Weeds: Guardian or the soil

  • Chris Bellanger
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2005
      Hi all,

      I agree with you Gloria... most people do not understand that the 'weeds'
      are there to heal damaged soil, and replace lost nutrients, much the same as
      germs in our bodies.

      Many traditional farmers noted this fact, by observing that an area of land
      no longer fertile, if left for 10-20 years would often be restored to
      productivity.

      However if we don't want to wait that long, the biodynamic system can
      restore health to the soil in as little as 2-3 years, if applied correctly.

      Another possibility is changing crops, for if one plant won't grow, another
      may. I know of some examples here in Australia where instead of combatting
      the 'noxious weeds' in an area of land, they started harvesting the weeds,
      which just happened to be highly sought after medicainal herbs, and got
      organic certification thereby generating a premium for their product.

      Chris Bellanger
      Melb, Oz