Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Anybody tried growing Basmati rice? Plus an introduction.

  • Steve Gage
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
      garden03048 wrote:

      >I garden in N. central Massachusetts. Not purely organic, but I
      >seldom use insecticides or herbicides. The exceptions are spraying
      >against the lily beetle and against poison ivy. There are limits to
      >my tolerance.
      >
      >Has been a mostly good year for the garden, but my tomatoes are slow
      >to ripen in spite of all the heat and humidity we have had. I didn't
      >get to start them (from seed) till April. Do they need to be older
      >to ripen?
      >
      >anthony zone 5

      My tomatoes aren't ripening as quickly as I'd like, either. In fact, I'm
      a bit bothered by the situation. If you started them in April, the
      plants are plenty mature enough. I don't know what it is - you'd think
      that the weather we've been having would make things earlier rather than
      later. At least they're not deep, dark green - I mean, there are signs
      of ripening. But not a blush of pink or orange yet...

      Speaking of tomatoes, the hornworms have struck in the last couple of
      days, as I knew they would. I've been plucking them off and flinging
      them to my chickens. These things get so big that some of them actually
      intimidate the chickens a bit. I threw one of them (must have been a
      quarter pounder :-) about 30 feet, across the fence to where the
      chickens were scratching, and actually heard a big thump when it hit the
      ground! I don't know how they get so big so fast. Well, yes I do - they
      do it by eating my tomato plants!

      Still plenty of growing season left - we must be patient. But I want
      some tomatoes!

      - Steve
    • berinerturk
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
        There, tomatoes are not ripening as they should; here, peppers
        are "no good" this season. Apple trees in our region (northeast
        Turkey) did not blossom at all. A friend who arrived last week from
        Austria said it was the same there. Experienced farmers cannot say
        what is wrong.
        Could it be because of global warming and climate changes?
        Berin Erturk
        Jade Farm, Turkey

      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
          Anthony...I own an organic gardening list at yahoogroups.com. I have
          noticed that many folks in your part of the country have said their
          tomatoes are not ripening like they think they should be. I have no
          idea why.

          Figuring you should start seeds 6 weeks before their outside planting
          date...I wouldn't think an April start was too late for where you
          live....unless it was the end of April.

          Have you read Fukuoka's "One Straw Revolution?" It is in the files on
          the homepage for this group.

          Gloria, Texas
          US
        • Gloria C. Baikauskas
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
            I don't know, Berin. I think it is happening globally. My fruit
            trees also did not bloom this year. My grapes are not going to have
            grapes this year for the first time. My tomatoes are ripening, but I
            didn't plant very many. One of my friends had so many tomatoes this
            year they really almost wish the plants would die. They also live
            here. The only thing he did differently is that he added calcium to
            his soil where the tomatoes are. Research does show that both
            tomatoes and potatoes do better when calcium is added. That isn't
            very Fukuokan.....but I thought I would tell you. The yields are
            reportedly 25% higher with calcium.

            I mentioned in an earlier post tonight that this same report has been
            repeated on the organic gardening list I own. I do not know if it is
            global warming,etc.

            Gloria, Texas
            US

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"