Re: [fukuoka_farming] can birds be used in Agriculture?

  • Michael Worham
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2005
      Hi Jerry,

      Can you also tell me if your roost method has also
      introduced trees via seed in the birds droppings? If
      so, has this been successful where roosts are placed
      in grassland?

      Many thanks,
      Michael

      > Jerry Hamilton <DH69JH@...> wrote:
      > Yuva, I am a part time farmer in Ohio, USA and use
      > birds for my garden. I
      > build roosts in the garden for the birds to sit on
      > and there by using their
      > droppings to add nitrogen to different areas. I
      > change the small roosts from
      > time to time to spread the nitrogen. We have used
      > this method for several
      > years.
      > We also encourage hawks and owls to visit the
      > fields. A lot of nitrogen is
      > deposited over a year by the garden birds.
      > Take care, Jerry in Atwater, Ohio

    • Jerry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2005
        Dear Yuva and other members, The bird roosts we use are simply 1"x 1"
        stakes driven into the ground and are about 5ft tall. They have a 1'' x 1''x
        3"long top nailed to it. The birds that nest in the fields use these as
        perches in the day and as roosts in the night. Most field birds (the red
        wing black bird and other birds which nest in the fields) love to be able to
        watch the area from above their ground nests. We love the nitrogen deposits
        they leave. What attracts the hawks and owls to our farm is the way we farm.
        We do natural farming, some Steiner type field sprays, some organic composts
        we buy, all without chemical content. Its really simple. The animals know
        where to go for clean field grasses to eat and clean grains and clean
        insects to feed their young. When I mow hay the swallows fly over my tractor
        and the mice scurry about in the stubble. The hawk flies over the swallows
        and catches mice and gardner snakes while the swallows catch the bugs. The
        owls come in the same fields at night and catch more mice. The hawks do eat
        rabbits and other birds. Such is nature. When you let nature alone and try
        to live with it as best you can there is no need to plan. The plan is
        already in effect. I hope this helps you. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio,

        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2005
          I asked my wife about the trees being introduced to the grasslands from bird
          droppings. She said most definately the birds cause trees to sprout. I
          suppose they eat some fruit with seeds too. We watch the grackle fly into
          our farm on their migrations.( a rather big black bird) They actually eat
          the small acorns from the Pen Oak trees on our hedge rows. These seeds are
          about 3/8ths in diameter and very hard but they eat hundreds ad then fly off
          to drop them.(hopefully on Cleveland). One thing I did notice is the many
          black berry bushes transplanted by birds and many elderberry bushes
          scattered through out the farm. I suggest you place some roosts of small
          1"x1" by 5ft with a small flat piece of wood on top to sit on all around
          where you want trees and then study the land scape for some changes. I am
          sure something will change around the roosts. I hope this helped you and
          take care. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA