Re: [fukuoka_farming] Field bindweed

  • BT Benjaminson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
      About ducks and slugs--I strongly recommend ducks. Some breeds (I think
      Muscovies, but probably also many others) tend to be "meat" eaters and
      strongly prefer slugs and pillbugs to any green stuff.
      I am experimenting with a combination of chickens and ducks in and around
      the garden, together with a pony (who is fenced off from most of the
      garden). The pony makes a lovely amount of manure--whch I mix with straw and
      use as mulch, while the ducks and chickens work very hard as a team to eat
      up all the bugs that result, everything from tiny flies to larger flies to
      slugs and pillbugs. The chickens scratch into the mulch and the compost,
      paving the way for the ducks to stick their beaks under the material and
      pull out whatever bugs they find. The ducks even sit around with their
      mouths open during the hot afternoons and then suddenly, snap! will close on
      some hapless bug that's flown in there. Also the pony serves as an effective
      protector against predators that might have an eye on the poultry during the
      day and even during the night. I house them close to one another. In fact, I
      converted one of the pony's stall windows to a chicken roost. The hens sleep
      there and put their tails toward the inside, where they drop their droppings
      on the pony's bedding, which then get cleaned up as the stall is cleaned and
      adding a nice bit of extra nitrogen to the carbon-heavy bedding/manure mix.
      Bat-Tzion Benjaminson

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
        Hello All,

        I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
        Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello to the whom
        I know better.

        Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to think like Les
        that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for our patience
        (or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as a friend".
        ()
        We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as they are. For
        exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up" here. It shows
        how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias against
        them and their famous Round Up...

        --------
        On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to the climate
        now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend remembered
        that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an attentive look.
        (For now I cannot really walk freely there)

        Best wishes to all of you
        Beatrice
        Udim, Israel
      • Urban Wild
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
          Hello,

          I haven't planted this, but found out about it this year. Will try it
          next spring.

          //Tagetes minuta//
          http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Tagetes+minuta&CAN=LATIND

          Muster-John-Henry

          This plant is widely used in companion planting schemes[238]. Secretions
          from the roots of growing plants have an insecticidal effect on the
          soil, effective against nematodes and to some extent against keeled
          slugs. These secretions are produced about 3 - 4 months after
          sowing[200]. These root secretions also have a herbicidal effect,
          inhibiting the growth of certain plants growing nearby. It has been
          found effective against perennial weeds such as Ranunculus ficaria
          (Celandine), Aegopodium podagraria Ground elder), Glechoma hederacea
          (Ground ivy), Agropyron repens (Couch grass) and Convolvulus arvensis
          (Field bindweed)[200, 238].

          Available at Richter's www.richters.com, but /Due to USDA regulations,
          this item can not be shipped to California./

          Best wishes,

          Al

          --
          My Urban Garden projects
          http://urbanwild.diary-x.com

          Beatrice Gilboa wrote:

          >Hello All,
          >
          >I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
          >Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello to the whom
          >I know better.
          >
          >Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to think like Les
          >that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for our patience
          >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as a friend".
          >()
          >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as they are. For
          >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up" here. It shows
          >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias against
          >them and their famous Round Up...
          >
          >--------
          >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to the climate
          >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend remembered
          >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an attentive look.
          >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)
          >
          >Best wishes to all of you
          >Beatrice
          >Udim, Israel
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gloria C. Baikauskas
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
            Beatrice.....I am very glad to see you back with us. I am sad to
            hear you are having some health problems. I pray they will be
            resolved soon, and that you will be able to spend more time in your
            garden.

            Gloria, Texas

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Beatrice Gilboa"
            <b.gilboa@w...> wrote:
            > Hello All,
            >
            > I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
            > Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello to
            the whom
            > I know better.
            >
            > Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to think
            like Les
            > that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for our
            patience
            > (or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as a
            friend".
            > ()
            > We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as they
            are. For
            > exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up" here.
            It shows
            > how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
            against
            > them and their famous Round Up...
            >
            > --------
            > On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to the
            climate
            > now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
            remembered
            > that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
            attentive look.
            > (For now I cannot really walk freely there)
            >
            > Best wishes to all of you
            > Beatrice
            > Udim, Israel
          • Gloria C. Baikauskas
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
              This is very good news indeed! This same topic...bindweed...has been
              going on the gardeningorganically list group I own. I am going to
              post about this plant to it.

              Thank you very much!

              Gloria, Texas

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Urban Wild <urbanwild@g...>

            • berinerturk
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                Hello all,
                welcome back Beatrice, wish you health,
                thanks Les and Gloria for reminding where we stand.
                All these discussions in this group on how to use Round up disturbed
                me deeply. It may be because of a "bias" against Monsanto, even so,
                I don't intend to change my opinion.
                I had tried vinegar for some weeds (not bindweed) without success
                but with the detailed information Gloria gives I am ready to try
                again. Thanks Gloria.
                Bindweed seems to be everywhere! I keep digging it up in my garden
                here in Turkey. Lets hope "tagetes minuta" will be available as
                well. Will simple marigold be of any help?
                Berin Erturk

                wrote:
> [...]
                > >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as
                a friend".
                > >()
                > >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as
                they are. For
                > >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up"
                here. It shows
                > >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
                against
                > >them and their famous Round Up...
                > >
                > >--------
                > >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to
                the climate
                > >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
                remembered
                > >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
                attentive look.
                > >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)

              • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Although it is native to South America, tagetes minuta has apparently
                  been spread about the world for various reasons. I am trying to find
                  a seed source for it in the US because when I last ordered from
                  Richter's they said they would no longer be shipping seed to the US.
                  So far I have not turned one up...but I have been writing to some of
                  the good seed companies I trade with from time to time.

                  Perhaps you can find a source in Europe, or closer to home and share
                  it with the group, too, Berin. Bindweed does indeed seem to be
                  everywhere. It has been the topic on nearly all the
                  gardening/farming groups I belong to of late.

                  Gloria, Texas

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"

                • les landeck
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Hi, African Marigolds was discussed in Organic Gardening Mag. some 25 years ago as a plant to stop the growth of Bermuda grass by a write in to the editor as in finding success i have used carpet to stop it's encroachment and covered it with burlap extra layers and put it in retreat, the Marigolds may do the same may get a chance to try them soon they have many benefits that we need to explore. as to other problems carpet works but will require repeated placings until all the seed of a given plant is depleted.

                    Moving along, Les

                    berinerturk <berinerturk@...> wrote: Hello all,

                    wrote:
> [...]
                    > >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as
                    a friend".
                    > >()
                    > >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as
                    they are. For
                    > >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up"
                    here. It shows
                    > >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
                    against
                    > >them and their famous Round Up...
                    > >
                    > >--------
                    > >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to
                    the climate
                    > >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
                    remembered
                    > >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
                    attentive look.
                    > >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)

                    Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic farming

                  • Faith Arnold
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Les wrote:

                      Good Morning All,

                      Bind weed as i know it is wild morning glory there are about four other plants that creat the same challanges. The wild Morning Glory is a soil indcator and works as a sub soiler breaking through hard pans. I find it only were it needs to be and controll by not letting it set seed. Seeing it as a friend may help a bit.

                      Les

                      Ps the roots go down over 10 feet

                      Hi Les,

                      I don't think there is hardpan, per se, in either location where I have the stuff growing, but I like your philosophy regarding it... very "Fukuoka". However, if I get frustrated enough, I may try Irene's suggestion about training it up a stake to isolate it for special treatment.

                      Faith