Re: [fukuoka_farming] can birds be used in Agriculture?

  • Jerry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2005
      Dear Yuva and other members, The bird roosts we use are simply 1"x 1"
      stakes driven into the ground and are about 5ft tall. They have a 1'' x 1''x
      3"long top nailed to it. The birds that nest in the fields use these as
      perches in the day and as roosts in the night. Most field birds (the red
      wing black bird and other birds which nest in the fields) love to be able to
      watch the area from above their ground nests. We love the nitrogen deposits
      they leave. What attracts the hawks and owls to our farm is the way we farm.
      We do natural farming, some Steiner type field sprays, some organic composts
      we buy, all without chemical content. Its really simple. The animals know
      where to go for clean field grasses to eat and clean grains and clean
      insects to feed their young. When I mow hay the swallows fly over my tractor
      and the mice scurry about in the stubble. The hawk flies over the swallows
      and catches mice and gardner snakes while the swallows catch the bugs. The
      owls come in the same fields at night and catch more mice. The hawks do eat
      rabbits and other birds. Such is nature. When you let nature alone and try
      to live with it as best you can there is no need to plan. The plan is
      already in effect. I hope this helps you. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio,