cattail as food?

  • Carla OHarris
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 2:15 PM
      Hej all,

      I found the following websites on cattail as a food!

      This plant grows wild in water streams, and doesn't have to be
      cultivated :

      http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/duffyk43.html

      and

      http://65.19.77.69/reporter/columns/3203nature.html :

      "The creeping rootstocks of the common cattail hold nutritious
      secrets. They contain a core of almost solid starch. The Indians
      discovered this and dug them up to grind them in to meal. A recent
      analysis of such meal by government chemists showed it to contain
      about the same amount of protein as in rice and corn flours, except
      with less fat.

      The stout, rope-like rhizomes that underlie such beds of cattails are
      filled with good eating. Roasted, or baked, they taste like sweet
      potatoes and are a great energy food. The raw rhizomes, peeled and
      dried, can easily be pounded into a white flour which has almost
      exactly the same nutrients as wheat flour. It even has gluten, so it
      can be made into a springy dough."

      Has anyone tried making bread with this cattail root powder?

      There is another reed plant, Arundo Donax, that is a rampant "weed"
      in America. Apparently it originally comes from Spain. I am trying to
      determine whether its rhizomes can be used in the same way as
      cattail. Does anyone know?

      Also, I found this :

      http://www.jackmtn.com/acornbread.html

      (sorry, I'm getting excited!)

      about making bread from acorns.

      Many recipes add other flours. Has anyone tried making acorn bread
      just from the acorns themselves?

      Carla O'Harris