Re: Digest Number 990

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2005
      Thanks, Scott. I will look into it. I am ready right now to find a
      source for some good seed. I have ordered my seed before from Seeds
      of Change.

      Gloria, Texas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Scott Devine
      <inroadsfarm@y...> wrote:
      > Hey Gloria, in terms of cover crops to try in your climate, you
      could experiment with sunn hemp, tepary bean, mung bean, sorghum
      sudan grass, sunflowers, sesame, millet, cowpeas, velvet beans, jack
      beans.

      > Scott Miguel
      > Jinotepe, Carazo, Nicaragua
      > www.abundancefarm.com
      >
      > fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >
      > There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: intro and some philosophy
      > From: "Gloria C. Baikauskas"
      > 2. adapting
      > From: "garden03048"

      __

      __

> [...]
      > digging to
      > > loosen it and improve winter freezing sometimes. Underlying
      problem
      > is
      > > insufficient drainage, that make humus and nutrients leach and
      soil
      > pack.
      > > With good drainage I would need to work the soil less. I am
      > improving
      > > drainage gradually but outlet possibilities are poor and natural
      > drainage
      > > almost nil.
      > > One basic fact is that almost all vegetables and grains we grow
      > have
      > > developed far away from here, in warmer and also in most cases
      less
      > humid
      > > climate. But our weeds are well adapted and easily outgrows the
      > cultivated
      > > plants. What is really well adapted here is pasture and meadow
      and
      > foraging
      > > animals. Pasture plants are more or less domestic here and
      animals
      > are well
      > > adapted, especially if you keep landraces. I have no animals
      > (except one
      > > cat) but my interest in keeping animals is growing.
      > >
      > > My impression of this list is that it is difficult to follow
      > Fukuoka. Takes
      > > one local genius in every region to find methods in accordance
      with
      > his
      > > philosophy and even when and if this is done it will be
      difficult.
      > My
      > > impression is that the majority on this list are in reality
      > followers of
      > > Ruth Stout more than Masanobu Fukuoka, as you emphasise heavy
      > mulching to
      > > such a degree. I think it is more Fukuokan philosophy to use
      > intelligent
      > > and fairly mild methods to direct the weeds into playing
      > constructive roles
      > > in the garden, rather than choking them to death.
      > >
      > > However I think Fukuokas philosophy is a great contribution to us
      > and it
      > > will continue to inspire and challenge. The implementations of it
      > will pop
      > > up here and there. What impresses me most in Fukuokas philosophy
      is
      > that it
      > > is so universal and holistic. The no-till aspect may have been
      > > overemphasised a bit. But low-till is coming more and more and
      this
      > is very
      > > good, fore energy saving, soil, climate, mycorrhiza etc. If we
      > reach
      > > no-till we will se. We have to be able to adapt and be practical
      > and
      > > philosophical rather than ideological. Such is the way of Fukuoka.

      __

      __

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:18:36 -0000
      > From: "garden03048"
      > Subject: adapting
      >
      > Anders,
      >
      > very interesting letter. I try to be mostly organic and 'natural',
      > but we do have to adjust to reality.
      >
      > Sounds like you need raised beds if your drainage is that poor.
      >
      > Also, you might save seed from year to year and see gradual changes
      > to better suit your climate. I sowed buckwheat as a cover crop a
      few
      > years ago. I still get some volunteers coming up and they seem
      > larger and hardier than the originals. Tomato seed is real easy to
      > save from year to year. There may be other vegies that you can let
      > go to seed. I admit I haven't done much. But experimenting is fun.
      >
      > Sometimes nature susprises us. After years of digging gladiola
      corms
      > each Fall as all the books recommend, I was too lazy to do it last
      > Fall. Much to my surprise, most came up this June even though in
      > January we had sub zero weather with little or no snow cover. We
      > don't always have to follow the book....
      >
      > anthony New Hampshire zone 5

      __