Re: curious

  • Forest Shomer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2005
      At 10:58 AM +0000 7/25/05, fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >Even in this group there are those who try to achieve Natural
      >Farming/Gardening using methods of other gardening/farming gurus...and
      >say they are using Fukuoka's methodology.

      This seems to be saying that there is a one-and-only way to work with
      the Fukuoka method. In truth, the usefulness of this method is not
      that one perfectly imitates what one practitioner's experience taught
      him, in his time and locale, but that one integrates and adapts the
      teaching to one's own situation in life.

      For example, the exponential and continuing spread of noxious weeds
      through most arable lands in the past two decades makes it vastly
      more difficult to simply allow the natural process of plants
      reseeding themselves to proceed without making interventions, i.e.,
      "weeding." The 240 or so genera that have proven most successful at
      spreading themselves around the planet will inevitably outgrow and
      out-reproduce even the best-adapted and naturalized cultivars. This
      undermines what worked more easily in Fukuoka's era, so we have to
      take his method and apply it with modifications. Sometimes it proves
      best to integrate Fukuoka's method with other methods, for example,
      permaculture (which is a diverse, not a monolithic teaching); this is
      adaptive intelligence.

      When Fukuoka visited my gardens in 1986, he commented, "This is 80%
      of what I do." I took it as very positive that we had so much common
      ground, yet had learned non-identical methods in our differing
      situations. We can learn from each other.

      In the end, the best teacher is one's own experience. By sharing what
      we learn among our peers, everyone benefits, and "a thousand flowers
      bloom" in related yet non-identical ways.

      I acknowledge that a purist might insist that no one claim to be
      Fukuoka-ist if they are using an integrative approach. But every
      community including this (virtual) one has its both orthodox and
      innovative members, so no doubt some of us will continue to
      acknowledge Fukuoka as our teacher and inspiration while not aspiring
      to be just like him.

      Truly,

      Forest

      "Tradition is to take something from the past,
      do the best we can with it in the present,
      and make an offering of our work to the future."
      --Ross Daly

      --
      Inside Passage Seeds and Native Plant Services
      Forest Shomer, owner

    • Shane Morkin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2005
        Dear Fukuoka group,

        I have found and purchased a documentary of Mr Fukuoka¹s farming methods in
        English. It¹s called ³The Close to Nature Garden,² and was published by
        Rodale Press in 1982. Bullfrog Films in Oley, PA
        (http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/cng.html) is selling the video for
        49.00$ This seems like an expensive price to me, but evidently hard to
        find/ out of production works generally cost this much. I believe they are
        only willing to ship the video to a USA address.

        I just finished watching the video, it¹s short, only 24 minutes long. It
        would have been nice to see more of Mr Fukuoka¹s land in greater detail, but
        considering how hard it is to find any images of his farm I am happy to have
        the video. My search for a Japanese documentary still continues, and I have
        yet to find an efficient method for getting the Japanese title from Mr
        Pachaua. Next month I plan to call some Japanese organic schools directly.
        If I eventually find a source for purchasing a Japanese documentary I will
        send this information to the group as well.

        Best Wishes,
        Shane Morkin

      • BT Benjaminson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2005
          If the script of the Japanese video is available I could translate it into
          English for you, but I would have to charge commercial rates, as I am a
          professional Japanese to English translator and that is what is supporting
          the development of my farm.
          Bat-Tzion Benjaminson

          > I have found and purchased a documentary of Mr Fukuoka¹s farming methods
          > in
          > English. It¹s called ³The Close to Nature Garden,² and was published by
          > Rodale Press in 1982. Bullfrog Films in Oley, PA
          > (http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/cng.html) is selling the video for
          > 49.00$ This seems like an expensive price to me, but evidently hard to
          > find/ out of production works generally cost this much. I believe they
          > are
          > only willing to ship the video to a USA address.
          >
          > I just finished watching the video, it¹s short, only 24 minutes long. It
          > would have been nice to see more of Mr Fukuoka¹s land in greater detail,
          > but
          > considering how hard it is to find any images of his farm I am happy to
          > have
          > the video. My search for a Japanese documentary still continues, and I
          > have
          > yet to find an efficient method for getting the Japanese title from Mr
          > Pachaua. Next month I plan to call some Japanese organic schools
          > directly.
          > If I eventually find a source for purchasing a Japanese documentary I will
          > send this information to the group as well.
          >
          > Best Wishes,
          > Shane Morkin

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2014
            Hi,

            This looks to be a new video, published in 2014..It is a series of 3 videos, all in Japanese..not able to understand ..

            Is it possible for an audio translation from Japanese to English?

            Regards,
            Nandan