couch grass and nettles

  • alice@am464.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2005
      Hi all,

      Things are progressing in my orchard plot. Beans and nasturiums
      are sprouting. There are a lot of nettles (urtica dioica) and
      masses of couch grass (agropyrum repens) which will have a go at
      strangling everything else if I don't tackle it.

      Yesterday I realised as I was working in the garden that instead
      of having an attitude of these being weeds that I had to get rid
      of, I could think of them as herbs that I was harvesting.

      So today I have a good armful of the finest nettle tips drying
      for teas and medicine and another armful of couch grass roots
      ready to cut up when they are dried. I'm hoping I will be able
      to find a herbalist or other people who want these herbs when
      they are processed.

      It took longer to harvest than just to clear, in my perception,
      but it felt like a much more positive activity. I felt like I
      was really learning from the orchard how to be a better human
      being.

      Blessings

      Alice
    • les landeck
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        Very Nice,

        some times i put all the extra herbs in a 55 gallon
        drum that had been use as food grade or take the end
        off a wine barrow put all your extra herbs seed tops
        and all into it and fill it with water pushing the
        herbs under water so as to make a tea for later use on
        your plants and the plant material as compost that
        does not fully break down minimum 30 day without
        adding anything i like 60 days or so if any seed or
        active root goes in and you will get a great compost
        tea. a bit of olive oil or other food grade is good
        for the mosquitoes with a lid, once a week push down
        the herbs into the water to speed the break down.

        Les

        --- alice@... wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Things are progressing in my orchard plot. Beans and
        > nasturiums
        > are sprouting. There are a lot of nettles (urtica
        > dioica) and
        > masses of couch grass (agropyrum repens) which will
        > have a go at
        > strangling everything else if I don't tackle it.
        >
        > Yesterday I realised as I was working in the garden
        > that instead
        > of having an attitude of these being weeds that I
        > had to get rid
        > of, I could think of them as herbs that I was
        > harvesting.
        >
        > So today I have a good armful of the finest nettle
        > tips drying
        > for teas and medicine and another armful of couch
        > grass roots
        > ready to cut up when they are dried. I'm hoping I
        > will be able
        > to find a herbalist or other people who want these
        > herbs when
        > they are processed.
        >
        > It took longer to harvest than just to clear, in my
        > perception,
        > but it felt like a much more positive activity. I
        > felt like I
        > was really learning from the orchard how to be a
        > better human
        > being.
        >
        > Blessings
        >
        > Alice

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Connie Kuramoto
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2005
          Nettle tea also makes a very good spray for the garden. Put a handful of nettles in a mesh bag and soak in a five gallon bucket for a few days, then dilute 1 part to 10 parts water and spray on plants. They are high in minerals, including silica which will help any plants struggling with disease or mineral dficiencies.
          Connie Kurmaoto
          Malaspina University College
          Horticulture Department