of the problem is
                > the manner of farming done...that it has added to the problem making it
                > much worse. I have wondered if Natural Farming would adapt much better
                > to all that is occurring. You would be the best to tell us the answers
                > to this.
                >
                > Welcome to the group!
                >
                > Gloria Baikauskas
                > Texas, USA
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 24, 2005
                  My mailing address is Venus. I live between Mansfield and Venus
                  south of Dallas, and a bit west of it, in Johnson County.

                  Gloria

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Akbar Khan" <akhan@t...>
                  wrote:
                  > Gloria where in Texas is your farm located? My sister lives in
                  Dallas and
                  > they have some land in another small town.
                  > Akbar

                • karoubas
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 25, 2005
                    Hello Jamie,
                    I posted some photos in the photos section - hopefully I will go up to
                    Edessa and see Panagiotis again this coming week and take some more
                    photos - he has a group of volunteers/students from around the world,
                    and maybe they will allow me to take some photos while they are making
                    seed balls.
                    Kostas

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "souscayrous"

                  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 25, 2005
                      > Hello Jamie,
                      > I posted some photos in the photos section - hopefully I will go up to
                      > Edessa and see Panagiotis again this coming week and take some more
                      > photos - he has a group of volunteers/students from around the world,
                      > and maybe they will allow me to take some photos while they are making
                      > seed balls.
                      > Kostas

                      i am curious if he is irrigating and how .
                      jean-claude

                    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 25, 2005
                        hello Jaimie
                        glad to hear from you . i met a couple this summer in california that are
                        from italy and talk to us about you and your partner in natural farming ,
                        that was an amazing coincidence their name are clara scropitta and yan
                        vai.how your project is doing?about masanobu fukuoka, my calculation bring
                        its age to 92 considering i met him 9 and half year ago in india when he was
                        83 . so 92 , 93 sound right.
                        jean-claude

                      • souscayrous
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 29, 2005
                          Hello Jean-Claude, I think I remember Clara, she had a young child with her
                          during the Synergistic Course at Ontignano, Florence, called Luna?

                          We're now back in France full time and have just bought 4 hectares of land
                          (poor) and a ruin, which, inspired by Fukuoka and Panos (to who I must
                          surely go one day soon), we are looking to make into a 'natural farm'. I'm
                          finally beginning to understand that there really is nothing that needs to
                          be done.

                          Jamie

                          glad to hear from you . i met a couple this summer in california that are
                          from italy and talk to us about you and your partner in natural farming ,
                          that was an amazing coincidence their name are clara scropitta and yan
                          vai.how your project is doing?about masanobu fukuoka, my calculation bring
                          its age to 92 considering i met him 9 and half year ago in india when he was
                          83 . so 92 , 93 sound right.
                          jean-claude

                          > Hello Kostas, you are very lucky to have Panos so close by as, from what I
                          > understand, Fukuoka acknowledges him as continuing his work. I'm sure the
                          > whole group would appreciate any photos you might have to share of your
                          > land
                          > and perhaps Panos' too. Perhaps you might upload them to the members area
                          > of
                          > this forum on the groups homepage
                          > www.groups.yahoo.com/group/fukuoka_farming, then just click on the
                          > 'photos'
                          > to the left of the page and follow the instructions.
                          >
                          > I believe Fukuoka spends most of his time now with his family on Shikoku,
                          > but perhaps he still travels to Tokyo sometimes where he stays with Yuko
                          > Honma. He does have problems walking now, but at the age of 93 he still
                          > enjoys good health and a sharp mind, as the recent lecture at the Expo in
                          > Aichi shows.
                          >
                          > Good luck with posting the photos and continuing your natural farm,
                          >

                          > Jamie
                          > Souscayrous

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Michael Meredith
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 17, 2009
                            Steve, you are doing good, similar to my own thinking, just 150 miles south of you.
                            I only have 1/10 acre to start, but will add more later, of some very depleted soils.
                            The ground covers are the easiest way to do this, but I lack equipment, so am trying to innovate, so as to get vegetables the first year. Try doing some with just a shovel, and I'll listen.
                            Keep us posted on your progress!
                            Michael

                          • grannis04
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 18, 2009
                              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith
                              <meredith848@...> wrote:

                              > Steve, you are doing good, similar to my own thinking, just 150
                              miles south of you.
                              > I only have 1/10 acre to start, but will add more later, of some
                              very depleted soils.
                              > The ground covers are the easiest way to do this, but I lack
                              equipment, so am trying to innovate, so as to get vegetables the first
                              year. Try doing some with just a shovel, and I'll listen.
                              > Keep us posted on your progress!
                              > Michael

                              Micheal, I've been working my natural areas with only a scythe and a
                              rake. Fukuoka mentions a scythe in his writing and I think it is key
                              to a low labor high output biological system. I've done okay with
                              first year crops but it really depends on the plants that are living
                              on your land now. If you have mixed grasses with some clover and
                              dandelion then a first year crop is possible. The foremost
                              consideration is keeping the earth covered with either green or brown.
                              That's cover growth or light mulches. The Earth has a skin and like
                              ours it must be cared for, when there is a cut medicine plants go
                              there first, we can help in the process by dressing the wound with
                              mulches (band-aids). This is winter when our winter gardens flourish
                              in our mind's eye. Thanks, Steve
                            • cathrine sodi
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 3 1:26 PM
                                it is important to learn about the ill effects of un natural agri culture, thanks raju, you encourage us to keep sewing the seeds that mother nature has given us

                              • wongso
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 5 12:23 AM
                                  Bienvenue!

                                  Nous sommes a l'ile maurice...