Re: [fukuoka_farming] girdling trees

  • Jerry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29 9:48 AM
      Jean-Claude, some species of trees actually carry water up in porous fiber.
      Elm, are like this, so are small leaf Lindens. Ringing a tree starts a
      process whereby the tree starves to death. Some may take 2 growing seasons
      others 2 months. Be patient. I had a hugh Birch that overshadowed 5 red oaks
      that were 10" diameter and 50 ft. tall. We ringed the Birch and it took 2
      years before it stopped growing. The oaks then were allowed to grow upward
      through the Birch's dead limbs. This allowed the Birch to continue housing
      squirrels, birds or racoons in the hollows for about 10 years. It fell in a
      rain storm. A lot of people here ring trees to use them for fire wood. They
      are left standing and dry out taking up a small space for storage until they
      are cut down for fire wood. Try the 2 ring method and let me know the
      results. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio.