Potatoes okay, what about carrots?

  • Mike Gibbons
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2005
      Thanks to those who suggested I grow potatoes in mulch to avoid
      disturbing the earth. They seem to be coming along quite nicely now.
      The proof will be in the picking.

      I am quite happy about transplanting seedlings into a mulched garden.
      But there are some plants that I really must grow from seed. Carrots,
      for example.

      If I have a heavily mulched garden ready for carrots, how do I sow the
      seeds? Surely not on top of the mulch? Under the mulch would be too
      deep. After all, isn't one of the reasons for mulch to stop weed
      germination?

      Any ideas?

      Mike
      Auckland
    • les landeck
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Mike,

        Last April we planted three 4' by 80 beds alternating
        every 4 paces carrots and mixed beet seed over seed a
        bit. allowing 6" between rows across the beds this
        doubled our total seed row.

        As to your question, with undisturbed soil and natural
        grasses we put down a thick layer of straw hiding the
        grass than a little composted chicken manure mix with
        rice hauls and a three to four inch layer of wood chip
        fines marked our rows, seeded, and sprinkled a very
        small amount of good compost just over the seed rows.
        pulled over 100 pounds per week for five months and
        are still harvesting for personal use might just make
        it to April. we did go way over board on the seed but
        that was OK soon as they started sizing up we were
        pulling an so thinning beets tend to swell on top of
        the mulch easy to fined the big ones carrots about the
        same best to plant a wide shouldered carrot if you
        over seed a bit they don't tend to twist up together.

        Les

        --- Mike Gibbons <mikegbbns@...> wrote:

        > Thanks to those who suggested I grow potatoes in
        > mulch to avoid
        > disturbing the earth. They seem to be coming along
        > quite nicely now.
        > The proof will be in the picking.
        >
        > I am quite happy about transplanting seedlings into
        > a mulched garden.
        > But there are some plants that I really must grow
        > from seed. Carrots,
        > for example.
        >
        > If I have a heavily mulched garden ready for
        > carrots, how do I sow the
        > seeds? Surely not on top of the mulch? Under the
        > mulch would be too
        > deep. After all, isn't one of the reasons for mulch
        > to stop weed
        > germination?
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Mike
        > Auckland

        __________________________________
        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      • Mike Gibbons
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
          Thanks Les. Just a clarification though since I am not sure I am
          reading you right:

          1. Mulch with your recipe. (I have used something very similar for my
          tomatoes. Very good)
          2. Seeds on top of mulch
          3. Compost on seeds
          4. Leave for a while, thinning where necessary
          5. Harvest like crazy

          Maybe a question, please, closer related to my exercise?

          1. I have a chicken coop on top of my garden for two weeks. During
          that time they are given mulch in the form of hay, and grass, and
          whatever, along with their food. They scratch aroubd for as while - at
          the end of the two weeks I am ready to plant. All the weeds have gone
          and I have added a whole bunch of stuff that will compost down and
          provide nutrients.
          2. Do you think I can do the same with my carrot seeds. On top and
          covered with compost? Followed by waiting and eating?

          I am not too worried about the carrots growing into the earth. At
          least I can see where they are and the disturbance at harvest is
          small. With potatoes you've just got to dig the whole garden (not any
          more - of course)

          Mike Gibbons
          Auckland

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, les landeck
          <offeringsoftheland@y...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > Last April we planted three 4' by 80 beds alternating
          > every 4 paces carrots and mixed beet seed over seed a
          > bit. allowing 6" between rows across the beds this
          > doubled our total seed row.
          >
          > As to your question, with undisturbed soil and natural
          > grasses we put down a thick layer of straw hiding the
          > grass than a little composted chicken manure mix with
          > rice hauls and a three to four inch layer of wood chip
          > fines marked our rows, seeded, and sprinkled a very
          > small amount of good compost just over the seed rows.
          > pulled over 100 pounds per week for five months and
          > are still harvesting for personal use might just make
          > it to April. we did go way over board on the seed but
          > that was OK soon as they started sizing up we were
          > pulling an so thinning beets tend to swell on top of
          > the mulch easy to fined the big ones carrots about the
          > same best to plant a wide shouldered carrot if you
          > over seed a bit they don't tend to twist up together.
          >
          > Les
          >

          > --- Mike Gibbons <mikegbbns@y...> wrote:
          >

          > > Thanks to those who suggested I grow potatoes in
          > > mulch to avoid
          > > disturbing the earth. They seem to be coming along
          > > quite nicely now.
          > > The proof will be in the picking.
          > >
          > > I am quite happy about transplanting seedlings into
          > > a mulched garden.
          > > But there are some plants that I really must grow
          > > from seed. Carrots,
          > > for example.
          > >
          > > If I have a heavily mulched garden ready for
          > > carrots, how do I sow the
          > > seeds? Surely not on top of the mulch? Under the
          > > mulch would be too
          > > deep. After all, isn't one of the reasons for mulch
          > > to stop weed
          > > germination?
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Mike
          > > Auckland

          > __________________________________
          > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • Beatrice Gilboa
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
            >> I grow potatoes in mulch to avoid disturbing the earth. They seem to be coming along quite nicely now.
            The proof will be in the picking.

            - take well care to keep enough mulch... I had experienced once when I wasn't too much looking at it, that the potatoes get green because the mulch "desapear under the potatoes"

            >> If I have a heavily mulched garden ready for carrots, how do I sow the
            seeds? Surely not on top of the mulch? Under the mulch would be too
            deep. // Any ideas?

            - You can remove a narrow line or spots just were you want to seed them.

            Best wishes
            Beatrice
            Udim, Israel

          • Mike Gibbons
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005

              > >> If I have a heavily mulched garden ready for carrots, how do I
              sow the
              > seeds? Surely not on top of the mulch? Under the mulch would be too
              > deep. // Any ideas?
              >
              > - You can remove a narrow line or spots just were you want to seed them.

              If the mulch is 150mm deep and I remove it to the soil, a narrow line,
              or spot, will just fill back in. Or, more likely, since the spacing
              is quite close, the lines and spots will join each other and there
              will be only 75mm mulch between them. Am I thinking this thing through
              incorrectly? Do I only remove a little mulch and grow the carrots in
              the mulch?

              Thanks
              Mike
              Auckland
            • francisco
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
                for carrots you pull the mulch apart down to soil, generally wonderfully
                friable under the mulch. must pull the mulch making wide avenues of clear
                soil and sow the carrots on the clean soil. as the arrots grow and after
                the thinning, you can gradually move the mulch back on top . I have never do
                it because the birds do it for me. if the mulch is not wide apart to start
                with, the doings of the birds may cover the seeds or seedlings wit a thick
                layer of mulch and prevent them from growing.
                francisco
                Potatoes okay, what about carrots?

                > Thanks to those who suggested I grow potatoes in mulch to avoid
                > disturbing the earth. They seem to be coming along quite nicely now.
                > The proof will be in the picking.
                >
                > I am quite happy about transplanting seedlings into a mulched garden.
                > But there are some plants that I really must grow from seed. Carrots,
                > for example.
                >
                > If I have a heavily mulched garden ready for carrots, how do I sow the
                > seeds? Surely not on top of the mulch? Under the mulch would be too
                > deep. After all, isn't one of the reasons for mulch to stop weed
                > germination?
                >
                > Any ideas?
                >
                > Mike
                > Auckland
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • les landeck
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
                  Hi Mike,

                  I hope that nothing I have said on this site has been
                  taken as a how to do it. What I want to present is how
                  I do it so I may compare your thoughts and ideas to my
                  experiences and learn from you also as you are trying
                  to understand my needs. My way will not fit many
                  places, this area only gets snow or below 25 degree
                  temps maybe every 5 years started my California tan in
                  December.

                  I,m going to break down your questions, so read
                  between your lines.

                  --- Mike Gibbons <mikegbbns@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Les. Just a clarification though since I am
                  > not sure I am
                  > reading you right:
                  >
                  > 1. Mulch with your recipe. (I have used something
                  > very similar for my
                  > tomatoes. Very good)

                  With tomato or squash cuc's what ever of the more long
                  term crops part the mulch for seed or transplants is
                  what I do.

                  The mulch is what it is provides food and habitat for
                  life while maintaining moisture levels that life
                  requires to be present.

                  > 2. Seeds on top of mulch

                  I do but I have used many different types and each I
                  have to tweak a different way.

                  > 3. Compost on seeds

                  First time last year we were using a pure carbon as
                  they say mulch of wood chip fines the most dense mulch
                  i have come across, remind me not to do that again.

                  But it was there and I wanted to learn.

                  These wood fines were running the full 800 parts
                  carbon count as in never do this, so I top off the
                  seed with some good compost. would I do it again that
                  way, well no but maybe.

                  It's Grand when we can have fun.

                  > 4. Leave for a while, thinning where necessary

                  I (strong statement) don't thin the baby's, know mater
                  how much seed i drop. I allow them to develop and
                  start harvesting as a thinning method. I will attempt
                  to go into that later if you are interested.

                  5. Harvest like crazy

                  It's always a bit that way as a market grower, but
                  this way does add extra time. I'm after flavor not the
                  perfect carrot appearance.

                  > Maybe a question, please, closer related to my
                  > exercise?
                  >
                  > 1. I have a chicken coop on top of my garden for two
                  > weeks. During
                  > that time they are given mulch in the form of hay,
                  > and grass, and
                  > whatever, along with their food. They scratch around
                  > for as while - at
                  > the end of the two weeks I am ready to plant. All
                  > the weeds have gone
                  > and I have added a whole bunch of stuff that will
                  > compost down and
                  > provide nutrients.

                  This is all good from my experience 15 years ago with
                  chicken tractors. But I found the grasses would
                  regenerate quite fast. you have added straw if this is
                  giving you a light barrier that reduces the regrowth
                  of the grasses for two to three weeks, so your young
                  plants can get going than all is good. If not than you
                  need to think what you need to do to tweak that.

                  Maybe that after the chickens are moved you need to
                  add more straw or a light layer of good compost free
                  of seed of any type.

                  This is do nothing farming. That means we need to
                  think and work like hell to do nothing. OK with the Ha
                  Ha

                  > 2. Do you think I can do the same with my carrot
                  > seeds. On top and
                  > covered with compost?

                  In the right soil or compost with carrot seed or
                  smaller I have been known not to cover any seed thats
                  what the rain is for. Yes some say but the birds, I
                  have lots of birds on the fields that I have built we
                  always get along. Top seeding in good soil or mulch
                  will greatly increase your germination if NOTE if you
                  maintain your moisture the first four to seven days.
                  If not its for the birds.

                  Followed by waiting and
                  > eating?

                  Great time to be Thankful for

                  > I am not too worried about the carrots growing into
                  > the earth.

                  I had a heavy soil system last year it was easier for
                  them to grow up rather than down, thats all.

                  At
                  > least I can see where they are and the disturbance
                  > at harvest is
                  > small.

                  To me being concerned about disturbance is all thats
                  important. And letting that go so we may exchange
                  ideas as to what we are trying so that between us one
                  of us sees a new understanding.

                  With potatoes you've just got to dig the
                  > whole garden (not any
                  > more - of course)

                  Life understands our need to learn, long as we put out
                  the request for that knowledge and desire to learn
                  thing I believe will be OK.

                  I've done many all nighters over that one, we just
                  have to try each day to understand that tiny bit more
                  of how to respect all life.

                  > Mike Gibbons
                  > Auckland

                  Hope you had fun, I did Les

                  > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, les landeck
                  > <offeringsoftheland@y...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Hi Mike,
                  > >
                  > > Last April we planted three 4' by 80 beds
                  > alternating
                  > > every 4 paces carrots and mixed beet seed over
                  > seed a
                  > > bit. allowing 6" between rows across the beds this
                  > > doubled our total seed row.
                  > >
                  > > As to your question, with undisturbed soil and
                  > natural
                  > > grasses we put down a thick layer of straw hiding
                  > the
                  > > grass than a little composted chicken manure mix
                  > with
                  > > rice hauls and a three to four inch layer of wood
                  > chip
                  > > fines marked our rows, seeded, and sprinkled a
                  > very
                  > > small amount of good compost just over the seed
                  > rows.
                  > > pulled over 100 pounds per week for five months
                  > and
                  > > are still harvesting for personal use might just
                  > make
                  > > it to April. we did go way over board on the seed
                  > but
                  > > that was OK soon as they started sizing up we were
                  > > pulling an so thinning beets tend to swell on top
                  > of
                  > > the mulch easy to fined the big ones carrots about
                  > the
                  > > same best to plant a wide shouldered carrot if you
                  > > over seed a bit they don't tend to twist up
                  > together.
                  > >
                  > > Les
                  > >

                  > > --- Mike Gibbons <mikegbbns@y...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Thanks to those who suggested I grow potatoes in
                  > > > mulch to avoid
                  > > > disturbing the earth. They seem to be coming
                  > along
                  > > > quite nicely now.
                  > > > The proof will be in the picking.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am quite happy about transplanting seedlings
                  > into
                  > > > a mulched garden.
                  > > > But there are some plants that I really must
                  > grow
                  > > > from seed. Carrots,
                  > > > for example.
                  > > >
                  > > > If I have a heavily mulched garden ready for
                  > > > carrots, how do I sow the
                  > > > seeds? Surely not on top of the mulch? Under the
                  > > > mulch would be too
                  > > > deep. After all, isn't one of the reasons for
                  > mulch
                  > > > to stop weed
                  > > > germination?
                  > > >
                  > > > Any ideas?
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike
                  > > > Auckland

                  > > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                  > > Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web
                  > > http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/

                  Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!