Message 5000

  • Mike Gibbons
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2005
      I like the zip files for offline reading of messages 1-3000. Is there
      an easy way to download 3001-4000 and soon 4001-5000? Or is that an
      administrative function?

      Mike
      Auckland NZ
    • alice@am464.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        Hi all,

        Things are progressing in my orchard plot. Beans and nasturiums
        are sprouting. There are a lot of nettles (urtica dioica) and
        masses of couch grass (agropyrum repens) which will have a go at
        strangling everything else if I don't tackle it.

        Yesterday I realised as I was working in the garden that instead
        of having an attitude of these being weeds that I had to get rid
        of, I could think of them as herbs that I was harvesting.

        So today I have a good armful of the finest nettle tips drying
        for teas and medicine and another armful of couch grass roots
        ready to cut up when they are dried. I'm hoping I will be able
        to find a herbalist or other people who want these herbs when
        they are processed.

        It took longer to harvest than just to clear, in my perception,
        but it felt like a much more positive activity. I felt like I
        was really learning from the orchard how to be a better human
        being.

        Blessings

        Alice
      • les landeck
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2005
          Very Nice,

          some times i put all the extra herbs in a 55 gallon
          drum that had been use as food grade or take the end
          off a wine barrow put all your extra herbs seed tops
          and all into it and fill it with water pushing the
          herbs under water so as to make a tea for later use on
          your plants and the plant material as compost that
          does not fully break down minimum 30 day without
          adding anything i like 60 days or so if any seed or
          active root goes in and you will get a great compost
          tea. a bit of olive oil or other food grade is good
          for the mosquitoes with a lid, once a week push down
          the herbs into the water to speed the break down.

          Les

          --- alice@... wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > Things are progressing in my orchard plot. Beans and
          > nasturiums
          > are sprouting. There are a lot of nettles (urtica
          > dioica) and
          > masses of couch grass (agropyrum repens) which will
          > have a go at
          > strangling everything else if I don't tackle it.
          >
          > Yesterday I realised as I was working in the garden
          > that instead
          > of having an attitude of these being weeds that I
          > had to get rid
          > of, I could think of them as herbs that I was
          > harvesting.
          >
          > So today I have a good armful of the finest nettle
          > tips drying
          > for teas and medicine and another armful of couch
          > grass roots
          > ready to cut up when they are dried. I'm hoping I
          > will be able
          > to find a herbalist or other people who want these
          > herbs when
          > they are processed.
          >
          > It took longer to harvest than just to clear, in my
          > perception,
          > but it felt like a much more positive activity. I
          > felt like I
          > was really learning from the orchard how to be a
          > better human
          > being.
          >
          > Blessings
          >
          > Alice

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Connie Kuramoto
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            Nettle tea also makes a very good spray for the garden. Put a handful of nettles in a mesh bag and soak in a five gallon bucket for a few days, then dilute 1 part to 10 parts water and spray on plants. They are high in minerals, including silica which will help any plants struggling with disease or mineral dficiencies.
            Connie Kurmaoto
            Malaspina University College
            Horticulture Department