Re: [fukuoka_farming] Anybody tried growing Basmati rice?

  • buttahfly@xprs.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
      Hi Faith
      I live in Lake County near Lower Lake, on 27 acres and I hope to begin
      growing some rice. (We have a lot of boron in our water from a well.) That
      is exciting! Where abouts in Northern CA are you headed?

      Best,
      Brian Kennedy
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Steve Gage <sgage@t...> wrote:
        > Hi Faith,
        >
        > I believe that part of the reason for flooding the paddies is that
        it
        > hurts the weeds and pests more than the rice. Also, I believe there
        is
        > some nitrogen connection as well - I think there's a kind of
        > bacteria/algae thing that gets going in the flooded paddy that does
        > N-fixation. Living in New Hampshire, USA, I've never tried growing
        rice,
        > flooded or not :-)
        >
        > I've been lurking here for quite a while, but this is my first
        post, so
        > I suppose I ought to introduce myself. I live in Central New
        Hampshire,
        > a place with a rather short growing season, so we are always
        fiddling
        > with various modes of "season extension". I am simple, so I just
        use
        > coldframes to jumpstart things a bit. I tried the whole growlights
        in
        > the basement thing, but that's just a bit too fussy for me at the
        > moment. I try as best I can to apply the attitude of M. Fukuoka to
        my
        > garden, but as I'm sure we all know, what works in semi-tropical
        Japan
        > doesn't necessarily work in Northern New England. However...
        >
        > I am strictly organic - no chemicals whatsoever. I am no-till (once
        beds
        > are made), except the incidental soil disruption that comes with
        > transplanting. I have built raised beds, which I mulch heavily with
        > spent hay and whatever weeds I feel I have to pull, along with my
        crop
        > wastes. I trim dead plants off at ground level, leaving the roots
        > feed the soil and form channels. I keep very good track of what I
        > planted where and when, so I can rotate my crops intelligently. I
        have a
        > big draft horse (I use her mostly for logging my woodlot, and just
        > driving around for fun) that supplies all the manure that I and
        several
        > neighbors can possibly use! Between the horse and my 4 sheep and
        umpteen
        > chickens, fertility inputs are no problem, and I always have waste
        hay
        > to use for mulch.
        >
        > My main crops are garlic (just harvested yesterday - best crop
        ever!),
        > peas, lettuce, radishes, various beans, tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers,
        > zucchini, spinach, chard, kale, carrots, etc. Been doing it this
        way for
        > 12 years now, and results are excellent. I have fresh bush beans
        from
        > mid-July to mid-September, and I freeze and pickle tons of 'em. I
        store
        > lots of pinto and black beans, and I make lots of cucumber pickles.
        > put up loads of tomatoes, and I also make lots of pesto and
        gazpacho,
        > and freeze it - great flavors of Summer to pull out of the freezer
        in
        > the middle of January up here!
        >
        > My soil, which started out as a rocky, silty-sandy, almost-orange
        > glacial afterthought is now a foot deep of rich black, well, soil.
        Full
        > of worms and good things, and occasional bad actors - cutworms and
        slugs
        > are my biggest pest problems. My garden is small enough that I can
        just
        > pick slugs in the morning. I also pull the mulch way back from
        tender
        > young lettuces in the Spring, and that helps a lot. Sometimes
        tomato
        > hornworms come into my garden (any day now?), and I need to get up
        early
        > every morning to pick 'em. But they're easily beaten. Weeds are no
        > problem at all, what with all the mulch, and weeding is very casual.
        >
        > I am an ecologist by training, so I love to just sit in my garden
        at the
        > end of the day with a beer and just enjoy all the life going on.
        The
        > insect diversity is astonishing. I teach various ecology courses at
        > Granite State College, including a course called Sustainable
        Gardening.
        > Many of my students have some vague idea about "organic gardening"
        and
        > whatnot. They currently garden in the "spank it hard with a
        rototiller
        > and lay down the Miracle-Gro" mode, and seem to understand that
        there's
        > a less violent way. I always warn them that the conversion from
        chemical
        > to organic gardening takes a year or three for a real ecosystem to
        set
        > in and come to equilibrium. So, for folks just starting out, don't
        take
        > one year's disaster as meaning that organic/no-till/Fukuoka methods
        > don't work.
        >
        > Wow, I've been rambling! Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading all of
        the
        > insights being shared on this list, and I hope I can contribute
        > something or other. Are there any other northern growers out there?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > - Steve
        >

        > Steve,
        I garden in N. central Massachusetts. Not purely organic, but I
        seldom use insecticides or herbicides. The exceptions are spraying
        against the lily beetle and against poison ivy. There are limits to
        my tolerance.

        Has been a mostly good year for the garden, but my tomatoes are slow
        to ripen in spite of all the heat and humidity we have had. I didn't
        get to start them (from seed) till April. Do they need to be older
        to ripen?

        anthony zone 5

      • Steve Gage
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
          garden03048 wrote:

          >I garden in N. central Massachusetts. Not purely organic, but I
          >seldom use insecticides or herbicides. The exceptions are spraying
          >against the lily beetle and against poison ivy. There are limits to
          >my tolerance.
          >
          >Has been a mostly good year for the garden, but my tomatoes are slow
          >to ripen in spite of all the heat and humidity we have had. I didn't
          >get to start them (from seed) till April. Do they need to be older
          >to ripen?
          >
          >anthony zone 5

          My tomatoes aren't ripening as quickly as I'd like, either. In fact, I'm
          a bit bothered by the situation. If you started them in April, the
          plants are plenty mature enough. I don't know what it is - you'd think
          that the weather we've been having would make things earlier rather than
          later. At least they're not deep, dark green - I mean, there are signs
          of ripening. But not a blush of pink or orange yet...

          Speaking of tomatoes, the hornworms have struck in the last couple of
          days, as I knew they would. I've been plucking them off and flinging
          them to my chickens. These things get so big that some of them actually
          intimidate the chickens a bit. I threw one of them (must have been a
          quarter pounder :-) about 30 feet, across the fence to where the
          chickens were scratching, and actually heard a big thump when it hit the
          ground! I don't know how they get so big so fast. Well, yes I do - they
          do it by eating my tomato plants!

          Still plenty of growing season left - we must be patient. But I want
          some tomatoes!

          - Steve
        • berinerturk
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
            There, tomatoes are not ripening as they should; here, peppers
            are "no good" this season. Apple trees in our region (northeast
            Turkey) did not blossom at all. A friend who arrived last week from
            Austria said it was the same there. Experienced farmers cannot say
            what is wrong.
            Could it be because of global warming and climate changes?
            Berin Erturk
            Jade Farm, Turkey

          • Gloria C. Baikauskas
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
              Anthony...I own an organic gardening list at yahoogroups.com. I have
              noticed that many folks in your part of the country have said their
              tomatoes are not ripening like they think they should be. I have no
              idea why.

              Figuring you should start seeds 6 weeks before their outside planting
              date...I wouldn't think an April start was too late for where you
              live....unless it was the end of April.

              Have you read Fukuoka's "One Straw Revolution?" It is in the files on
              the homepage for this group.

              Gloria, Texas
              US
            • Gloria C. Baikauskas
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
                I don't know, Berin. I think it is happening globally. My fruit
                trees also did not bloom this year. My grapes are not going to have
                grapes this year for the first time. My tomatoes are ripening, but I
                didn't plant very many. One of my friends had so many tomatoes this
                year they really almost wish the plants would die. They also live
                here. The only thing he did differently is that he added calcium to
                his soil where the tomatoes are. Research does show that both
                tomatoes and potatoes do better when calcium is added. That isn't
                very Fukuokan.....but I thought I would tell you. The yields are
                reportedly 25% higher with calcium.

                I mentioned in an earlier post tonight that this same report has been
                repeated on the organic gardening list I own. I do not know if it is
                global warming,etc.

                Gloria, Texas
                US

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"