Re: [fukuoka_farming] intro

  • alice@am464.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
      Hi Carla,

      Welcome. I'm a Quaker, we have a particular kind of paradise
      narrative - the traditional theological basis is that Christ has
      come again, and he leads us individually & collectively in
      building the Kingdom of Heaven, on earth - no "other" world.
      Quakers are related to other English Civil War (C17th) movements
      such as diggers and levellers who would plant commons for
      collective use etc.

      So Fukuoka's methods for me are part of building the heavenly
      abundance of food. I'm a PhD student in Environmental
      microbiology, and I am interested in the economics of inputs and
      outputs into farming systems: Fukuoka's methods seem very
      important in that respect.

      I agree about the volunteer crops. I'm just starting out with the
      Fukuoka method but I'm hoping that the seedballs I am putting
      down this year will set up a permanent garden, I plan to leave
      annuals to reseed themselves.

      I'm working with a small apple orchard plot. I have made
      seedballs with lots of edible plants in, everything that might
      grow in the climate (English Midlands) - lettuce & other greens,
      tomatoes, peas, beans, carrots, beet, courgettes, garlic, herbs
      and so on.

      Do you have a garden to learn with at the moment, Carla?

      Alice
    • Carla OHarris
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
        Hi Alice,

        I have always respected the Quakers, and am eager to learn more.

        The truth is I both do and don't have a garden to work in. I have
        some friends who let me use some of their land, but the problem is
        they hire 'gardeners' who come in and destroy most of what I do!
        Nevertheless, I have managed to get four avocado trees from seed to
        grow. They destroyed an apricot tree I got growing from seed, but I
        have another one growing where it's hard to get to. I was also
        pleased yesterday to see that carob seeds I had scattered years ago
        had begun to sprout -- there's a little, little carob tree growing! I
        also have a Valley Oak that's doing nicely.

        I had a "wild garden" going well for a while : fennel, potatoes,
        sorghum, millet, broccoli, pumpkin. It seemed to reseed itself well
        on its own -- all I did was dig up the soil at first (probably a
        mistake, interfering with the soil-organism), spread some mulch on
        it, and then scattered seed. It did well until the gardeners so
        habitually cut it back that the plants couldn't recover, and now it
        is all grass. The potatoes -- which I haven't harvested -- do seem to
        send up a sprout every year still, however. I wonder how long
        a "potato community" continues to grow on its own undisturbed.

        I am very interested in knowing how much acreage I would need to be
        self-sufficient to grow my own wheat, lentils, soybeans, and black
        beans. I am vegan, and so those grains/beans would be enough for me.
        Maybe some millet too.

        Does anyone here have any information on how much land that would
        take? It would be rad to envision grain/bean self-sufficiency. Is
        that possible using Fukuoka methods? I have a very small space, a
        little less than 1/3 of an acre.

        Carla O'Harris

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, alice@a... wrote:

        > Hi Carla,
        >
        > Welcome. I'm a Quaker, we have a particular kind of paradise
        > narrative - the traditional theological basis is that Christ has
        > come again, and he leads us individually & collectively in
        > building the Kingdom of Heaven, on earth - no "other" world.
        > Quakers are related to other English Civil War (C17th) movements
        > such as diggers and levellers who would plant commons for
        > collective use etc.
        >
        > So Fukuoka's methods for me are part of building the heavenly
        > abundance of food. I'm a PhD student in Environmental
        > microbiology, and I am interested in the economics of inputs and
        > outputs into farming systems: Fukuoka's methods seem very
        > important in that respect.
        >
        > I agree about the volunteer crops. I'm just starting out with the
        > Fukuoka method but I'm hoping that the seedballs I am putting
        > down this year will set up a permanent garden, I plan to leave
        > annuals to reseed themselves.
        >
        > I'm working with a small apple orchard plot. I have made
        > seedballs with lots of edible plants in, everything that might
        > grow in the climate (English Midlands) - lettuce & other greens,
        > tomatoes, peas, beans, carrots, beet, courgettes, garlic, herbs
        > and so on.
        >
        > Do you have a garden to learn with at the moment, Carla?
        >
        > Alice
      • BT Benjaminson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 14, 2005
          Carla, shalom from Israel,
          I am not yet so well versed in Fukuoka farming, I am just an ordinary
          permaculturist and sometime market gardener trying to grow food on a
          mountain.
          My short answer to your question about how much land it would take to feed
          yourself is: how's the soil? The deeper and more alive the soil, the less
          land you need.
          Other factors include the available water and the pattern of its
          availability, the available organic materials, patterns of sun and shade on
          the land, the temperatures, animal presence (both wild and domestic), your
          energies, the qualities of the seeds you have, etc.
          There is a book entitled "How to Grow more Vegetables on Less Land..." by
          John Jeavons. It covers biointensive growing that shares some
          characteristics with fukuoka. Forgive me if you already know about it.
          Anyway, because it hopes to enable people to eat well from less and less
          land, it includes some basic information on how much land it would take to
          feed a person. The growing of compost crops is included in the discussion so
          one could be enabled to become self sufficient for the ongoing fertility
          needs of the soil as well as for human food.
          I am interested in what you are posting. Please keep going. Your enthusiasm
          is very welcome!
          Bat-Tzion Benjaminson

> [...]
          > >
          > > So Fukuoka's methods for me are part of building the heavenly
          > > abundance of food. I'm a PhD student in Environmental
          > > microbiology, and I am interested in the economics of inputs and
          > > outputs into farming systems: Fukuoka's methods seem very
          > > important in that respect.
          > >
          > > I agree about the volunteer crops. I'm just starting out with the
          > > Fukuoka method but I'm hoping that the seedballs I am putting
          > > down this year will set up a permanent garden, I plan to leave
          > > annuals to reseed themselves.
          > >
          > > I'm working with a small apple orchard plot. I have made
          > > seedballs with lots of edible plants in, everything that might
          > > grow in the climate (English Midlands) - lettuce & other greens,
          > > tomatoes, peas, beans, carrots, beet, courgettes, garlic, herbs
          > > and so on.
          > >
          > > Do you have a garden to learn with at the moment, Carla?

        • Carla OHarris
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2005
            Bat-Tzion Benjaminson, frith from Seattle,

            Thank you for your recommendation! I will check that book out!

            Carla

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, BT Benjaminson <btbenj@n...>
            wrote:

            > Carla, shalom from Israel,
            > I am not yet so well versed in Fukuoka farming, I am just an
            ordinary
            > permaculturist and sometime market gardener trying to grow food on a
            > mountain.
            > My short answer to your question about how much land it would take
            to feed
            > yourself is: how's the soil? The deeper and more alive the soil,
            the less
            > land you need.
            > Other factors include the available water and the pattern of its
            > availability, the available organic materials, patterns of sun and
            shade on
            > the land, the temperatures, animal presence (both wild and
            domestic), your
            > energies, the qualities of the seeds you have, etc.
            > There is a book entitled "How to Grow more Vegetables on Less
            Land..." by
            > John Jeavons. It covers biointensive growing that shares some
            > characteristics with fukuoka. Forgive me if you already know about
            it.
            > Anyway, because it hopes to enable people to eat well from less and
            less
            > land, it includes some basic information on how much land it would
            take to
            > feed a person. The growing of compost crops is included in the
            discussion so
            > one could be enabled to become self sufficient for the ongoing
            fertility
            > needs of the soil as well as for human food.
            > I am interested in what you are posting. Please keep going. Your
            enthusiasm
            > is very welcome!
            > Bat-Tzion Benjaminson

          • peladang2010
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 17, 2010
              hi! i'm a city girl from kuala lumpur, capital city of malaysia and would like to eventually practice wholistic/organic farming. i was exposed to it more than 15 years ago when i visited a farm in lamphun in chiangmai but have lost touch/contact with them. the farm was called bhan phun mai or thousand trees foundation. anyone who knows of this contact or can put me in contact with someone from msia or thailand who can help me would be much appreciated. thks!
            • James
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 18, 2010
                Hello and welcome - the Rodale Institute has had a publication for over 30 years called the New Farm. You can find it online these days at:

                http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/

                There are many articles about natural and organic gardening/farming methods.

                Another site has many links to useful information at:

                http://attra.ncat.org/

                Best wishes

                Jim Snyder
                Edmore, MI