alternatives of burn woods to open new farms

  • Zack Domike
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2005
      Hi Listers,

      I need to beg for your permission to use this list to
      promote composting. It seems that Fukuoka prefers a
      sheet compost technique, mulching over the existing
      plants, and relying on that built-up compost to feed
      the soil.

      To really open up a new farm, I would suggest that a
      quicker solution might be favorable. A typical forest
      has lots of fallen trees. These take years to rot,
      but once completely digested, are excellent soil.

      My suggestion is to accelerate the process
      (Non-Fukuokan idea) using Compost Heaps. I am working
      in a young forest (renoval) - cutting the sapling
      trees under the best nut trees to fill and level the
      ground in a diameter of the crown of the tree. Then I
      plan to cover the soil with junk cardboard, cleaned of
      tape, in a space about the size of the fall-line of
      the nuts.

      The cardboard, if well interlaced, prevents the weeks
      from coming back strong. On top, I have oat seeds
      covered with fresh humus from the compost heap. This
      will be cut for the goats in the spring.

      The compost heap I am using now is a sleeve (manga)
      of polyethylene, 2 M opening up to 4 M. This stands up
      about one meter tall, braced with the materials that
      are pushing against the "walls." I use more cardboard
      on the inside face - so a cubic meter compost can be
      put in place, close to the area of final use, at the
      cost of 4 sq meters of plastic tube.

      Mofe info if you need it!
      Zachary
      Diego asks:

      > Do you know some alternative ways to avoid burn
      > woods and bushes as a traditional way to open new
      > farms in tropical woods?

      Make Yahoo! your home page
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs