Re: [fukuoka_farming] girdling trees

  • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2005
      I am puzzled , i have been girdling ( not sure of the right word, removing a
      ring of bark around the tree )alders some for more than a year and they
      survive putting leaves in the spring . could somebody lighten my candle (
      eclairer ma lanterne ) about how they do that i verified many trees that
      there is no cambium left at all . they don't thrive but still keep going .
      thanks
      jean-claude
    • Jerry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2005
        Jean-Claude, try using 2 rings about 12 inches apart. make each ring 1 inch
        thick and cut to the inner bark. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio

        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2005
          > Jean-Claude, try using 2 rings about 12 inches apart. make each ring 1
          > inch
          > thick and cut to the inner bark. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio

          thank you for the advice i made one ring more than one inch thick and
          removed all the bark to the wood . do you have an explanation how the tree
          can still produce leaves after this treatment ?
        • Jerry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2005
            Jean-Claude, some species of trees actually carry water up in porous fiber.
            Elm, are like this, so are small leaf Lindens. Ringing a tree starts a
            process whereby the tree starves to death. Some may take 2 growing seasons
            others 2 months. Be patient. I had a hugh Birch that overshadowed 5 red oaks
            that were 10" diameter and 50 ft. tall. We ringed the Birch and it took 2
            years before it stopped growing. The oaks then were allowed to grow upward
            through the Birch's dead limbs. This allowed the Birch to continue housing
            squirrels, birds or racoons in the hollows for about 10 years. It fell in a
            rain storm. A lot of people here ring trees to use them for fire wood. They
            are left standing and dry out taking up a small space for storage until they
            are cut down for fire wood. Try the 2 ring method and let me know the
            results. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio.