Vining forage crops for horse?

  • BT Benjaminson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      Fellow farmers,
      Has anyone successfully experimented with vining forage crops that are
      palatable to horses? Our large pony is now sharing our land with my garden
      because my children need therapeutic riding. Of course the manure compost
      comes in handy.
      But since I have a small amount of land I wonder about animal forage systems
      that are planned in 3 dimensions. Ideally my little pasture should be lined
      with forage trees and shrubs, but until then, can anyone suggest
      fast-growing vining plants that can be trellissed on my pasture fence? Has
      anyone tried pole beans for this? I am looking for something that has
      palatable leaves and fruits/. Please give the latin name if possible.
      We live in a mediterranean climate here in Israel--it does not rain in the
      summer or freeze in the winter. During the summer I can irrigate through
      mulch if necessary.
      Thanks in advance
      Bat-Tzion Benjaminson