[fukuoka_farming] Field bindweed

  • Faith Arnold
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 29, 2005
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm new to this list.

      I saw the posting from Irene about the field bindweed. I've been fighting that stuff for quite a while now, and I can tell you what does NOT work... digging it out in any form. I discovered that the roots will sprout back up to the surface even if you remove them down to a depth of more than a foot, and any tiny piece that gets left behind (even as short as an inch long, if the diameter is about an eighth of an inch or more) will send up a sprout to the surface! This stuff is the most tenacious thing I have ever encountered! I am about to resort to spot spraying with Roundup, since I have been letting it regrow for the past several months. (I also learned that if you hack down the tops and then only allow them to only partially regrow before spraying, it doesn't kill them... it takes a major amount of leaf surface to absorb enough poison into the tissue to kill these things.)

      If anyone has a better, more wholistic way to kill this stuff, I would be very interested in learning about it. Will goats make a dent in it?

      Has anyone had experience with ducks for eating slugs and/or pillbugs?

      Thanks!

      Faith Arnold

    • irene@trilliumwoods.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
        Faith Arnold wrote:

        > I saw the posting from Irene about the field bindweed. I've been
        > fighting that stuff for quite a while now, and I can tell you what
        > does NOT work... digging it out in any form. I discovered that the
        > roots will sprout back up to the surface even if you remove them down
        > to a depth of more than a foot, and any tiny piece that gets left
        > behind (even as short as an inch long, if the diameter is about an
        > eighth of an inch or more) will send up a sprout to the surface! This
        > stuff is the most tenacious thing I have ever encountered! I am about
        > to resort to spot spraying with Roundup, since I have been letting it
        > regrow for the past several months. (I also learned that if you hack
        > down the tops and then only allow them to only partially regrow before
        > spraying, it doesn't kill them... it takes a major amount of leaf
        > surface to absorb enough poison into the tissue to kill these things.)

        Faith, I read on another gardening list that a way to attack bindweed
        (don't know if total eradication is possible -- I sure hope so!) is to
        train emerging plants up a stick in order to localise them and once
        there is sufficient leaf surface, gather/cover the plant with a plastic
        bag and and spray Roundup into the bag. Then fasten the bag around the
        stick with a twist tie and leave it to sit and do whatever it does. The
        bag concentrates the weedkiller, keeps it from drifting, and makes it
        easy to see so you can check on it from time to time.

        I don't know how fast bindweed regrows as this is my first encounter
        with it. I have already dug deeply trying to get all of the roots out
        of several plants, but, as you point out, the roots seem to go on
        forever, and little bits keep breaking off in order to regenerate. It's
        a terrific strategy if you're a weed who wants to outlast both gardens
        and gardeners, you have to give it that. I wonder if it has any natural
        predators...

        irene in rural western wa, usa
      • alice@am464.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
          Hi all

          The bindweed I see only thrives in compacted soil, so if the soil
          is not stood on when wet we don't get much. Not sure if it is the
          same type.

          Alice

          Quoting Faith Arnold <lvfrts@...>:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > I'm new to this list.
          >
          > I saw the posting from Irene about the field bindweed.
        • Connie Kuramoto
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
            Ours grows in every kind of soil. Gravel, loose organic soil, compacted soil, everything.
            Connie Kuramoto
            Nanaimo BC

            The bindweed I see only thrives in compacted soil, so if the soil
            is not stood on when wet we don't get much. Not sure if it is the
            same type.

            Alice

            Quoting Faith Arnold <lvfrts@...>:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I'm new to this list.
            >
            > I saw the posting from Irene about the field bindweed.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • les landeck
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
              Good Morning All,

              Bind weed as i know it is wild morning glory there are about four other plants that creat the same challanges. The wild Morning Glory is a soil indcator and works as a sub soiler breaking through hard pans. I find it only were it needs to be and controll by not letting it set seed. Seeing it as a friend may help a bit.

              Les

              Connie Kuramoto <kuramoto@...> wrote:
              Ours grows in every kind of soil. Gravel, loose organic soil, compacted soil, everything.
              Connie Kuramoto
              Nanaimo BC

              The bindweed I see only thrives in compacted soil, so if the soil
              is not stood on when wet we don't get much. Not sure if it is the
              same type.

              Alice

              Quoting Faith Arnold <lvfrts@...>:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I'm new to this list.
              >
              > I saw the posting from Irene about the field bindweed.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Organic gardening Organic gardening magazine Organic gardening pest control Organic gardening supply Organic vegetable gardening Organic farming

            • les landeck
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
                Good Morning All,

                Bind weed as i know it is wild morning glory there are about four other plants that creat the same challanges. The wild Morning Glory is a soil indcator and works as a sub soiler breaking through hard pans. I find it only were it needs to be and controll by not letting it set seed. Seeing it as a friend may help a bit.

                Les

                Ps the roots go down over 10 feet

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
                  I suspect that the bindweed in WA is the same rascal as grows in BC. I
                  found it growing in a raised mounded, never walked upon, having sneaked
                  in last year while I was sheet composting the area. From time to time I
                  have found a small plant, growing on its own short roots. I suspect
                  birds bring the seeds with them. I'd prefer they bring wildflowers!

                  irene

                  > Ours grows in every kind of soil.  Gravel, loose organic soil,
                  > compacted soil, everything.
                  > Connie Kuramoto
                  > Nanaimo BC

                • BT Benjaminson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 30, 2005
                    About ducks and slugs--I strongly recommend ducks. Some breeds (I think
                    Muscovies, but probably also many others) tend to be "meat" eaters and
                    strongly prefer slugs and pillbugs to any green stuff.
                    I am experimenting with a combination of chickens and ducks in and around
                    the garden, together with a pony (who is fenced off from most of the
                    garden). The pony makes a lovely amount of manure--whch I mix with straw and
                    use as mulch, while the ducks and chickens work very hard as a team to eat
                    up all the bugs that result, everything from tiny flies to larger flies to
                    slugs and pillbugs. The chickens scratch into the mulch and the compost,
                    paving the way for the ducks to stick their beaks under the material and
                    pull out whatever bugs they find. The ducks even sit around with their
                    mouths open during the hot afternoons and then suddenly, snap! will close on
                    some hapless bug that's flown in there. Also the pony serves as an effective
                    protector against predators that might have an eye on the poultry during the
                    day and even during the night. I house them close to one another. In fact, I
                    converted one of the pony's stall windows to a chicken roost. The hens sleep
                    there and put their tails toward the inside, where they drop their droppings
                    on the pony's bedding, which then get cleaned up as the stall is cleaned and
                    adding a nice bit of extra nitrogen to the carbon-heavy bedding/manure mix.
                    Bat-Tzion Benjaminson

                    > I saw the posting from Irene about the field bindweed. I've been fighting
                    > that stuff for quite a while now, and I can tell you what does NOT work...
                    > digging it out in any form. I discovered that the roots will sprout back
                    > up to the surface even if you remove them down to a depth of more than a
                    > foot, and any tiny piece that gets left behind (even as short as an inch
                    > long, if the diameter is about an eighth of an inch or more) will send up
                    > a sprout to the surface! This stuff is the most tenacious thing I have
                    > ever encountered! I am about to resort to spot spraying with Roundup,
                    > since I have been letting it regrow for the past several months. (I also
                    > learned that if you hack down the tops and then only allow them to only
                    > partially regrow before spraying, it doesn't kill them... it takes a major
                    > amount of leaf surface to absorb enough poison into the tissue to kill
                    > these things.)
                    >
                    > If anyone has a better, more wholistic way to kill this stuff, I would be
                    > very interested in learning about it. Will goats make a dent in it?
                    >
                    > Has anyone had experience with ducks for eating slugs and/or pillbugs?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Faith Arnold

                  • Beatrice Gilboa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
                      Hello All,

                      I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
                      Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello to the whom
                      I know better.

                      Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to think like Les
                      that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for our patience
                      (or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as a friend".
                      ()
                      We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as they are. For
                      exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up" here. It shows
                      how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias against
                      them and their famous Round Up...

                      --------
                      On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to the climate
                      now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend remembered
                      that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an attentive look.
                      (For now I cannot really walk freely there)

                      Best wishes to all of you
                      Beatrice
                      Udim, Israel
                    • Urban Wild
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
                        Hello,

                        I haven't planted this, but found out about it this year. Will try it
                        next spring.

                        //Tagetes minuta//
                        http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Tagetes+minuta&CAN=LATIND

                        Muster-John-Henry

                        This plant is widely used in companion planting schemes[238]. Secretions
                        from the roots of growing plants have an insecticidal effect on the
                        soil, effective against nematodes and to some extent against keeled
                        slugs. These secretions are produced about 3 - 4 months after
                        sowing[200]. These root secretions also have a herbicidal effect,
                        inhibiting the growth of certain plants growing nearby. It has been
                        found effective against perennial weeds such as Ranunculus ficaria
                        (Celandine), Aegopodium podagraria Ground elder), Glechoma hederacea
                        (Ground ivy), Agropyron repens (Couch grass) and Convolvulus arvensis
                        (Field bindweed)[200, 238].

                        Available at Richter's www.richters.com, but /Due to USDA regulations,
                        this item can not be shipped to California./

                        Best wishes,

                        Al

                        --
                        My Urban Garden projects
                        http://urbanwild.diary-x.com

                        Beatrice Gilboa wrote:

                        >Hello All,
                        >
                        >I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
                        >Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello to the whom
                        >I know better.
                        >
                        >Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to think like Les
                        >that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for our patience
                        >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as a friend".
                        >()
                        >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as they are. For
                        >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up" here. It shows
                        >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias against
                        >them and their famous Round Up...
                        >
                        >--------
                        >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to the climate
                        >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend remembered
                        >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an attentive look.
                        >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)
                        >
                        >Best wishes to all of you
                        >Beatrice
                        >Udim, Israel
                        >

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
                          Beatrice.....I am very glad to see you back with us. I am sad to
                          hear you are having some health problems. I pray they will be
                          resolved soon, and that you will be able to spend more time in your
                          garden.

                          Gloria, Texas

                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Beatrice Gilboa"
                          <b.gilboa@w...> wrote:
                          > Hello All,
                          >
                          > I'm back after almost 5 months of absence. (health problems)
                          > Nice to read you again. Welcome to the new comers and warm hello to
                          the whom
                          > I know better.
                          >
                          > Have red only your last post about binweed... I'm incline to think
                          like Les
                          > that it is a real big CHALLENGE but probably a growing one for our
                          patience
                          > (or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as a
                          friend".
                          > ()
                          > We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as they
                          are. For
                          > exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up" here.
                          It shows
                          > how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
                          against
                          > them and their famous Round Up...
                          >
                          > --------
                          > On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to the
                          climate
                          > now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
                          remembered
                          > that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
                          attentive look.
                          > (For now I cannot really walk freely there)
                          >
                          > Best wishes to all of you
                          > Beatrice
                          > Udim, Israel
                        • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 2005
                            This is very good news indeed! This same topic...bindweed...has been
                            going on the gardeningorganically list group I own. I am going to
                            post about this plant to it.

                            Thank you very much!

                            Gloria, Texas

                            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Urban Wild <urbanwild@g...>

                          • berinerturk
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                              Hello all,
                              welcome back Beatrice, wish you health,
                              thanks Les and Gloria for reminding where we stand.
                              All these discussions in this group on how to use Round up disturbed
                              me deeply. It may be because of a "bias" against Monsanto, even so,
                              I don't intend to change my opinion.
                              I had tried vinegar for some weeds (not bindweed) without success
                              but with the detailed information Gloria gives I am ready to try
                              again. Thanks Gloria.
                              Bindweed seems to be everywhere! I keep digging it up in my garden
                              here in Turkey. Lets hope "tagetes minuta" will be available as
                              well. Will simple marigold be of any help?
                              Berin Erturk

                              wrote:
> [...]
                              > >(or ourself generaly speaking) "to see the wild Morning Glory as
                              a friend".
                              > >()
                              > >We cannot escape to give time to the time to accept things as
                              they are. For
                              > >exemple I react immediately when I red the use of "round up"
                              here. It shows
                              > >how pub of Monsanto works very well or how I have myself a bias
                              against
                              > >them and their famous Round Up...
                              > >
                              > >--------
                              > >On my little garden I can really see what is really adapted to
                              the climate
                              > >now after so long without watering (except when distracted friend
                              remembered
                              > >that I was far away). I'll tell you later, when I'll have an
                              attentive look.
                              > >(For now I cannot really walk freely there)

                            • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                                Although it is native to South America, tagetes minuta has apparently
                                been spread about the world for various reasons. I am trying to find
                                a seed source for it in the US because when I last ordered from
                                Richter's they said they would no longer be shipping seed to the US.
                                So far I have not turned one up...but I have been writing to some of
                                the good seed companies I trade with from time to time.

                                Perhaps you can find a source in Europe, or closer to home and share
                                it with the group, too, Berin. Bindweed does indeed seem to be
                                everywhere. It has been the topic on nearly all the
                                gardening/farming groups I belong to of late.

                                Gloria, Texas

                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "berinerturk"

                              • les landeck
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                                  Hi, African Marigolds was discussed in Organic Gardening Mag. some 25 years ago as a plant to stop the growth of Bermuda grass by a write in to the editor as in finding success i have used carpet to stop it's encroachment and covered it with burlap extra layers and put it in retreat, the Marigolds may do the same may get a chance to try them soon they have many benefits that we need to explore. as to other problems carpet works but will require repeated placings until all the seed of a given plant is depleted.

                                  Moving along, Les

                                  berinerturk <berinerturk@...> wrote: Hello all,

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
                                    Les wrote:

                                    Good Morning All,

                                    Bind weed as i know it is wild morning glory there are about four other plants that creat the same challanges. The wild Morning Glory is a soil indcator and works as a sub soiler breaking through hard pans. I find it only were it needs to be and controll by not letting it set seed. Seeing it as a friend may help a bit.

                                    Les

                                    Ps the roots go down over 10 feet

                                    Hi Les,

                                    I don't think there is hardpan, per se, in either location where I have the stuff growing, but I like your philosophy regarding it... very "Fukuoka". However, if I get frustrated enough, I may try Irene's suggestion about training it up a stake to isolate it for special treatment.

                                    Faith