Re: Field bindweed - a natural solution

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Although it is native to South America, tagetes minuta has apparently
      been spread about the world for various reasons. I am trying to find
      a seed source for it in the US because when I last ordered from
      Richter's they said they would no longer be shipping seed to the US.
      So far I have not turned one up...but I have been writing to some of
      the good seed companies I trade with from time to time.

      Perhaps you can find a source in Europe, or closer to home and share
      it with the group, too, Berin. Bindweed does indeed seem to be
      everywhere. It has been the topic on nearly all the
      gardening/farming groups I belong to of late.

      Gloria, Texas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"

    • les landeck
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi, African Marigolds was discussed in Organic Gardening Mag. some 25 years ago as a plant to stop the growth of Bermuda grass by a write in to the editor as in finding success i have used carpet to stop it's encroachment and covered it with burlap extra layers and put it in retreat, the Marigolds may do the same may get a chance to try them soon they have many benefits that we need to explore. as to other problems carpet works but will require repeated placings until all the seed of a given plant is depleted.

        Moving along, Les

        berinerturk <berinerturk@...> wrote: Hello all,

        wrote:
> [...]
        > >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as
        a friend".
        > >()
        > >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as
        they are. For
        > >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up"
        here. It shows
        > >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
        against
        > >them and their famous Round Up...
        > >
        > >--------
        > >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to
        the climate
        > >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
        remembered
        > >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
        attentive look.
        > >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)

        Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic farming

      • Faith Arnold
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
          Les wrote:

          Good Morning All,

          Bind weed as i know it is wild morning glory there are about four other plants that creat the same challanges. The wild Morning Glory is a soil indcator and works as a sub soiler breaking through hard pans. I find it only were it needs to be and controll by not letting it set seed. Seeing it as a friend may help a bit.

          Les

          Ps the roots go down over 10 feet

          Hi Les,

          I don't think there is hardpan, per se, in either location where I have the stuff growing, but I like your philosophy regarding it... very "Fukuoka". However, if I get frustrated enough, I may try Irene's suggestion about training it up a stake to isolate it for special treatment.

          Faith