Fukuoka farming in SW Montana

  • Nick Dobeck
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2005
      Hi,

      I live in SW Montana, Gallatin Valley, at about 5500 ft in a somewhat arid foothill region.

      Is there anyone active with Fukuoka farming in a similar situation?

      Main constraints are:

      short growing season.

      aridity (about 16 inches per year but less
      now as we are suffering through a serious
      drought.

      Strong winds

      Thanks,

      Nick Dobeck

    • les landeck
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2005
        Hi,

        you might be in that place that calls for tree
        planting to help bring more rain. how much land do you
        have to work with? tall wind breaks to the north west
        and north than some fruit trees that might take the
        weather in your area wide planted and mixed with some
        lower growing local trees widely planted do all of
        this from seed no transplants The transplants will be
        to weak and require water and the roots will not
        establish them the strength they will need with the
        wind. You need to slow the wind so plant a row with
        breaks in it than maybe another alternating to slow it
        again. Cut your grass and weeds before they make seed
        pile them on you bed areas as you would straw so as to
        bend the wild plants to the ground add all you can to
        stop the grasses from coming up through your cuttings
        as with a straw cover than water it down and seed out
        all the types of seed you would like to grow keep it
        watered a bit and wait to see what happens. most
        greens do not require full sun so planting them under
        the shade canopy of say an apple tree that could
        produce at that elevation would be good and the trees
        of many types will provide some frost protection to
        the plants under them. mustards, radish, many others
        can take the cold. may take 6 years or so but things
        will happen your observations will make the necessary
        adjustments.

        After a bit, Les

        --- Nick Dobeck <nicdob@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I live in SW Montana, Gallatin Valley, at about 5500
        > ft in a somewhat arid foothill region.
        >
        > Is there anyone active with Fukuoka farming in a
        > similar situation?
        >
        > Main constraints are:
        >
        > short growing season.
        >
        > aridity (about 16 inches per year but less
        > now as we are suffering through a serious
        > drought.
        >
        > Strong winds
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Nick Dobeck

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Aaron Thomas
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
          Dear everyone in this wonderful group!

          It is nice that there is an electronic copy of "One
          Straw Revolution" in the Files section of the group
          page at Yahoogroups.

          Is it possible to add photographs from the original
          book? Either adding photos into a PDF with the entire
          text, or having a separate file with just the photos?

          My sense is that these photos are very helpful in
          understanding the book, taking it to heart,
          understanding the person behind the text.

          I do not have the original book with photos here in
          Sweden so I cannot make those copies myself. I would
          be very grateful if anyone else would like to!

          With best wishes,
          Aaron