The Reality of biodiversity in the USA

  • Zack Domike
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
      Hello gardeners,
      The issue of seed importation does not rest solely on
      the shoulders of the industry giants like Monsanto,
      but it is true that they are the only winners if that
      regulation is enforced. I would like to point out
      that the first comment came from "Laurence
      Hutchinson" <lh@...> - and
      the UK is an island.

      I am living in Chile, and the Andes, the Pacific, and
      the Atacama 'Driest-Desert-in-the-World' define the
      borders, so we are effectively an ecological island.
      The invasive species from Europe now dominate the
      landscape.

      I would strongly support a regulation like the
      phyto-sanitary certificate rule, if it were put in
      effect in 1492. The past 500 years have seen huge
      quantities of soil, plants, and animals shipped from
      Europe and Africa to the AMericas, so it is impossible
      to prevent infestation of alien exotics at this stage.
      For Monsanto, the 'certificate rule' is a mere
      pretense of ecological correctness, or for gardeners,
      a fantasy of purity.

      So please fight against that rule - it is meaningless
      in the USA. On the otherhand, it is important in
      Chile. It is one rule that is relatively well
      enforced.

      Chile has been overtaken by exotic species, and
      genetically engineered crops would be a drastic blow
      to diversity here. Chile is quite small, and already
      under seige. Rats, slugs, snail, fleas, and mink(!)
      are all imported, and thrive exceedingly well.

      The USA, on the other hand, has had open borders for
      so long, it can never recover to its pristine base.
      The fight against the free movement of seeds must go
      on!
      Sincerely,
      Zack
      ps:

      Even the lowly red wiggler earthworm is apparently
      orignally from Europe, and, although revered as a
      compost miracle worker, can be the Killer Worm!
      (http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/biology.html
      Earthworms many not want to eat the root itself, but
      they like to eat the bacteria and fungi close to the
      roots.

      http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/withsoil.html

      In the 1800s European settlers arrived, bringing with
      them European earthworm species in potted plants.
      European earthworms have been part of the habitats
      surrounding human habitation ever since.
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/09/000904130558.htm)

      > I hope that this action will still restricts alien
      > species from transfer
      > from one country to another as this is likely to
      > cause big problems for the
      > biodiversity and local ecology, apart from that
      > issue you have a good point.

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • aaron comsia
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2005
        Mr. Zack,
        I wonder what you think about Fukuoka sensei's idea of
        planting daikon (japanese radish) in soil depleted
        areas, i.e. his experience in California (even though
        it is not a native species)?

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • angela flynn
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13, 2005
          Hello Everyone,

          Referring to Zack's concerns, I find this a difficult
          subject. I have been landscaping and organic farming
          for the last 15 years. Often I come across people who
          support native vs non natives. One of the arguments
          that I think JL Hudson espouses that makes sense to me
          is that humans are no different from other animals. A
          bird eats a seed and then disperses it. We are no
          different. On the other hand some plants are terribly
          invasive and there seems to be need for control. I
          hope that we are at the point where our knowledge can
          provide us with the insight to judge what should be
          controlled. Then again, on an entirely other hand,
          what may be considered an invasive unwanted plant may
          be a godsend (for lack of a better term) staring us in
          the face. In landscaping I find myself weeding out
          plants that are medicinal and nutritious to eat. If
          we were to start appreciating the use of invasive
          plants and start harvesting them for their use instead
          of tossing them into the compost pile maybe life might
          be a little easier. The craziest part of everything I
          see is that there is no time to do things right. I
          wonder where we ran out of time. I am in no way
          advocating the loss of native species. My topic is on
          the value of biodiverisity. I just wonder where our
          place is in the overalll scheme of things.

          ~ Angela Flynn

          Collective action accumulating from individual choices shapes the future. - Joe Sherman