Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 905

  • Thomas Younger
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12 8:35 AM
      Hi Carla,
      I think you have discovered something. Based on my
      understanding of Fukuoka, he wanted us to experience
      what an orchard would produce if a variety of seeds
      were dispersed together. Taking a liberal view of a
      "volunteer plant" any plant that thrives in a certain
      environment would be a volunteer. I found out that
      the sow thistle that is growing in the pasture I am
      transforming into a sustaining orchard is edible.
      Lawrence is also correct in that conventional farmers
      would say that corn seed from last year that comes up
      in this years soy bean crop is a volunteer and is not
      welcome. Cheers Tom

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/8HGP.B/5WnJAA/a8ILAA/bAOolB/TM

      > There are 6 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. intro
      > From: "Carla OHarris"
      > <beowulfrebel@...>
      > 2. Re: intro
      > From: "William Stocker"
      > <stoc85@...>
      > 3. Re: [Spam] intro
      > From: "Laurence Hutchinson"
      > <lh@...>
      > 4. I really want to see some of fukuokas
      > principles in action
      > From: Andrew Steiner
      > <walkabout27dude@...>
      > 5. Re: [Spam] intro
      > From: "Ralph Smith"
      > <r.smith.2004@...>
      > 6. Re: [Spam] intro
      > From: "Ralph Smith"
      > <r.smith.2004@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:28:39 -0000
      > From: "Carla OHarris" <beowulfrebel@...>
      > Subject: intro
      >

      > Hello,
      >

      > My name is Carla O'Harris and I am interested in
      > Fukuoka's "taoist
      > farming" techniques of working with nature
      > permaculturally so it is
      > very little work.
      >
      > I am an expert in the field of Norse Mythology, and
      > am also a student
      > of medieval heresies. The study of paradise
      > narratives and their
      > influence in history (including revolutionary
      > narratives) is also
      > very interesting to me.
      >
      > I just discovered a new word : "volunteer crop".
      > What a fantastic
      > word! A crop that wants to grow itself!! Isn't this
      > in essence the
      > idea behind Fukuoka's farming?
      >

      > Carla O'Harris

      > Message: 2