Re: [fukuoka_farming] KKbooks out of India

  • Lisa Winter
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
      jerry,
      i can't tell you how much i appreciate your response.
      i'm going to try exactly as you say. i won't be able
      to until next year, my husband and i will be moving to
      30 acres, where we are building a cob house. here i'm
      hoping to raise enough food for our family using
      fukouka's farming method. i want so much to be able
      to plant rice and other grains, just enough for our
      family. and i thought i would have to give up on the
      idea of rice. now, i know i won't. thanks so much
      for taking the time out to give me this information.
      it was most helpful.
      sincerely,
      lisa

      --- Jerry Hamilton <DH69JH@...> wrote:

      > Hi Lisa, the planting zone I am in is officially 5
      > but the lake effect from
      > Lake Erie sometimes prolongs the fall season so that
      > we do not get a killer
      > frost until the first week in November. There have
      > been exceptions both
      > earlier and a little later.
      > The method I use for rice is to fill a children's
      > wading pool with clean top
      > soil and water to make a muddy base. Then as the
      > water dries a little I put
      > down the rice seed and wait for it to sprout. I keep
      > the rice wet and let it
      > grow to several inches. Next I flood my planting
      > field with water from a
      > stream and as the muddy water settles I carefully
      > transplant the rice to my
      > field. I only plant enough for my family to eat. We
      > usually plant 20 lbs to
      > produce enough for several people over the Winter
      > until next harvest.
      > To overcome the tempature changes in September I
      > sometimes cover the small
      > area I plant with a plastic cover.( If I suspect a
      > frost will do me in.) My
      > planting area is uaually 6 ft. wide and 250 ft.
      > long. My drill is 6 ft. wide
      > and I go till we have no more seed to plant. So
      > depending on the drill
      > settings the length may vary.
      > I don't believe your area would present a problem in
      > growing rice. I have
      > upland rice that is for planting on the ground and I
      > have low land for a wet
      > area. 2 lbs would establish you and also provide
      > enough seeds to let you
      > continue to plant rice next year.
      > You really don't need a large area to plant enough
      > rice for 4 people. If you
      > take an area of your garden and keep it diked and
      > wet you can control the
      > flooding and be sucessful. I am lucky to have a
      > stream to divert but the
      > upland rice we use grows too. It just is not as
      > sucessful as the flooded
      > lowland type.
      > If you want a selection of rice seeds which would be
      > enough to get yo
      > started contact bountful@... they have a
      > catalog on line and you can
      > choose a short season rice. Order several packs and
      > that would be enough.
      > Also they have a rare grain catalog you can order
      > extra. Or you could order
      > whole rice unshelled from any health food store. If
      > none of this works send
      > me a note and maybe we can do more. Take care, as I
      > progress I will give
      > you a note from time to time. Jerry in Atwater,
      > Ohio USA Original
      > Message -----

      === message truncated ===
    • Jerry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
        Lisa, please correct the reference to the Rice supplier. The correct address
        is www.bontifulgardens.org and for $2.00 they have a rare grain catalog that
        will be redone and available some time in the future. Again, contact me if I
        can ever help out. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA