Re: [fukuoka_farming] concentric circles

  • Forest Shomer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2005
      At 3:57 PM +0000 3/30/05, fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >The Klebers also describe, as an example, the Kahumana mandala
      >gardens, Waianae Oahu, Hawaii. Anyone know more about this garden?

      Hi Malika,

      Happy spring! I hope that chill wind off the Noordzee is moderating by now.

      The gardens you are inquiring about are more likely called
      "Ka'ahumanu" after the great Hawaiian queen of that name. Waianae, on
      the dry (kona) side of Oahu is not particularly a garden spot and
      after some web searching and asking of my garden friends on the
      island from which I recently returned, there doesn't seem to be any
      information about this place.

      Toward windward of the Waianae Range is the Waimea Valley botanical
      garden, a vast and lovely repository of tropical plants. Enjoy the
      photos at:
      http://www.geocities.com/solidarus/waimeavalley.html

      No circle gardens there, however.

      Many years ago I had a circle garden. Two advantages of a circle
      garden are: easy to overhead-water with any pivot irrigation system
      or sprinkler; and no wasted corners, everything in the closest
      possible proximity.

      Blessings,

      Forest

      --