Re: [fukuoka_farming] can birds be used in Agriculture?

  • yuva senthil
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2005
      Can u send some photos of the roosts that u have buided in ur fields. Hoe will u attract hawks and owls.

      Jerry Hamilton <DH69JH@...> wrote:Yuva, I am a part time farmer in Ohio, USA and use birds for my garden. I
      build roosts in the garden for the birds to sit on and there by using their
      droppings to add nitrogen to different areas. I change the small roosts from
      time to time to spread the nitrogen. We have used this method for several
      years.
      We also encourage hawks and owls to visit the fields. A lot of nitrogen is
      deposited over a year by the garden birds.
      Take care, Jerry in Atwater, Ohio
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2005
        It's the answer I expected

        we have to share the food given to as

        But in some cases(30% of cases) the damage is serious which we can't bear

        The imbalance in ecosystem cases this when we changing the field to the natural farming

        SANDEEP DHAWAN <san_deep24@...> wrote:
        hi yuva,
        You are working with nature and birds are part of nature. Let the birds be as they are, if possible try to attract all kinds of birds, Give all ur love to nature and see how ur love increases and spreads which is the urgent need of mother earth.

        I request all to read the book "JOURNEY INTO NATURE" by Michael J. Roads.

        BE A LIGHT UNTO YOURSELF
        thankyou,
        Sandeep

        Jerry Hamilton <DH69JH@...> wrote:
        Yuva, I am a part time farmer in Ohio, USA and use birds for my garden. I
        build roosts in the garden for the birds to sit on and there by using their
        droppings to add nitrogen to different areas. I change the small roosts from
        time to time to spread the nitrogen. We have used this method for several
        years.
        We also encourage hawks and owls to visit the fields. A lot of nitrogen is
        deposited over a year by the garden birds.
        Take care, Jerry in Atwater, Ohio
        > Herbivorous and omnivorous birds damage the crops.
        >
        > Only carnivorous birds are useful in pest (insects and rodents) control.
        >
        > How to attract carnivorous birds and how to avoid the former?
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > Yuva senthil
        >

        > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partneronline.

      • Michael Worham
        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2005
          Hi Jerry,

          Can you also tell me if your roost method has also
          introduced trees via seed in the birds droppings? If
          so, has this been successful where roosts are placed
          in grassland?

          Many thanks,
          Michael

          > Jerry Hamilton <DH69JH@...> wrote:
          > Yuva, I am a part time farmer in Ohio, USA and use
          > birds for my garden. I
          > build roosts in the garden for the birds to sit on
          > and there by using their
          > droppings to add nitrogen to different areas. I
          > change the small roosts from
          > time to time to spread the nitrogen. We have used
          > this method for several
          > years.
          > We also encourage hawks and owls to visit the
          > fields. A lot of nitrogen is
          > deposited over a year by the garden birds.
          > Take care, Jerry in Atwater, Ohio

        • Jerry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2005
            Dear Yuva and other members, The bird roosts we use are simply 1"x 1"
            stakes driven into the ground and are about 5ft tall. They have a 1'' x 1''x
            3"long top nailed to it. The birds that nest in the fields use these as
            perches in the day and as roosts in the night. Most field birds (the red
            wing black bird and other birds which nest in the fields) love to be able to
            watch the area from above their ground nests. We love the nitrogen deposits
            they leave. What attracts the hawks and owls to our farm is the way we farm.
            We do natural farming, some Steiner type field sprays, some organic composts
            we buy, all without chemical content. Its really simple. The animals know
            where to go for clean field grasses to eat and clean grains and clean
            insects to feed their young. When I mow hay the swallows fly over my tractor
            and the mice scurry about in the stubble. The hawk flies over the swallows
            and catches mice and gardner snakes while the swallows catch the bugs. The
            owls come in the same fields at night and catch more mice. The hawks do eat
            rabbits and other birds. Such is nature. When you let nature alone and try
            to live with it as best you can there is no need to plan. The plan is
            already in effect. I hope this helps you. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio,

            Message 5 of 8 , May 17, 2005
              I asked my wife about the trees being introduced to the grasslands from bird
              droppings. She said most definately the birds cause trees to sprout. I
              suppose they eat some fruit with seeds too. We watch the grackle fly into
              our farm on their migrations.( a rather big black bird) They actually eat
              the small acorns from the Pen Oak trees on our hedge rows. These seeds are
              about 3/8ths in diameter and very hard but they eat hundreds ad then fly off
              to drop them.(hopefully on Cleveland). One thing I did notice is the many
              black berry bushes transplanted by birds and many elderberry bushes
              scattered through out the farm. I suggest you place some roosts of small
              1"x1" by 5ft with a small flat piece of wood on top to sit on all around
              where you want trees and then study the land scape for some changes. I am
              sure something will change around the roosts. I hope this helped you and
              take care. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA