Re: Anybody tried growing Basmati rice? Plus an introduction.

  • berinerturk
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8 6:48 AM
      There, tomatoes are not ripening as they should; here, peppers
      are "no good" this season. Apple trees in our region (northeast
      Turkey) did not blossom at all. A friend who arrived last week from
      Austria said it was the same there. Experienced farmers cannot say
      what is wrong.
      Could it be because of global warming and climate changes?
      Berin Erturk
      Jade Farm, Turkey

    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8 8:46 PM
        Anthony...I own an organic gardening list at yahoogroups.com. I have
        noticed that many folks in your part of the country have said their
        tomatoes are not ripening like they think they should be. I have no
        idea why.

        Figuring you should start seeds 6 weeks before their outside planting
        date...I wouldn't think an April start was too late for where you
        live....unless it was the end of April.

        Have you read Fukuoka's "One Straw Revolution?" It is in the files on
        the homepage for this group.

        Gloria, Texas
        US
      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8 9:02 PM
          I don't know, Berin. I think it is happening globally. My fruit
          trees also did not bloom this year. My grapes are not going to have
          grapes this year for the first time. My tomatoes are ripening, but I
          didn't plant very many. One of my friends had so many tomatoes this
          year they really almost wish the plants would die. They also live
          here. The only thing he did differently is that he added calcium to
          his soil where the tomatoes are. Research does show that both
          tomatoes and potatoes do better when calcium is added. That isn't
          very Fukuokan.....but I thought I would tell you. The yields are
          reportedly 25% higher with calcium.

          I mentioned in an earlier post tonight that this same report has been
          repeated on the organic gardening list I own. I do not know if it is
          global warming,etc.

          Gloria, Texas
          US

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"