fig tree in greenhouse?

  • Zack Domike
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2005
      Regarding fig trees, I would like to echo Jean
      Claude's question with a further permutation for my
      climate which is significantly colder than Victoria
      Island, BC, where I believe Jean Claude is located.
      It does not freeze very often here, but the summer
      rarely gets above 18*C, or 65*F, for more than an hour
      at a time.

      Will fig trees thrive and produce in a tall
      greenhouse? [I can bring bees in for the pollen
      period.]

      Saludos de Puerto Montt, Chile, where we are entering
      a pleasant spring after a long wet spell.
      Zachary

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2005
        > Regarding fig trees, I would like to echo Jean
        > Claude's question with a further permutation for my
        > climate which is significantly colder than Victoria
        > Island, BC, where I believe Jean Claude is located.
        > It does not freeze very often here, but the summer
        > rarely gets above 18*C, or 65*F, for more than an hour
        > at a time.
        >
        > Will fig trees thrive and produce in a tall
        > greenhouse? [I can bring bees in for the pollen
        > period.]

        it might be your only chance and yes i think they will get warm enough to
        produce the first crop . no need for pollinisation to fruit . here it is
        hotter summer and we get only the first crop ,the second can't mature before
        the leaves fall .( in a green house we could get 2 crops .
        one year i let the 2nd crop on the tree and they overwinter without damage ,
        started to swell in the spring but the tree drop them out later on when the
        first crop showed up .
        jean-claude