Concentric circles question

  • shebikes4
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 27, 2005
      Does anyone have experience with farming or gardening using concentric
      circles?

      -Sheila Baker
    • Clyde Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
        Never seen anything on this method.
        --- shebikes4 <shebikes4@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have experience with farming or
        > gardening using concentric
        > circles?
        >
        > -Sheila Baker

        When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
        And the women come out to cut up what remains,
        Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
        An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
        Rudyard Kipling

        Make Yahoo! your home page
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • lucia@lrw.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28, 2005
          > --- shebikes4 <shebikes4@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone have experience with farming or
          > > gardening using concentric circles?

          I don't have much experience with this but have read about it in Meachelle
          Small-wright's books. Her garden is circular. Her books include:

          Behaving as if the God in All Things Mattered
          Perelandra Garden Workbook

          Lucia
        • michael
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 29, 2005
            If you do so, use a maze such as the circular Chartres type and orient
            E-W properly. Two recent books on Labyrinths in your library cover the
            maze and orientation. Adjust the diameter to suit your space available.
            Some of the Chartres types are small.

            On Mar 28, 2005, at 7:59 PM, lucia@... wrote:

            >> --- shebikes4 <shebikes4@...> wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Does anyone have experience with farming or
            >>> gardening using concentric circles?
            >
            > I don't have much experience with this but have read about it in
            > Meachelle
            > Small-wright's books. Her garden is circular. Her books include:
            >
            > Behaving as if the God in All Things Mattered
            > Perelandra Garden Workbook
            >
            > Lucia
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Malika
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 29, 2005
              Hi there circle gardeners,

              me too I like the idea of circular gardens very much.
              I know a great book with examples of circle gardens, with fruit trees
              at the center and different concentric circles around them, with
              herbs, shrubs and annual vegetables. These circles widen or change as
              the trees mature.
              The book is called: 'Gaertnern im Biotop mit Mensch'
              Written by E.& G.Kleber, published by 'OLV Verlag' Xanten, Germany.
              ISBN: 3-922201-31-8 Yes, it's in German. :-)
              I'm not sure if there is a translation, but it might be well worth to
              look for it.

              I once designed a vegetable garden according to this system,
              combined with the approach of Gertrud Franck, who developed a
              sophisticated, no-till row system with combination planting, rotation,
              mulch, and cover crops. (I didn't get much change to see how it
              worked out though, since I had to move away from this land.)
              Franck uses straight rows, but this can easily be translated to circles,
              if you don't use mechanical weeding tools. Spinach plays a big role in
              her garden. Try and look for an English translation of her book too if
              you want to know more.

              The Klebers also describe, as an example, the Kahumana mandala
              gardens, Waianae Oahu, Hawaii. Anyone know more about this garden?

              Happy gardening!
              Spring greetings from Malika
              in The Netherlands
            • pollywog
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 19, 2005
                ---I just downloaded a copy of Franck's book, which is called
                "Companion Planting", in english, from Soil and Health Library. Lots
                of new material there, btw, he's been hard at it the past couple of
                months!
                http://soilandhealth.org
                deb
                http://intothecool.com

                In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Malika <malikinet@h...> wrote:
                > Franck uses straight rows, but this can easily be translated to circles,
                > if you don't use mechanical weeding tools. Spinach plays a big role in
                > her garden. Try and look for an English translation of her book too if
                > you want to know more.

              • Peter Legrove
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 21, 2005
                  Hi everybody
                  I went to the Fukuoka web page to look up something
                  and it has been taken over by a search engine.
                  Does anybody know where I can find some information
                  that was listed on that web page.
                  Thanks
                  Peter

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • William Stocker
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 21, 2005
                    The official Fukuoka web page is www.seedballs.com
                    both page and page 2 ---- William

                    > I went to the Fukuoka web page to look up something
                    > and it has been taken over by a search engine.
                    > Does anybody know where I can find some information
                    > that was listed on that web page.
                    > Thanks
                    > Peter

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Malika
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2005
                      Dear Peter and all,

                      you can find the Fukuoka Farming website at:

                      http://larryhaftl.com/ffo/

                      Lots of interesting articles and info there.

                      Enjoy!
                      Malika
                      in The Netherlands
                      ~~*~~
                    • Peter Legrove
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 23, 2005
                        Malika
                        Thanks for the website. I had the orginal on my
                        favourites then for some reason it was changed.
                        Thanks again
                        Peter

                        --- Malika <malikinet@...> wrote:
                        > Dear Peter and all,
                        >
                        > you can find the Fukuoka Farming website at:
                        >
                        > http://larryhaftl.com/ffo/
                        >
                        > Lots of interesting articles and info there.
                        >
                        > Enjoy!
                        > Malika
                        > in The Netherlands
                        > ~~*~~

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • berinerturk
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 26, 2005
                          Hi Pollywog,
                          I couldn't find Companion Planting at Soil and Health Library. Can
                          you tell me where?
                          Berin from Turkey

                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "pollywog" <debhlv@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > ---I just downloaded a copy of Franck's book, which is called
                          > "Companion Planting", in english, from Soil and Health Library. Lots
                          > of new material there, btw, he's been hard at it the past couple of
                          > months!
                          > http://soilandhealth.org
                          > deb
                          > http://intothecool.com
                          >
                          > In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Malika <malikinet@h...> wrote:
                          > > Franck uses straight rows, but this can easily be translated to
                          circles,
                          > > if you don't use mechanical weeding tools. Spinach plays a big
                          role in
                          > > her garden. Try and look for an English translation of her book
                          too if
                          > > you want to know more.

                        • Peter Legrove
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 26, 2005
                            Hi!!
                            I just downloaded a copy, excellent book.
                            Go to Personal Sovereignty library then look under
                            Homesteading.
                            All the best
                            Peter, New Zealand

                            http://mail.yahoo.com