Re: Field bindweed - a natural solution

  • berinerturk
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello all,
      welcome back Beatrice, wish you health,
      thanks Les and Gloria for reminding where we stand.
      All these discussions in this group on how to use Round up disturbed
      me deeply. It may be because of a "bias" against Monsanto, even so,
      I don't intend to change my opinion.
      I had tried vinegar for some weeds (not bindweed) without success
      but with the detailed information Gloria gives I am ready to try
      again. Thanks Gloria.
      Bindweed seems to be everywhere! I keep digging it up in my garden
      here in Turkey. Lets hope "tagetes minuta" will be available as
      well. Will simple marigold be of any help?
      Berin Erturk

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Urban Wild <urbanwild@g...>
      wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I haven't planted this, but found out about it this year. Will try
      it
      > next spring.
      >
      > //Tagetes minuta//
      > http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?
      Tagetes+minuta&CAN=LATIND

      > Muster-John-Henry
      >
      > This plant is widely used in companion planting schemes[238].
      Secretions
      > from the roots of growing plants have an insecticidal effect on
      the
      > soil, effective against nematodes and to some extent against
      keeled
      > slugs. These secretions are produced about 3 - 4 months after
      > sowing[200]. These root secretions also have a herbicidal effect,
      > inhibiting the growth of certain plants growing nearby. It has
      been
      > found effective against perennial weeds such as Ranunculus ficaria
      > (Celandine), Aegopodium podagraria Ground elder), Glechoma
      hederacea
      > (Ground ivy), Agropyron repens (Couch grass) and Convolvulus
      arvensis
      > (Field bindweed)[200, 238].
      >
      > Available at Richter's www.richters.com, but /Due to USDA
      regulations,
      > this item can not be shipped to California./
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Al
      >
      > --
      > My Urban Garden projects
      > http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
      > Items wanted and Thanks
      > http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc
      >

      > Beatrice Gilboa wrote:
      >
      > >Hello All,
      > >
      > >I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
      > >Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello
      to the whom
      > >I know better.
      > >
      > >Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to
      think like Les
      > >that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for
      our patience
      > >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as
      a friend".
      > >()
      > >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as
      they are. For
      > >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up"
      here. It shows
      > >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
      against
      > >them and their famous Round Up...
      > >
      > >--------
      > >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to
      the climate
      > >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
      remembered
      > >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
      attentive look.
      > >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)
      > >
      > >Best wishes to all of you
      > >Beatrice
      > >Udim, Israel
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        Although it is native to South America, tagetes minuta has apparently
        been spread about the world for various reasons. I am trying to find
        a seed source for it in the US because when I last ordered from
        Richter's they said they would no longer be shipping seed to the US.
        So far I have not turned one up...but I have been writing to some of
        the good seed companies I trade with from time to time.

        Perhaps you can find a source in Europe, or closer to home and share
        it with the group, too, Berin. Bindweed does indeed seem to be
        everywhere. It has been the topic on nearly all the
        gardening/farming groups I belong to of late.

        Gloria, Texas

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"

      • les landeck
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi, African Marigolds was discussed in Organic Gardening Mag. some 25 years ago as a plant to stop the growth of Bermuda grass by a write in to the editor as in finding success i have used carpet to stop it's encroachment and covered it with burlap extra layers and put it in retreat, the Marigolds may do the same may get a chance to try them soon they have many benefits that we need to explore. as to other problems carpet works but will require repeated placings until all the seed of a given plant is depleted.

          Moving along, Les

          berinerturk <berinerturk@...> wrote: Hello all,

          wrote:
> [...]
          > >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as
          a friend".
          > >()
          > >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as
          they are. For
          > >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up"
          here. It shows
          > >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
          against
          > >them and their famous Round Up...
          > >
          > >--------
          > >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to
          the climate
          > >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
          remembered
          > >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
          attentive look.
          > >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)

          Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic farming

        • Faith Arnold
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
            Les wrote:

            Good Morning All,

            Bind weed as i know it is wild morning glory there are about four other plants that creat the same challanges. The wild Morning Glory is a soil indcator and works as a sub soiler breaking through hard pans. I find it only were it needs to be and controll by not letting it set seed. Seeing it as a friend may help a bit.

            Les

            Ps the roots go down over 10 feet

            Hi Les,

            I don't think there is hardpan, per se, in either location where I have the stuff growing, but I like your philosophy regarding it... very "Fukuoka". However, if I get frustrated enough, I may try Irene's suggestion about training it up a stake to isolate it for special treatment.

            Faith