Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: intro

  • BT Benjaminson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
      Carla, shalom from Israel,
      I am not yet so well versed in Fukuoka farming, I am just an ordinary
      permaculturist and sometime market gardener trying to grow food on a
      mountain.
      My short answer to your question about how much land it would take to feed
      yourself is: how's the soil? The deeper and more alive the soil, the less
      land you need.
      Other factors include the available water and the pattern of its
      availability, the available organic materials, patterns of sun and shade on
      the land, the temperatures, animal presence (both wild and domestic), your
      energies, the qualities of the seeds you have, etc.
      There is a book entitled "How to Grow more Vegetables on Less Land..." by
      John Jeavons. It covers biointensive growing that shares some
      characteristics with fukuoka. Forgive me if you already know about it.
      Anyway, because it hopes to enable people to eat well from less and less
      land, it includes some basic information on how much land it would take to
      feed a person. The growing of compost crops is included in the discussion so
      one could be enabled to become self sufficient for the ongoing fertility
      needs of the soil as well as for human food.
      I am interested in what you are posting. Please keep going. Your enthusiasm
      is very welcome!
      Bat-Tzion Benjaminson

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
        Bat-Tzion Benjaminson, frith from Seattle,

        Thank you for your recommendation! I will check that book out!

        Carla

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, BT Benjaminson <btbenj@n...>
        wrote:

        > Carla, shalom from Israel,
        > I am not yet so well versed in Fukuoka farming, I am just an
        ordinary
        > permaculturist and sometime market gardener trying to grow food on a
        > mountain.
        > My short answer to your question about how much land it would take
        to feed
        > yourself is: how's the soil? The deeper and more alive the soil,
        the less
        > land you need.
        > Other factors include the available water and the pattern of its
        > availability, the available organic materials, patterns of sun and
        shade on
        > the land, the temperatures, animal presence (both wild and
        domestic), your
        > energies, the qualities of the seeds you have, etc.
        > There is a book entitled "How to Grow more Vegetables on Less
        Land..." by
        > John Jeavons. It covers biointensive growing that shares some
        > characteristics with fukuoka. Forgive me if you already know about
        it.
        > Anyway, because it hopes to enable people to eat well from less and
        less
        > land, it includes some basic information on how much land it would
        take to
        > feed a person. The growing of compost crops is included in the
        discussion so
        > one could be enabled to become self sufficient for the ongoing
        fertility
        > needs of the soil as well as for human food.
        > I am interested in what you are posting. Please keep going. Your
        enthusiasm
        > is very welcome!
        > Bat-Tzion Benjaminson

      • peladang2010
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2010
          hi! i'm a city girl from kuala lumpur, capital city of malaysia and would like to eventually practice wholistic/organic farming. i was exposed to it more than 15 years ago when i visited a farm in lamphun in chiangmai but have lost touch/contact with them. the farm was called bhan phun mai or thousand trees foundation. anyone who knows of this contact or can put me in contact with someone from msia or thailand who can help me would be much appreciated. thks!
        • James
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 18, 2010
            Hello and welcome - the Rodale Institute has had a publication for over 30 years called the New Farm. You can find it online these days at:

            http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/

            There are many articles about natural and organic gardening/farming methods.

            Another site has many links to useful information at:

            http://attra.ncat.org/

            Best wishes

            Jim Snyder
            Edmore, MI