The importance of biodiversity

  • angela flynn
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
      The importance of biodiversity of life on earth should
      be fairly obvious. Along vith the backing of genetic
      modification, which leaves all of the modified
      organisms with the same dna, the USDA has attempted to
      severely limit and control our access to seeds. For
      those of you in the US you may want to send your
      comments to the USDA on the following. More
      information is available, along with a sample letter,
      at this link: (J.L.'s seed catalog is a treasure so
      be sure to check it out as well.

      http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/USDAComment.htm

      The USDA had planned to implement a new requirement on
      ALL IMPORTS, even of small packets for home gardeners.
      All imports are supposed to require an expensive
      phytosanitary certificate costing up to $60 per
      shipment. This was to take effect July 22nd, 2002.
      They claim the plan is now in effect, but they have
      not been enforcing it and have done some back-pedaling
      in public statements. Thanks to your letters, the plan
      has been delayed. We think they have realized from the
      great public outcry that this was a very bad idea, and
      simply don't intend to enforce it for small parcels,
      and hope the controversy quietly goes away.

      In the future, if enforcement is actually begun, all
      of you who have enjoyed ordering rare seeds from
      overseas or Canada from fine firms like Richter's,�
      Silverhill or Chilterns will find your orders much
      more expensive. Some small firms in out-of-the way
      regions may find it difficult or impossible to obtain
      these certificates. Even the� USDA, ARS (Agricultural
      Research Service) has objected to this unnecessary
      requirement!

      Please contact the USDA and object to this, as we must
      keep up the pressure to ensure that they do not begin
      enforcement. We should demand that the regulation
      actually be repealed, not just ignored, or it will
      resurface in coming years. We absolutely must insist
      that a small-parcel exemption be written into
      quarantine law - all parcels under 10 kg or $2000
      value should be enterable without permit or
      phytosanitary certificate, based on free, timely
      inspection at port-of-entry. We pay taxes for a
      competent inspection service, and should receive what
      we have paid for...

      Warm regards,

      Angela Flynn

      Collective action accumulating from individual choices shapes the future. - Joe Sherman

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Messenger
    • Laurence Hutchinson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
        I hope that this action will still restricts alien species from transfer
        from one country to another as this is likely to cause big problems for the
        biodiversity and local ecology, apart from that issue you have a good point.
        We too must remember that The US has banned the use of saved seeds in Iraq a
        traditional practice for 1000's of years, it is now against the law.

        > The importance of biodiversity of life on earth should
        > be fairly obvious. Along vith the backing of genetic
        > modification, which leaves all of the modified
        > organisms with the same dna, the USDA has attempted to
        > severely limit and control our access to seeds. For
        > those of you in the US you may want to send your
        > comments to the USDA on the following. More
        > information is available, along with a sample letter,
        > at this link: (J.L.'s seed catalog is a treasure so
        > be sure to check it out as well.
        >
        > http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/USDAComment.htm
        >
        > The USDA had planned to implement a new requirement on
        > ALL IMPORTS, even of small packets for home gardeners.
        > All imports are supposed to require an expensive
        > phytosanitary certificate costing up to $60 per
        > shipment. This was to take effect July 22nd, 2002.
        > They claim the plan is now in effect, but they have
        > not been enforcing it and have done some back-pedaling
        > in public statements. Thanks to your letters, the plan
        > has been delayed. We think they have realized from the
        > great public outcry that this was a very bad idea, and
        > simply don't intend to enforce it for small parcels,
        > and hope the controversy quietly goes away.
        >
        > In the future, if enforcement is actually begun, all
        > of you who have enjoyed ordering rare seeds from
        > overseas or Canada from fine firms like Richter's,
        > Silverhill or Chilterns will find your orders much
        > more expensive. Some small firms in out-of-the way
        > regions may find it difficult or impossible to obtain
        > these certificates. Even the USDA, ARS (Agricultural
        > Research Service) has objected to this unnecessary
        > requirement!
        >
        > Please contact the USDA and object to this, as we must
        > keep up the pressure to ensure that they do not begin
        > enforcement. We should demand that the regulation
        > actually be repealed, not just ignored, or it will
        > resurface in coming years. We absolutely must insist
        > that a small-parcel exemption be written into
        > quarantine law - all parcels under 10 kg or $2000
        > value should be enterable without permit or
        > phytosanitary certificate, based on free, timely
        > inspection at port-of-entry. We pay taxes for a
        > competent inspection service, and should receive what
        > we have paid for...
        >
        > Warm regards,
        >
        > Angela Flynn
        >

        > Collective action accumulating from individual choices shapes the
        > future. - Joe Sherman

      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2005
          Dear Laurence,

          Although I am not an American citizen, I wish to
          congratulate you for your noble stance on the
          importance of biodiversity.

          I ahve always admired the American democracy and free
          speech. Your plea is a very valid one and should be
          pursuted to its vision and mission for the greater
          glory of the worlds benefit.

          More power to you.

          Sergio J. Montinola
          Philippines