Re: [fukuoka_farming] Anybody tried growing Basmati rice?

  • John Warner
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
      Hello Faith and all Fukuokans!

      I have not grown rice myself but have considered it. Decided not to bother because of it's high water requirement and I expect, as energy costs rise in the future, the cost of pumping water will become very dear. In the Medeterranian climate of California's Central Valley, I'm looking more to winter crops [rice is a warm season crop] so I can leave most of my garden fallow during the hottest summer months.

      But the Hmong people here and about Fresno grow it regularly for their personal use. An acquaintence of mine was growing a special kind of black rice from Laos right outside his house, There are two main kinds of rice though: upland and paddy rice--the latter needing standing water for a good part of the season and I don't think there is much way to tell the difference by looking at the seed. Home gardeners would have more success with upland rice unless their soil is very poorly drained. Some searching will reveal a huge amount of information on rice growing though. I'd just keep trying with different sources until you find a variety that works. As far as I know named and described rice varieties are not available from regular seed suppliers.

      I love growing seeds from the food markets. All beans work very well. Bird seed mixes provide a lot of biological diversity.

      Good wishes,

      John Warner, Madera Whole Systems Agriculture near Fresno, California
      No-tillage, permanent mulch market growers since 1996

      www.WholeSystemsAg.org.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
        Hi John,

        Market growers, huh? Do you let people come by for a tour of your facility?

        Back to the subject of rice... there is something I haven't figured out yet from Fukuoka's book.. he states that flooding the rice plants in paddies weakens the rice plants by rotting off the roots. So why do people do it? The only indication I got is that the rice needs so much water that it will have its growth stunted if it doesn't get enough, so people flood their paddies just to prevent a water stress situation. Is that what he is saying, or did I get that wrong??? He also says that he only floods his paddy in the spring to weaken the rapidly growing clover, to give the rice a better chance to compete with it. Is it possible that no rice actually needs to be grown in a paddy, that they just need abundant water? Maybe if paddy rice didn't have some of their roots rotted off, they wouldn't need so much water! Maybe with mulching and healthy soil, rice wouldn't need any more water than any other rapidly growing crop, say like corn?

        Thanks!

        Faith Arnold

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
          Hi Faith,

          I believe that part of the reason for flooding the paddies is that it
          hurts the weeds and pests more than the rice. Also, I believe there is
          some nitrogen connection as well - I think there's a kind of
          bacteria/algae thing that gets going in the flooded paddy that does
          N-fixation. Living in New Hampshire, USA, I've never tried growing rice,
          flooded or not :-)

          I've been lurking here for quite a while, but this is my first post, so
          I suppose I ought to introduce myself. I live in Central New Hampshire,
          a place with a rather short growing season, so we are always fiddling
          with various modes of "season extension". I am simple, so I just use
          coldframes to jumpstart things a bit. I tried the whole growlights in
          the basement thing, but that's just a bit too fussy for me at the
          moment. I try as best I can to apply the attitude of M. Fukuoka to my
          garden, but as I'm sure we all know, what works in semi-tropical Japan
          doesn't necessarily work in Northern New England. However...

          I am strictly organic - no chemicals whatsoever. I am no-till (once beds
          are made), except the incidental soil disruption that comes with
          transplanting. I have built raised beds, which I mulch heavily with
          spent hay and whatever weeds I feel I have to pull, along with my crop
          wastes. I trim dead plants off at ground level, leaving the roots to
          feed the soil and form channels. I keep very good track of what I
          planted where and when, so I can rotate my crops intelligently. I have a
          big draft horse (I use her mostly for logging my woodlot, and just
          driving around for fun) that supplies all the manure that I and several
          neighbors can possibly use! Between the horse and my 4 sheep and umpteen
          chickens, fertility inputs are no problem, and I always have waste hay
          to use for mulch.

          My main crops are garlic (just harvested yesterday - best crop ever!),
          peas, lettuce, radishes, various beans, tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers,
          zucchini, spinach, chard, kale, carrots, etc. Been doing it this way for
          12 years now, and results are excellent. I have fresh bush beans from
          mid-July to mid-September, and I freeze and pickle tons of 'em. I store
          lots of pinto and black beans, and I make lots of cucumber pickles. I
          put up loads of tomatoes, and I also make lots of pesto and gazpacho,
          and freeze it - great flavors of Summer to pull out of the freezer in
          the middle of January up here!

          My soil, which started out as a rocky, silty-sandy, almost-orange
          glacial afterthought is now a foot deep of rich black, well, soil. Full
          of worms and good things, and occasional bad actors - cutworms and slugs
          are my biggest pest problems. My garden is small enough that I can just
          pick slugs in the morning. I also pull the mulch way back from tender
          young lettuces in the Spring, and that helps a lot. Sometimes tomato
          hornworms come into my garden (any day now?), and I need to get up early
          every morning to pick 'em. But they're easily beaten. Weeds are no
          problem at all, what with all the mulch, and weeding is very casual.

          I am an ecologist by training, so I love to just sit in my garden at the
          end of the day with a beer and just enjoy all the life going on. The
          insect diversity is astonishing. I teach various ecology courses at
          Granite State College, including a course called Sustainable Gardening.
          Many of my students have some vague idea about "organic gardening" and
          whatnot. They currently garden in the "spank it hard with a rototiller
          and lay down the Miracle-Gro" mode, and seem to understand that there's
          a less violent way. I always warn them that the conversion from chemical
          to organic gardening takes a year or three for a real ecosystem to set
          in and come to equilibrium. So, for folks just starting out, don't take
          one year's disaster as meaning that organic/no-till/Fukuoka methods
          don't work.

          Wow, I've been rambling! Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading all of the
          insights being shared on this list, and I hope I can contribute
          something or other. Are there any other northern growers out there?

          Cheers,

          - Steve

        • buttahfly@xprs.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
            Hi Faith
            I live in Lake County near Lower Lake, on 27 acres and I hope to begin
            growing some rice. (We have a lot of boron in our water from a well.) That
            is exciting! Where abouts in Northern CA are you headed?

            Best,
            Brian Kennedy
            > Anybody out there ever try to grow aromatic (Basmati-type) rice? If you
            have, I would love to hear about your experience with it. I didn't know
            where to get basmati seeds, so I just planted some organically-grown brown
            "Basmati" rice I got from my local health food market. Surprise, surprise,
            they sprouted nearly 100%! (Even most of the grains that were broken in
            half!) I just potted up three dozen quart-sized pots of them (I put three
            sprouts in each pot...their shoots are only about 1/4 inch long so far),
            then broadcast the remainder over soil in a plastic bus box, (because I
            didn't have the heart to waste them). That is going to be a lot of rice
            plants to deal with, considering I'm in the middle of moving to a place we
            just bought in Northern California, about a six hundred mile drive from
            here! I don't have any kind of a garden ready for them yet up there, so they
            may have to stay in pots for the whole season. But I don't think rice could
            be planted any later in the seas!
            > on than this and have any hope of maturing. (I already have six pots of a
            medium grain rice that are close to a foot tall, planted back in June.)

            > Since the Basmati sprouted so well, I suspect it may be a fairly fresh
            batch from some U.S. grown rice, maybe Texmati. But they definitely have
            that wonderful Basmati smell, even after the seeds sprouted! (in a wet paper
            towel). I didn't think commercial brown rice would sprout, considering they
            don't have the protection of their husks, but I guess plants don't
            necessarily need their seed husks. I started some sunflower seeds this
            spring the same way (hull-less), and wrapped in a wet paper towel. They are
            starting to form flower buds already.

            > Faith Arnold

          • garden03048
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Steve Gage <sgage@t...> wrote:
> [...]
              > whatnot. They currently garden in the "spank it hard with a
              rototiller
              > and lay down the Miracle-Gro" mode, and seem to understand that
              there's
              > a less violent way. I always warn them that the conversion from
              chemical
              > to organic gardening takes a year or three for a real ecosystem to
              set
              > in and come to equilibrium. So, for folks just starting out, don't
              take
              > one year's disaster as meaning that organic/no-till/Fukuoka methods
              > don't work.
              >
              > Wow, I've been rambling! Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading all of
              the
              > insights being shared on this list, and I hope I can contribute
              > something or other. Are there any other northern growers out there?

              I garden in N. central Massachusetts. Not purely organic, but I
              seldom use insecticides or herbicides. The exceptions are spraying
              against the lily beetle and against poison ivy. There are limits to
              my tolerance.

              Has been a mostly good year for the garden, but my tomatoes are slow
              to ripen in spite of all the heat and humidity we have had. I didn't
              get to start them (from seed) till April. Do they need to be older
              to ripen?

              anthony zone 5

            • Steve Gage
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
                garden03048 wrote:

                >I garden in N. central Massachusetts. Not purely organic, but I
                >seldom use insecticides or herbicides. The exceptions are spraying
                >against the lily beetle and against poison ivy. There are limits to
                >my tolerance.
                >
                >Has been a mostly good year for the garden, but my tomatoes are slow
                >to ripen in spite of all the heat and humidity we have had. I didn't
                >get to start them (from seed) till April. Do they need to be older
                >to ripen?
                >
                >anthony zone 5

                My tomatoes aren't ripening as quickly as I'd like, either. In fact, I'm
                a bit bothered by the situation. If you started them in April, the
                plants are plenty mature enough. I don't know what it is - you'd think
                that the weather we've been having would make things earlier rather than
                later. At least they're not deep, dark green - I mean, there are signs
                of ripening. But not a blush of pink or orange yet...

                Speaking of tomatoes, the hornworms have struck in the last couple of
                days, as I knew they would. I've been plucking them off and flinging
                them to my chickens. These things get so big that some of them actually
                intimidate the chickens a bit. I threw one of them (must have been a
                quarter pounder :-) about 30 feet, across the fence to where the
                chickens were scratching, and actually heard a big thump when it hit the
                ground! I don't know how they get so big so fast. Well, yes I do - they
                do it by eating my tomato plants!

                Still plenty of growing season left - we must be patient. But I want
                some tomatoes!

                - Steve
              • berinerturk
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
                  There, tomatoes are not ripening as they should; here, peppers
                  are "no good" this season. Apple trees in our region (northeast
                  Turkey) did not blossom at all. A friend who arrived last week from
                  Austria said it was the same there. Experienced farmers cannot say
                  what is wrong.
                  Could it be because of global warming and climate changes?
                  Berin Erturk
                  Jade Farm, Turkey

                • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
                    Anthony...I own an organic gardening list at yahoogroups.com. I have
                    noticed that many folks in your part of the country have said their
                    tomatoes are not ripening like they think they should be. I have no
                    idea why.

                    Figuring you should start seeds 6 weeks before their outside planting
                    date...I wouldn't think an April start was too late for where you
                    live....unless it was the end of April.

                    Have you read Fukuoka's "One Straw Revolution?" It is in the files on
                    the homepage for this group.

                    Gloria, Texas
                    US
                  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
                      I don't know, Berin. I think it is happening globally. My fruit
                      trees also did not bloom this year. My grapes are not going to have
                      grapes this year for the first time. My tomatoes are ripening, but I
                      didn't plant very many. One of my friends had so many tomatoes this
                      year they really almost wish the plants would die. They also live
                      here. The only thing he did differently is that he added calcium to
                      his soil where the tomatoes are. Research does show that both
                      tomatoes and potatoes do better when calcium is added. That isn't
                      very Fukuokan.....but I thought I would tell you. The yields are
                      reportedly 25% higher with calcium.

                      I mentioned in an earlier post tonight that this same report has been
                      repeated on the organic gardening list I own. I do not know if it is
                      global warming,etc.

                      Gloria, Texas
                      US

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"