Re: [fukuoka_farming] The Reality of biodiversity in the USA

  • angela flynn
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2005
      Hello Everyone,

      Referring to Zack's concerns, I find this a difficult
      subject. I have been landscaping and organic farming
      for the last 15 years. Often I come across people who
      support native vs non natives. One of the arguments
      that I think JL Hudson espouses that makes sense to me
      is that humans are no different from other animals. A
      bird eats a seed and then disperses it. We are no
      different. On the other hand some plants are terribly
      invasive and there seems to be need for control. I
      hope that we are at the point where our knowledge can
      provide us with the insight to judge what should be
      controlled. Then again, on an entirely other hand,
      what may be considered an invasive unwanted plant may
      be a godsend (for lack of a better term) staring us in
      the face. In landscaping I find myself weeding out
      plants that are medicinal and nutritious to eat. If
      we were to start appreciating the use of invasive
      plants and start harvesting them for their use instead
      of tossing them into the compost pile maybe life might
      be a little easier. The craziest part of everything I
      see is that there is no time to do things right. I
      wonder where we ran out of time. I am in no way
      advocating the loss of native species. My topic is on
      the value of biodiverisity. I just wonder where our
      place is in the overalll scheme of things.

      ~ Angela Flynn

      Collective action accumulating from individual choices shapes the future. - Joe Sherman