Re: altenatives of burn woods to open new farms???

  • ligerodeequipaje
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2005
      Hola Diego

      Curiously, I was reading "Living by Zen" of master D.T. Suzuki when I
      received your message.

      My answer to your question would be:

      I would try to find a way to grow crops in the wood. If it is not
      possible I would adapt myself to the wood and to whatever can be
      produced in there. I would never burn the wood.

      Gashó

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Diego Villegas Kau
      <diegozen2002@y...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > It´s so hard leaving "comfortable" way of life. The house, the work,
      etc. But when one could not breath, sleep, eat in peace; since knowing
      It isn´t the right way; then you must make decisions: Say good bye to
      the city, the office and western development.

      > Sorry, ´cause maybe this mail is a little no technical matters. And
      sorry again ´cause my poor english.

      > My ask is:
      >
      > Do you know some alternative ways to avoid burn woods and bushes as
      a traditional way to open new farms in tropical woods?

      > Diego Villegas
      >

      > PD: By the moment I have to choices to get some land:
      >
      > 1.- 70 ha with forest, but far away of town
      >
      > 2.- 30 ha closer to a little town. With 08 ha among manihot,
      bananas, coconut and others; and 22 ha of forest

      > Sergio Montinola <sjmosprey2001@y...> escribió: I am willing to help
      you. I am from the Philippines
      > also a tropical country.
      >
      > What do you need and I will try to answer your
      > questions in the development of Permaculture.
      >
      > There are books you may acquire and learn more. Go to
      > the internet and get yourself all the information you
      > need.
      >
      > Looking forward to hearing from you again.
      >
      > Sergio J. Montinola
      >

      > --- Diego wrote:
      > > Hi everybody
      > >
      > > I´m Diego Villegas, a new member. I´m thinking and
      > > planning about to
      > > try permaculture in Rain Forest in Perú, where I´m
      > > living and working.
      > >
      > > I´d be pleased to get some info or links to
      > > permaculture in tropics,
      > > ´cause here the agriculture is devastating woods.
      > >
      > > Also I got tired to be in an office trying
      > > "sustainable development"
      > > (to supply cities), and no getting any development
      > > to people.
      > >
      > > Well, I apologize about my poor english, it is not
      > > my native tongue.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >

      > Yahoo! Mail

    • Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2005
        Do you know some alternative ways to avoid burn woods and bushes as a
        traditional way to open new farms in tropical woods?

        it depend what you call farm land and what plants you want to establish in
        place of the original forest . In the tropic the "agressiveness" of the
        native vegetation can makes it hard to be on top of it , (cutting and
        mulching with the dead branches tronc etc.) as they grow back so fast .
        With the decision to supress destroy or at least alter an ecosytem, comes
        the responsibility of replacing it with a viable solution ( where all plants
        and animals introduced can find a balance between themselves and whatever
        native living beings you want to keep )
        so my advice go slow in the process of transforming an ecosytem into
        another. plant what you want and supress just what is needed( light wise
        especially ) by cutting and mulching and let the other aeras not yet planted
        , alone till you need the space occupied by the original ecosystem.
        overwise there is the danger for you to become slave of your desires ( not a
        good thing from a natural farming perspective )

        takes the time also , before doing anything else, to just observe and be in
        what is and apreciate each plants and animals for how they fit with the
        whole of the present ecosytem . there is here very valuable informations for
        you to learn and get inspired..
        jean-claude