Re: [fukuoka_farming] girdling trees

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29 1:57 AM
      > Jean-Claude, try using 2 rings about 12 inches apart. make each ring 1
      > inch
      > thick and cut to the inner bark. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio

      thank you for the advice i made one ring more than one inch thick and
      removed all the bark to the wood . do you have an explanation how the tree
      can still produce leaves after this treatment ?
    • Jerry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29 9:48 AM
        Jean-Claude, some species of trees actually carry water up in porous fiber.
        Elm, are like this, so are small leaf Lindens. Ringing a tree starts a
        process whereby the tree starves to death. Some may take 2 growing seasons
        others 2 months. Be patient. I had a hugh Birch that overshadowed 5 red oaks
        that were 10" diameter and 50 ft. tall. We ringed the Birch and it took 2
        years before it stopped growing. The oaks then were allowed to grow upward
        through the Birch's dead limbs. This allowed the Birch to continue housing
        squirrels, birds or racoons in the hollows for about 10 years. It fell in a
        rain storm. A lot of people here ring trees to use them for fire wood. They
        are left standing and dry out taking up a small space for storage until they
        are cut down for fire wood. Try the 2 ring method and let me know the
        results. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio.