KKbooks out of India

  • t6946jh
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2005
      Twice I have ordered all three of Fukuoka's farming books from
      KKbooks. When I sent my order in I got a receipt number and a note
      that the books were on their way.
      After 6 weeks on the first order I reordered and got another receipt
      number and still no books. A total of 7 weeks have passed and I
      finally ordered the book from a New Mexico web site someone
      graciously gave me. Now I have read the book but still am wondering
      about the India web site.
      Anyone have similiar experiences getting books from India or maybe I
      went about the process in the wrong way.
      Thanks, Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA
    • michael
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
        I have purchased books from India for 35 years. In the past I ordered
        directly from the publisher in India. They are very unlikely to want an
        unhappy customer as their books are out of the mainstream. Now I use a
        publisher's representative in the US but only for Molil and George,
        Allen & Unwin. In all cases I have been happy.

        I have had just your experience with Ethiopia. It took 5 sets of 6
        emails, spaced by minutes and all saying the same thing. The books then
        arrived in a box too large and unwrapped, in other words, trashed but
        readable. I think one has to remember the vastly different cultural
        practices in those countries. Imagine someone wrapping a book that
        costs more than their monthly salary, and you are ordering 3.

        That being said, I once ordered a book from Italy and never saw it or
        the money again. Egypt the same thing. First the money was taken out on
        the way to the publisher and second, the book was taken out on the way
        to me, presumably both by Egyptian postal or customs authorities.

        I regularly send cash to Germany and to Japan for books and always get
        the book in good condition in a timely manner. Different places,
        different customs.

        As a last note, use Western Union when sending money to a questionable
        place. They can only pick it up if they can prove who they are. It
        costs to do this and you still may not get the book but at least you
        know the money got there.

        On Mar 20, 2005, at 11:02 AM, t6946jh wrote:

        > Twice I have ordered all three of Fukuoka's farming books from
        > KKbooks. When I sent my order in I got a receipt number and a note
        > that the books were on their way.
        > After 6 weeks on the first order I reordered and got another receipt
        > number and still no books. A total of 7 weeks have passed and I
        > finally ordered the book from a New Mexico web site someone
        > graciously gave me. Now I have read the book but still am wondering
        > about the India web site.
        > Anyone have similiar experiences getting books from India or maybe I
        > went about the process in the wrong way.
        > Thanks, Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jerry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
          Michael, thank you for responding to my question about kk books. I had begun
          to wonder if there was anyone out there that could hear me. At any rate I
          will eventually have all 3 of Fukuoka's books. I have read 2 and feel
          comfortable trying his methods on my farm.
          I have ordered several grains and some short and long rice. By June I should
          have about 6 test plots of different combinations to try out his rotation
          system. I feel confident that by this fall I should be eating grain grown by
          Mr. Fukuoka's method.
          Finding organic, open polinated, grains can be an experience. I was caught
          off guard thinking that one could just order 20lbs of any grain. Well not
          so, I had to look around and chase different sources all over the USA. When
          I harvest this fall I shall keep a supply of each grain to share with any
          would be adventurers in farming that want to start a small plot in their
          back yard or garden.
          Thanks again for the note. If I can ever be of any help just send me a note.
          Jerry, in Atwater, Ohio USA.
          > I have purchased books from India for 35 years. In the past I ordered
          > directly from the publisher in India. They are very unlikely to want an
          > unhappy customer as their books are out of the mainstream. Now I use a
          > publisher's representative in the US but only for Molil and George,
          > Allen & Unwin. In all cases I have been happy.
          >
          > I have had just your experience with Ethiopia. It took 5 sets of 6
          > emails, spaced by minutes and all saying the same thing. The books then
          > arrived in a box too large and unwrapped, in other words, trashed but
          > readable. I think one has to remember the vastly different cultural
          > practices in those countries. Imagine someone wrapping a book that
          > costs more than their monthly salary, and you are ordering 3.
          >
          > That being said, I once ordered a book from Italy and never saw it or
          > the money again. Egypt the same thing. First the money was taken out on
          > the way to the publisher and second, the book was taken out on the way
          > to me, presumably both by Egyptian postal or customs authorities.
          >
          > I regularly send cash to Germany and to Japan for books and always get
          > the book in good condition in a timely manner. Different places,
          > different customs.
          >
          > As a last note, use Western Union when sending money to a questionable
          > place. They can only pick it up if they can prove who they are. It
          > costs to do this and you still may not get the book but at least you
          > know the money got there.
          >
          > On Mar 20, 2005, at 11:02 AM, t6946jh wrote:
          >

          > > Twice I have ordered all three of Fukuoka's farming books from
          > > KKbooks. When I sent my order in I got a receipt number and a note
          > > that the books were on their way.
          > > After 6 weeks on the first order I reordered and got another receipt
          > > number and still no books. A total of 7 weeks have passed and I
          > > finally ordered the book from a New Mexico web site someone
          > > graciously gave me. Now I have read the book but still am wondering
          > > about the India web site.
          > > Anyone have similiar experiences getting books from India or maybe I
          > > went about the process in the wrong way.
          > > Thanks, Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lisa Winter
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2005
            jerry, what planting zone will you be trying out the
            rice? is there other rice being grown in that area -
            or have you grown rice before by other methods. my
            husband and i would really like to plant rice, but we
            live in the northern part of missouri and are under
            the impression that it will not grow well here. but
            we don't know if that is just because it hasn't been
            tried. they do grow some rice in the very southern
            boothill of missouri where i understand it is much
            warmer. how will you try to flood your field
            initially? i would love to hear more about your
            experiences with this project. are you thinking about
            growing any grains also?
            thanks for whatever information.....
            lisa

            --- Jerry Hamilton <DH69JH@...> wrote:

            > Michael, thank you for responding to my question
            > about kk books. I had begun
            > to wonder if there was anyone out there that could
            > hear me. At any rate I
            > will eventually have all 3 of Fukuoka's books. I
            > have read 2 and feel
            > comfortable trying his methods on my farm.
            > I have ordered several grains and some short and
            > long rice. By June I should
            > have about 6 test plots of different combinations to
            > try out his rotation
            > system. I feel confident that by this fall I should
            > be eating grain grown by
            > Mr. Fukuoka's method.
            > Finding organic, open polinated, grains can be an
            > experience. I was caught
            > off guard thinking that one could just order 20lbs
            > of any grain. Well not
            > so, I had to look around and chase different sources
            > all over the USA. When
            > I harvest this fall I shall keep a supply of each
            > grain to share with any
            > would be adventurers in farming that want to start a
            > small plot in their
            > back yard or garden.
            > Thanks again for the note. If I can ever be of any
            > help just send me a note.
            > Jerry, in Atwater, Ohio USA.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/_HGP.B/6WnJAA/a8ILAA/bAOolB/TM

          • Jerry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2005
              Hi Lisa, the planting zone I am in is officially 5 but the lake effect from
              Lake Erie sometimes prolongs the fall season so that we do not get a killer
              frost until the first week in November. There have been exceptions both
              earlier and a little later.
              The method I use for rice is to fill a children's wading pool with clean top
              soil and water to make a muddy base. Then as the water dries a little I put
              down the rice seed and wait for it to sprout. I keep the rice wet and let it
              grow to several inches. Next I flood my planting field with water from a
              stream and as the muddy water settles I carefully transplant the rice to my
              field. I only plant enough for my family to eat. We usually plant 20 lbs to
              produce enough for several people over the Winter until next harvest.
              To overcome the tempature changes in September I sometimes cover the small
              area I plant with a plastic cover.( If I suspect a frost will do me in.) My
              planting area is uaually 6 ft. wide and 250 ft. long. My drill is 6 ft. wide
              and I go till we have no more seed to plant. So depending on the drill
              settings the length may vary.
              I don't believe your area would present a problem in growing rice. I have
              upland rice that is for planting on the ground and I have low land for a wet
              area. 2 lbs would establish you and also provide enough seeds to let you
              continue to plant rice next year.
              You really don't need a large area to plant enough rice for 4 people. If you
              take an area of your garden and keep it diked and wet you can control the
              flooding and be sucessful. I am lucky to have a stream to divert but the
              upland rice we use grows too. It just is not as sucessful as the flooded
              lowland type.
              If you want a selection of rice seeds which would be enough to get yo
              started contact bountful@... they have a catalog on line and you can
              choose a short season rice. Order several packs and that would be enough.
              Also they have a rare grain catalog you can order extra. Or you could order
              whole rice unshelled from any health food store. If none of this works send
              me a note and maybe we can do more. Take care, as I progress I will give
              you a note from time to time. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA Original
              Message -----
              > jerry, what planting zone will you be trying out the
              > rice? is there other rice being grown in that area -
              > or have you grown rice before by other methods. my
              > husband and i would really like to plant rice, but we
              > live in the northern part of missouri and are under
              > the impression that it will not grow well here. but
              > we don't know if that is just because it hasn't been
              > tried. they do grow some rice in the very southern
              > boothill of missouri where i understand it is much
              > warmer. how will you try to flood your field
              > initially? i would love to hear more about your
              > experiences with this project. are you thinking about
              > growing any grains also?
              > thanks for whatever information.....
              > lisa
              >

              > --- Jerry Hamilton <DH69JH@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Michael, thank you for responding to my question
              > > about kk books. I had begun
              > > to wonder if there was anyone out there that could
              > > hear me. At any rate I
              > > will eventually have all 3 of Fukuoka's books. I
              > > have read 2 and feel
              > > comfortable trying his methods on my farm.
              > > I have ordered several grains and some short and
              > > long rice. By June I should
              > > have about 6 test plots of different combinations to
              > > try out his rotation
              > > system. I feel confident that by this fall I should
              > > be eating grain grown by
              > > Mr. Fukuoka's method.
              > > Finding organic, open polinated, grains can be an
              > > experience. I was caught
              > > off guard thinking that one could just order 20lbs
              > > of any grain. Well not
              > > so, I had to look around and chase different sources
              > > all over the USA. When
              > > I harvest this fall I shall keep a supply of each
              > > grain to share with any
              > > would be adventurers in farming that want to start a
              > > small plot in their
              > > back yard or garden.
              > > Thanks again for the note. If I can ever be of any
              > > help just send me a note.
              > > Jerry, in Atwater, Ohio USA.

            • Lisa Winter
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2005
                jerry,
                i can't tell you how much i appreciate your response.
                i'm going to try exactly as you say. i won't be able
                to until next year, my husband and i will be moving to
                30 acres, where we are building a cob house. here i'm
                hoping to raise enough food for our family using
                fukouka's farming method. i want so much to be able
                to plant rice and other grains, just enough for our
                family. and i thought i would have to give up on the
                idea of rice. now, i know i won't. thanks so much
                for taking the time out to give me this information.
                it was most helpful.
                sincerely,

                === message truncated ===
              • Jerry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
                  Lisa, please correct the reference to the Rice supplier. The correct address
                  is www.bontifulgardens.org and for $2.00 they have a rare grain catalog that
                  will be redone and available some time in the future. Again, contact me if I
                  can ever help out. Jerry in Atwater, Ohio USA